Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@ToppsPursuit Instagram:

2002-2003 Upper Deck Hockey - What gives?

Just this year I've gotten back into collecting baseball after a 27 year hiatus. So, as far as hockey over that same time frame goes ... I'm equally in the dark.

My son is a hockey player, born in '03. I thought it would be fun to build the 02-03 Upper Deck set and gift it to him once I was finished, but holy cats have they been hard to find online. No lots of commons. No unopened packs or hobby boxes. Next to zilch unless I want to buy cards individually on eBay and spend through the nose.

I know the set is loaded with HOFers and rookies. So I'm sure it's popular. But was there an extremely short print run or something? Cardboard Connection doesn't even have a page dedicated to the set.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Any insight is appreciated!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'll move this over the to regular section, and outside of the trading forum. You'll probably get more responses.

Unopened packs & boxes, I would expect there to be some.... but not much out there.

Base sets should be easy enough to find.... I did find this (Series 1) set pretty quickly:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2002-03-Uppe...AAAOSwLRtdjW8r

That includes all the SPs, I would say the price is "okay".

Series 2 that season, it will be hard (and expensive) for you to finish. Some of the YGs & Memorable Seasons cards are SSP'd, incredibly hard to find, and sell for big bucks when they are available.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the insight. Even that price for Series 1 caught me a little off guard. Looks like this will be a labor of love. :)

And yes, please feel free to move this thread wherever it's most appropriate.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

There are canadian UD2 boxes available on eBay. Very fun break! https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-03-Upp...gAAOSwuEhdwwFS

If I remember correctly, the SSPs were in UD1.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content
    Base cards available: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks, I saw that too and am considering!

Do you have any sense of how different the Canadian boxes are? Are they the same check list? Can I use them to build an honest base set?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Do you have any sense of how different the Canadian boxes are? Are they the same check list? Can I use them to build an honest base set?

I'm betting some of the inserts are different.... but the base set / young guns - they'd be the same.

@odjickfan is correct about the SSPs being in series 1 (and NOT in series 2).

These are the tough cards to get:

226 Stanislav Chistov YG, RC
    227 Alexei Smirnov YG, RC
    228 Chuck Kobasew YG, RC
    229 Tony Amonte MS
    230 Peter Forsberg MS
    231 Chris Drury MS
    232 Rick Nash YG, RC
    233 Brendan Shanahan MS
    234 Henrik Zetterberg YG, RC
    235 Ales Hemsky YG, RC
    236 Jay Bouwmeester YG, RC
    237 Alexei Yashin MS
    238 Alexander Frolov YG, RC
    239 Pierre-Marc Bouchard YG, RC
    240 Ron Hainsey YG, RC
    241 Sean Burke MS
    242 Owen Nolan MS
    243 Chris Pronger MS
    244 Mats Sundin MS
    245 Alexander Svitov YG, RC
    246 Steve Eminger YG, RC

I'll be surprised if you can find any of those Memorable Seasons cards for under $40 each. Most of the YGs on that list can be had in the $20 range.... but Zetterberg was $200+ when I was trying to finish this set, and Nash would get at least $150. Not sure these days what they sell for.

None of these cards are super easy to track down.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

2 canadian exclusives parallels #/75 per box. For the rest, it's your typical UD hobby box from that era: 2 jerseys from various subsets, 6YGs (best are Spezza and Sharp), and a few inserts. The base cards are the same as far as I know.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

I decided a few years ago to put together the UD sets from 2000/01 to 2004/05, from when I wasn't really collecting.

I got lucky and found a local guy who was closing his store about a year and a half ago who had all the base sets. I got them for about $15 CAD a pop. I've slowly been putting together the SP's and pick them up at shows when I can. It's fun searching through dollar boxes and finding ones I need. I've even picked up a few MS cards for a buck or two from dealers who didn't know how hard they are to find. I actually just picked up the Kobasew YG a few weeks back at the Calgary show.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks again for the insight everyone. If he hadn't been born during the Stanley Cup finals that year I'd just move on to the 03/04 set and call THAT one his "birth year" set. lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Good news, now you can add a bunch of 1/1 from series 1 to your collecting goal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast