Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

As a retired veteran I know one thing. Don Cherry stands behind the Military. I am glad for that.

Should he have said what he did. Maybe not. He is a very opinionated person. He has said may things to Piss of lots of different people.

As a retired vet I wear the Poppy because I believe in what everyone sacrificed to give us the freedom we have today. It really doesn't matter to me if no one else wears a Poppy. They can if they want to. That is why the soldiers went to war to give us the right to do as we feel. I do not think they would be offended if someone did not wear a Poppy. They were doing what they thought was right at the time.

Peace to everyone.

Thank you for your service.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Sorry, duplicate post.
    Last edited by subban7677; 11-12-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

As a lifelong Habs fan, I've been longing to see Cherry off the airwaves for years. His blatant Leafs and Bruins homerism is beyond obnoxious, and for me the final straw was when he pretended he didn't know Max Pacioretty's name after Zdeno Chara attempted to maim him. It was only national news for three days at the time, so it's understandable that it hadn't reached Grapes' attention in full yet. I vowed from that day that I wouldn't Cherry again, and I've stuck to that. His bloviating wasn't aimed at an audience for fans like me, and accordingly I have used my 15 minutes of 1st intermission time on Saturday nights for other things.

His absurdities about hockey aside, his social commentary has always been somewhat noxious. I absolutely respect and admire the advocacy he has done over the years on behalf of our veterans. As someone who has worked in the health care industry advocating for more coverage for their health services, there really is not enough that we can do for them. However, using them as a political tool to bash people you don't like is a disservice to them and undermines the value of the message. You need to look no further than the Royal Canadian Legion's own statement about Don's comments for proof of that.

Don Cherry has not been censored by the government. He's been fired by a corporation because he's a liability to the corporate bottom line. It's nice that you're arguing hard for a millionaire to take to the airwaves to spew nonsense and we all just cross our fingers he doesn't say anything that makes him a national embarrassment for Canada or an embarrassment to the NHL. Gary Bettman will be doing cartwheels that he's gone. The corporate image of the game isn't as strong as it is for basketball, and it inhibits the growth of the game when, instead of we're talking about the latest amazing video game calibre Connor McDavid goal, we're talking about Don Cherry once again going off the rails ranting about something that has nothing to do with hockey. I hope Sportsnet will use that freed up time wisely to put on someone who can be informative and entertaining without having to pass a weekly risk assessment for saying something stupid, hurtful, and divisive.

Et finalement, I've seen a lot of people online going on about "we hold Don Cherry to a higher level of accountability than the Prime Minister," and to you folks I can only say, "We literally just had an election three weeks ago."
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

LMAO & they voted back in the Guy they`ve complained about for 4 years. I don`t vote cause i dont care which Full of BS dick wins but if what Cherry said was offensive then what Trudeau did was more offensive in my eyes. Like i said earlier, Cherry has said a lot worse than this over the years & this is what get`s him fired!! I think its a joke!! Maybe i missed something along the way but i have never heard Cherry say he didnt like French Canadians or Russians for that matter what he said was he didnt like they`re style of play, it wasn`t like tough Canadian Hockey. I have never heard him say anything about them as people just a hockey players. I watch it every Saturday since forever. Sure, he favors players over others, so do i, does that make me a Bigot or a Racist!!
    At the end of the Day do you think Cherry & his boat load of money gives a crap!! I doubt it!!
    Last edited by jameslacarte; 11-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As a lifelong Habs fan, I've been longing to see Cherry off the airwaves for years. His blatant Leafs and Bruins homerism is beyond obnoxious, and for me the final straw was when he pretended he didn't know Max Pacioretty's name after Zdeno Chara attempted to maim him. It was only national news for three days at the time, so it's understandable that it hadn't reached Grapes' attention in full yet. I vowed from that day that I wouldn't Cherry again, and I've stuck to that. His bloviating wasn't aimed at an audience for fans like me, and accordingly I have used my 15 minutes of 1st intermission time on Saturday nights for other things.

His absurdities about hockey aside, his social commentary has always been somewhat noxious. I absolutely respect and admire the advocacy he has done over the years on behalf of our veterans. As someone who has worked in the health care industry advocating for more coverage for their health services, there really is not enough that we can do for them. However, using them as a political tool to bash people you don't like is a disservice to them and undermines the value of the message. You need to look no further than the Royal Canadian Legion's own statement about Don's comments for proof of that.

Don Cherry has not been censored by the government. He's been fired by a corporation because he's a liability to the corporate bottom line. It's nice that you're arguing hard for a millionaire to take to the airwaves to spew nonsense and we all just cross our fingers he doesn't say anything that makes him a national embarrassment for Canada or an embarrassment to the NHL. Gary Bettman will be doing cartwheels that he's gone. The corporate image of the game isn't as strong as it is for basketball, and it inhibits the growth of the game when, instead of we're talking about the latest amazing video game calibre Connor McDavid goal, we're talking about Don Cherry once again going off the rails ranting about something that has nothing to do with hockey. I hope Sportsnet will use that freed up time wisely to put on someone who can be informative and entertaining without having to pass a weekly risk assessment for saying something stupid, hurtful, and divisive.

Et finalement, I've seen a lot of people online going on about "we hold Don Cherry to a higher level of accountability than the Prime Minister," and to you folks I can only say, "We literally just had an election three weeks ago."

Then lets put it to a national vote and see what the result looks like. But does Cherry get his job back if just like the PM he doesn't get the popular vote. Day O!
    Last edited by piper1; 11-12-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Does Cherry even want his job back!! I wouldnt take it back!!

Then lets put it to a national vote and see what the result looks like. But does Cherry get his job back if just like the PM he doesn't get the popular vote. Day O!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Old Don has been doing CC for almost 40 years! I bet he loves it and will miss it.
    Shame he is being so stubborn. As most NHL players and coaches who have been interviewed have said, what he said was wrong.
    The thing about racists, they don't know they are being racist. It is a deep seated bias that they are totally blind to. Pointing it out to them actually makes it worse. They get defensive and play the victim card. The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

On a selfish note, I hope they keep the segment and the theme music. Every time I hear that music it reminds me it is Saturday night and an NHL hockey game is on. Always a good thing.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

1. They sell poppy pins for $3 at the legion every year (every branch probably has em...i know the branches in my city do for sure) that are are like a pin with the little detachable part so that there's not just a loose pin pointing in your clothes - so they never fall off and never prick you - definitely recommend if the ones they sell at the gas station are annoying!!

2. Chill out fellas - be nicer to each other even if your opinions are different. We're on a forum together for one of the most niche hobbies in the world (hockey cards) and the last thing we need to do is be awful to each other when there are so super few of us - all the other social media out there is filled with the bickering we should keep this place awesome

SCF Rewards
    Country

Again, yet another 1 playing the racism card!! What Don said wasn`t racist & for people to claim it is shows ignorance. Was what he said appropriate? Probably not but definitely not racist. I have a feeling most of the people calling this Racist are the same people who never got spanked, were never told no & got participation medals for being the last!!

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards