Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Score is back?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

I don't understand this thread at all - or the overall opinion/mentality that people who collect for profit are some bad guys to hate on? It's not like the profiters are going to school yards and beating up kids to take cards and sell them on ebay - they're for the most part just participating in buying/selling cards which is, from upper deck's perspective, the entire point for the cards to exist. If cards were just some fun hobby for people like us to enjoy they wouldn't cost the ungodly amounts of money that they do - do you really think products that cost more than a car payment for a handful of cards are designed for the love and enjoyment of the game? they're meant to artificially create value to encourage the perception of true value which drives people to want to acquire them which, for most people, the root of that desire is to hold value which can be converted into higher value through effort or time

if people want to buy/sell or collect for no other reason than to try and make money what is the harm in that? If there's anyone that deserves the negativity it's upper deck who is creating the environment in which that form of hobby participation is encouraged and fostered

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I don't understand this thread at all - or the overall opinion/mentality that people who collect for profit are some bad guys to hate on? It's not like the profiters are going to school yards and beating up kids to take cards and sell them on ebay - they're for the most part just participating in buying/selling cards which is, from upper deck's perspective, the entire point for the cards to exist. If cards were just some fun hobby for people like us to enjoy they wouldn't cost the ungodly amounts of money that they do - do you really think products that cost more than a car payment for a handful of cards are designed for the love and enjoyment of the game? they're meant to artificially create value to encourage the perception of true value which drives people to want to acquire them which, for most people, the root of that desire is to hold value which can be converted into higher value through effort or time

if people want to buy/sell or collect for no other reason than to try and make money what is the harm in that? If there's anyone that deserves the negativity it's upper deck who is creating the environment in which that form of hobby participation is encouraged and fostered

I will respond with a PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You should never assume. Don't you know about that word? "It makes an a** out of u and me". A kind word of advice: Never speak for someone if you don't know how they feel or where they stand. Yes, I am sure some of the players like signing, but I don't think their as eager to do so as you think.

Remember, it isn't only the Future Watch they would be asked to sign. If a top rookie is approached by Upper Deck to sign Future Watch cards, it is also likely that a fair number of them will also be asked to sign cards for other sets. Here is a list of cards Auston Matthews had to sign in his rookie year:

999 Future Watch patch cards
    1 SP Game Used autographed rookie card
    SP Game Used Autographs Blue cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    SP Game Used Banner Year Draft Autographed cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    10 SP Game Used Draft Day Marks cards
    SP Game Used Red Jersey AU cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    25 SP Game Used Red Spectrum Patch AU cards
    35 SP Game Used Rookie Sweaters JSY AU cards
    SP Game Used Rookie Sweaters Inked Patch cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    25 SPx Blue cards
    25 SPx Extraordinary Material Autographs Black cards
    SPx Extreme Black Holo Shield Autographed cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    99 SPx Gold Patch cards
    5 SPx Rookies Black Tag AU cards
    10 SPx Rookies Blue AU cards
    25 SPx Rookies Gold AU cards
    10 The Cup '05-06 Rookie Tribute Patch AU cards
    99 The Cup Autographed Rookie Patch cards
    1 The Cup Black Autographed Rookie Patch card
    1 The Cup Black Shield card
    The Cup Brilliance Autographs (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    10 The Cup Cup Foundations Patch cards
    15 The Cup Emblems of Endorsement cards
    15 The Cup Foundations Jersey Autographs cards
    1 The Cup Foundations Jersey Tag Autographs cards
    5 The Cup Foundations Patch Autographs cards
    1 The Cup Foundations Premium Material Tag Autographs card
    12 The Cup Gold cards
    24 The Cup Gold Spectrum cards
    34 The Cup Honorable Numbers cards
    50 The Cup Limited Logos cards
    6 The Cup Monumental Rookie Patch Autographs cards
    10 The Cup NHL Glory Autographs cards
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Black U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Black R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Cyan U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Cyan R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Magenta U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Magenta R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Yellow U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Yellow R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Yellow card
    4 The Cup Red TAG AU cards
    18 The Cup Rookie Bookmarks Dual Autographs cards
    24 The Cup Rookie Gear Relic Autographs cards
    35 The Cup Scripted Materials cards
    15 The Cup Scripted Materials Dual cards
    99 The Cup Signature Materials cards
    15 The Cup Signature Materials Dual cards
    The Cup Signature Renditions (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    The Cup Signature Renditions Combos (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    The Cup The Show Autographs (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    1 The Cup Top 10 Picks Autographs card
    1 The Cup Top 10 Picks Autographs Black card

NOT FUN. Especially when you know that people are only going to try to make large profits on many of them.

Upper Deck would not like me if I was a player. I wouldn't sign anything, knowing what happens in the hobby. I would adopt the Golden Knights autograph policy. I'd sign for children only.

The spirit of your post is that we adult collectors are a tremendous burden to the rookies of the game and are doing them a disservice collecting their cards.
    If you truly believe that (I don't think you do, I think you're arguing for arguing's sake), then why do you specifically collect autographed Future Watches? The very cards that are the bane of the hobby in your argument above.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

The spirit of your post is that we adult collectors are a tremendous burden to the rookies of the game and are doing them a disservice collecting their cards.
    If you truly believe that (I don't think you do, I think you're arguing for arguing's sake), then why do you specifically collect autographed Future Watches? The very cards that are the bane of the hobby in your argument above.

You read that VERY wrong. Upper Deck is a burden to the rookies. These players shouldn't have to sign thousands of cards, and I do not understand the obsession with autographs.

You also have me figured wrong. I do not specifically collect Future Watch Autos. Look at my collection in my Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150712...57683501949573

and look at my wantlist on SCF:
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...-in-one-thread

As you can see, I have rookies from a host of sets besides SP Authentic. I have rookies from the basic Upper Deck sets, Black Diamond, SP, Parkhurst, UD Premier Collection, Upper Deck Ice, O-Pee-Chee, Be A Player, OPC Premier, pre-2005 ITG, Donruss, Donruss Preferred, Titanium, Trilogy, Contenders, UD Rookie Update, Pro Set, Ultimate Collection, Fleer Showcase, and more. My wants have a similar span.

I collect decent rookie cards of key players around the league. It just so happens that many of the decent rookie cards are signed Future Watch. I want LESS signed Future Watch cards in sets moving forward. As I said in a previous post in this thread, I would like to see a set similar to the 2000-01 set that has no signed rookies at all.

Yes, about half of my PC is SP Authentic rookies, but 228 of those are not signed. Nico Hischier, Pavel Datsyuk, Martin Jones, Jake DeBrusk, John Klingberg, Max Pacioretty, Milan Hejduk, Marian Gaborik, Nolan Patrick, Rickard Rakell, Cory Crawford, Brent Burns, Roman Josi, and Joe Pavelski are just some of the key players in my collection who have unsigned Future Watch cards.

My only requirement for collecting a rookie card is that they are key players.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

My heart weeps for poor ole Auston Mathews. Having to sign his own name a few thousand times, my god, the humanity.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

My heart weeps for poor ole Auston Mathews. Having to sign his own name a few thousand times, my god, the humanity.

Your sentiment is exactly the problem. Collectors don't give a damn how many he and other players have to sign.

Your sarcasm aside, you should feel bad. That's a lot of stress on the hand and wrist, you know. And he wasn't the only one - I have a feeling that if I did research on other players like Matthew Tkachuk, Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho Patrik Laine, Mitch Marner, and Ivan Provorov, the results would be the same. Most signatures are rushed or initialed so sometimes the quality isn't great.

I have a feeling that many players hate the thought of sitting on their rear for hours signing cards for what basically amounts to impatient, greedy people - many of whom have no intention of keeping the cards they sign and seek to make a profit.

Yes, a great deal of the rookies in my collection are signed. Not much I can do about that; I've collected SP Authentic from the beginning - before the rookie cards were signed. I loved those early sets! They had full action shots of the players and weren't cut in half to make room for a signature that you more than likely won't make out. Cursive writing is almost a thing of the past so I wonder what will constitute an "autograph" in the future?

I'd love for Upper Deck to issue an SP Authentic set with plain rookie cards again. No signatures, no jersey pieces or other equipment pieces. No frills whatsoever. Just cards of hockey players. Honestly, there are quite a few players who have unsigned Future Watch cards and they still sell and trade well, like Jonathan Quick, Max Pacioretty, Pavel Datsyuk, Jack Eichel, and for some strange reason, Brian Rust.

I said it before and I'll say it again: If you want to make money, see a financial adviser. I want the trading to return!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Your sentiment is exactly the problem. Collectors don't give a damn how many he and other players have to sign.

Your sarcasm aside, you should feel bad. That's a lot of stress on the hand and wrist, you know. And he wasn't the only one - I have a feeling that if I did research on other players like Matthew Tkachuk, Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho Patrik Laine, Mitch Marner, and Ivan Provorov, the results would be the same. Most signatures are rushed or initialed so sometimes the quality isn't great.

I have a feeling that many players hate the thought of sitting on their rear for hours signing cards for what basically amounts to impatient, greedy people - many of whom have no intention of keeping the cards they sign and seek to make a profit.

Yes, a great deal of the rookies in my collection are signed. Not much I can do about that; I've collected SP Authentic from the beginning - before the rookie cards were signed. I loved those early sets! They had full action shots of the players and weren't cut in half to make room for a signature that you more than likely won't make out. Cursive writing is almost a thing of the past so I wonder what will constitute an "autograph" in the future?

I'd love for Upper Deck to issue an SP Authentic set with plain rookie cards again. No signatures, no jersey pieces or other equipment pieces. No frills whatsoever. Just cards of hockey players. Honestly, there are quite a few players who have unsigned Future Watch cards and they still sell and trade well, like Jonathan Quick, Max Pacioretty, Pavel Datsyuk, Jack Eichel, and for some strange reason, Brian Rust.

I said it before and I'll say it again: If you want to make money, see a financial adviser. I want the trading to return!

Personally I just collect for fun. I like to organize them, look at them, display them, maybe even trade a few for something different. I don't know about others but some of my favorite cards are not that valuable but have a cool design that appeals to me. Hockey cards help me remember what its like to be a kid again. Part of that is having a rookie card but I don't care if is autographed or not Most auto's are not that visually appealing, for reasons you have mentioned, so its no big deal for me if a player doesn't want to sign.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

This thread has gone down a very weird and deep rabbit hole. Let's get back to talking about how these score cards are ugly. If you want to talk about whether or not there's too many rookie autographs, start a new thread

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Personally I just collect for fun. I like to organize them, look at them, display them, maybe even trade a few for something different. I don't know about others but some of my favorite cards are not that valuable but have a cool design that appeals to me. Hockey cards help me remember what its like to be a kid again. Part of that is having a rookie card but I don't care if is autographed or not Most auto's are not that visually appealing, for reasons you have mentioned, so its no big deal for me if a player doesn't want to sign.

I agree with this. They are called "trading cards". We should trade them, not sell.

For me, the player has to have be a key player or they have to have done something in the sport. I have many cards that are virtually worthless. No signature or material on them, just a basic rookie card. I call those my "diddly squats" LOL. For example, I have a Jeff Odgers Parkhurst RC. Never had a championship on any level, never scored much. Despite this, he did accomplish something - he has over 2,000 penalty minutes.

Let's not worry about whether a card is signed, and just collect and trade!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

In 2018-19, did you look at SP Retail? Similar design to SPA, but with non-autoed rookies /1199
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast