Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Selling Question

SCF Rewards
    Country

Selling Question

Hey Gang,

My apologies for the seemingly obvious question, but I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. I have some stuff left over from my major culling back in 2010, but a divorce and family health issues dictate that I have to sell pretty much everything I have left. Nothing huge, just some low-end stuff and random auto'd cards, 8x10's, etc.

My question is this
    ; where would be the best place to sell the items and how? I live in Canada and so eBay seems to be the worst way to sell stuff. Is it Amazon dot ca? Is there a website in addition to this one? What do you guys charge for S&H? Is it the exact amount plus something like a $1 for the cost of supplies, gas/time to-and-from the post office, time for packing everything up, etc.? What do people use to price cards, auto's, etc. now?

I used to buy-and-sell a ton of stuff back in the 90's/2000's, but things have very obviously changed over the years. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and my apologies if this isn't the proper forum to ask.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

start here bud, post up a sales thread. I hate selling on ebay, all the protection is for the buyer and none for the seller. Are you on facebook? lots of groups on there as well that could probably suit your needs
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Unfortunately, your options are very limited when selling online. You could try going on forums such as SCF and sell on there however you might have more success on eBay or COMC. It's getting harder and harder to sell low-end stuff online because it is so widely available and the bigger sellers on eBay and COMC can often sell it for a very cheap price due to the sheer sales volume.

As for shipping costs, I'd advise you to watch some of the auctions on eBay to see what cards sell for and what sellers charge for shipping.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If you can move stuff without eBay, you're ahead of the game.... since you won't pay eBay fees. It's still a very effective way to move stuff though. I would always prefer to sell on a site like this one... but it's not always as easy. FB groups can be really good too.

Someone already mentioned COMC. I like the site, but it's getting more expensive to use. I have yet to send any high end cards there.... but for lower end, and mid range stuff.... I think it's really good. You actually send the cards to them though, and then pay per-card to list them. Cost you money up front, but then you do ZERO work.

What to charge for shipping? You're in Canada, let's say you're selling to someone else in Canada. Postage for a small bubble mailer, that you're putting 1-5 cards in, will cost you $1.80. Depending on how you're buying your supplies for shipping, and how you package the card(s), you can (IMO) ask up to $3 for regular shipping, within Canada, and you're being fair. If I was selling here, I typically say something like "Shipping is $2, and free if you spend more than $20". On eBay, I just charge $2 within Canada.

Of course I reuse bubble mailers, prefer to send multiple cards in a larger toploader... to cut down on the overall package thickness... and I often use "marked up" toploaders, not clean ones. If I was paying $3 to have a single card mailed to me, in Canada, I'd expect that it's being sent in a clean toploader, and a new bubble mailer.

If you're sending to the USA, $4 is pretty fair. Postage costs more.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Awesome and thank you so much, guys!! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for!!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Hopefully, the information above has helped and you make a few bucks.

Check back with us and let yes know how it is going in the sale department.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames
    See yycflameshockey's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If you can move stuff without eBay, you're ahead of the game.... since you won't pay eBay fees. It's still a very effective way to move stuff though. I would always prefer to sell on a site like this one... but it's not always as easy. FB groups can be really good too.

Someone already mentioned COMC. I like the site, but it's getting more expensive to use. I have yet to send any high end cards there.... but for lower end, and mid range stuff.... I think it's really good. You actually send the cards to them though, and then pay per-card to list them. Cost you money up front, but then you do ZERO work.

What to charge for shipping? You're in Canada, let's say you're selling to someone else in Canada. Postage for a small bubble mailer, that you're putting 1-5 cards in, will cost you $1.80. Depending on how you're buying your supplies for shipping, and how you package the card(s), you can (IMO) ask up to $3 for regular shipping, within Canada, and you're being fair. If I was selling here, I typically say something like "Shipping is $2, and free if you spend more than $20". On eBay, I just charge $2 within Canada.

Of course I reuse bubble mailers, prefer to send multiple cards in a larger toploader... to cut down on the overall package thickness... and I often use "marked up" toploaders, not clean ones. If I was paying $3 to have a single card mailed to me, in Canada, I'd expect that it's being sent in a clean toploader, and a new bubble mailer.

If you're sending to the USA, $4 is pretty fair. Postage costs more.

I would agree with almost all of this. I've been charging C$3 in Canada and C$5 to the U.S. - generally a break-even proposition on shipping once ebay and pp take their slice off the top.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would agree with almost all of this. I've been charging C$3 in Canada and C$5 to the U.S. - generally a break-even proposition on shipping once ebay and pp take their slice off the top.

Thanks for chiming in. Always, nice when some new blood chimes in on various discussions.

DON