Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Has anybody ever heard of "razzing"??

Hi folks.

I was on the twitter machine today and someone contacted me about a card (I'll provide a name by PM if you want). They said they had a "razz" group going on twitter.

What the blueberry hell is that?? First I heard of such a thing. He explains:

"So let’s say I post a card that’s worth $50. I make 10 spots available at $5/spot to buy into. A person Can buy as many spots as they like to increase their chances. I then take a online dice roller to get a number. With that number of dice rolls the 10 names get randomized and the name at the top of that list after the determined number of rolls wins the card".

I call that a moneymaking scam. People pay in but are guaranteed NOTHING. At least with box/case breaks, you usually get SOMETHING out of it. But this? How is that legal??

Thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See football-4ever's Items on eBay

Unbelievable .... Like P.T Barnum phrased years ago " There's a sucker born every minute" !!! Here you have a seller getting 100% full value for his card , and 9 disappointed gamblers (lol). I'll bet they are same same group that fell for the old "Pyramid scheme" back in the day. I'm sure most EBAY sellers are happy to unload cards at a fraction of their full BV and still make a pretty good supplementall income. Sadly this type of activity only works because people are willing to buy into it :(
    WE COLLECT : CONNOR MCDAVID --- NATHAN MACKINNON -- ERIK KARLSSON -- CAREY PRICE --- BRADY TKACHUK -- AUSTIN MATTHEWS -- THOMAS CHABOT --JACK EICHEL

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

The last time I looked into it, its not legal in Canada, but whose gonna enforce it. It is actually quite popular especially on facebook. The allure is you can win that $50 (or most times much higher) card for $5. The 9 losers know the odds going in. I dont like it, and I dont do it, but to each their own.
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues

I don't do Razzes, but as someone that does Group Breaks I have went away with Nothing on quite a few. Each time I cuss Upper Deck for horrible collation. There always seems to be a couple of teams that get the multiple great hits and several that get nothing. In fact over the years I am zero for three for The Cup breaks. But then again, there are several other product breaks that I came away with a bunch.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Ever enter a raffle before? Same difference.

I don't participate in these, but there's nothing wrong with them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Leafsfan, I would completely ignore the concept of a fatal four-way, that one will completely blow your mind (also, these are ripe with people not fulfilling their commitment and/or scammers fixing the deal with partners buying 2 or 3 of the spots and keeping the card in the group). This concept is that 4 people commit to the following, 1st place gets the card, 2nd and 3rd get nothing, 4th pays for the whole thing.

I personally don't razz much as my card budget only has enough room for box break gambling let alone pure gambling.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Ever enter a raffle before? Same difference.

I don't participate in these, but there's nothing wrong with them.

I disagree; there are two differences between these and raffles. One, proceeds from a raffle go to some worthy cause, not in some low-life's pocket so they can profit from it.

Two, raffles require a lottery license to run. Most are done legally by organizations for charity. Whether it is popular or not, as @Iheartjacquie said, these razzes are not legal in Canada. This guy is in Canada, he claims. I refuse to participate in something illegal.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

not in some low-life's pocket so they can profit from it.

Lol, it's just a guy using an alternative method to sell a card. It sounds like you have some kind of moral opposition to this more than anything.

I refuse to participate in something illegal.

The good news is that nobody's asking you to participate. This is a harmless and fun little way to participate in the hobby. Don't like it, don't participate. This being "illegal" is akin to your neighbor's Friday poker game being illegal - nobody enforces it because it's all in good fun.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Lol, it's just a guy using an alternative method to sell a card. It sounds like you have some kind of moral opposition to this more than anything.

The good news is that nobody's asking you to participate. This is a harmless and fun little way to participate in the hobby. Don't like it, don't participate. This being "illegal" is akin to your neighbor's Friday poker game being illegal - nobody enforces it because it's all in good fun.

I don't call throwing away money for a "chance" to get a card "fun". If the people who buy in get SOMETHING out of it, I'm fine with that. The majority of the people walk away with nothing.

As the saying goes "a fool and their money will soon part" and those who convince fools to part with their money illegally are criminals.

I don't collect for profit. I don't like it. I collect because I enjoy it. Yes, I have almost 200 BGS 9.5 rookies, but I collect those because of my disability. People would place multiple cards in a toploader to save on shipping and I am unable to get the cards out to transfer them to their own toploader without dropping them and causing damage. I got so sick of this that I decided to collect graded cards. At least I can drop those on the carpet and there's a very low probability that they will get damaged.

This is a HOBBY for me. Most everybody else sees cards as an investment and a way to make money. I plan to give my cards to my nephew or, if I have any, my children. If they do not want them, I cannot sell them. I could hold a bonfire...
    Last edited by Leafsman; 10-29-2019 at 01:17 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hi folks.

I was on the twitter machine today and someone contacted me about a card (I'll provide a name by PM if you want). They said they had a "razz" group going on twitter.

What the blueberry hell is that?? First I heard of such a thing. He explains:

"So let’s say I post a card that’s worth $50. I make 10 spots available at $5/spot to buy into. A person Can buy as many spots as they like to increase their chances. I then take a online dice roller to get a number. With that number of dice rolls the 10 names get randomized and the name at the top of that list after the determined number of rolls wins the card".

I call that a moneymaking scam. People pay in but are guaranteed NOTHING. At least with box/case breaks, you usually get SOMETHING out of it. But this? How is that legal??

Thoughts?

You sure do have problems with people creating different ways to make money in this hobby.

This is just gambling. Usually you can get more for a card from a Razz than on ebay or private sales.

It benefits the sellers ( they get the price they want without the hassle of fees ) and it benefits the winner, as they get a card at a fraction of the price.

This is no different than buying Mystery packs or breaking boxes. All just forms of gambling.

People know exactly what theyre getting themselves into when purchasing a spot in a Razz, and if done by a reputable group, theres really very little risk of foul play.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast