Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Obama is a private citizen, that's not election tampering. And what on earth does that have to do with the topic at hand?
    Last edited by subban7677; 11-13-2019 at 12:05 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

my goodness O'Bama is more than a private citizen,, he is the former leader of the free world.

and i was responding to the previous post here

In case you are wondering how we wound up with the same PM after all that check out this link: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/joh...deral-election
    Last edited by icefields; 11-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

sorry duplicate post

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Without quoting a specific post... the comparison between Cherry's rant, and Trudeau's blackface doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Cherry goes on a rant. Lots of people don't like it. Rogers doesn't like it. Decide it will make the corporation look bad, unless he'll issue the apology THEY want him to. He won't, so he's fired.

We find out that Trudeau work blackface on at least three separate occasions, and can assume there were actually many more such occasions. I base that on the fact that he would not answer the question "how many other times?": Plenty of people (groups of people) had the opportunity to remove him from his job (fire him, effectively) if that's what they felt was the right thing to do:

1. Without knowing the ins & outs of the Liberal Party's constitution, I would imagine there would have been some mechanism to fire him (as leader, and a candidate) on the spot - if enough people deemed it necessary. I don't believe I ever read that was talked about.... so I'll assume the LPC was okay with it.

2. The people of Papineau (the only ones who actually get to vote for Trudeau in the election) could have voted for someone else. They did not. Nearly 26k people voted for him, which was more than half the voters in his riding.

3. The people of Canada could have shown his party the door, if they were truly outraged, and clearly, not a significant (enough) number of voters were. Nearly 6 million people said "I'm okay voting for a party led by someone who used to dress in blackface". Was that a true majority of voters? No, not even close (it was about one third) but that was enough for the Liberals to easily form a government.

But this is all like the the nonsensical "free speech" rants that get attached the Cherry story. It has nothing to do with free speech, and it has nothing to do with hypocritical accountability. Rogers is a billion dollar company. When they believe someone is bad for business, they're allowed to fire them. Voters had an opportunity to (essentially) fire Trudeau for his actions, but chose not to.

What you're allowed to get away with in politics, vs the the corporate world, isn't the same.... and sometimes it's not even close.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

To compare:
    Trudeau Blackface, 20+ years ago
    Don Cherry's comments, less than 96 hours ago
    Trudeau apologized
    Cherry kinda appologized
    Trudeau welcomes immigrants (too many according to the right)
    Cherry calls them "you people".

I'm not a Trudeau "fanboy". I actually don't usually support the Liberal Party (NDP...be nice!). His Blackface incidents were stupid, really stupid. But his ACTIONS of the last 20+ years don't suggest that is actually who he is today. Cherry's actions over the last 35+ years suggest that is EXACTLY who he is today. Please, let's not equate the two.

Simon,
    Here the problem Trudeau did not just do it ONCE as your statement indicates.

On Thursday, new video emerged of a third instance of Trudeau in blackface – just hours after he had apologized for wearing what he described as “racist” makeup to a costume party in 2001.

That is three times and if he did it three times how many other times did he do it? Heck, he cannot even go on record how many times he done it.

Do you think he is truly sorry for it or only apologized for it as it finally came to light. I am not really sure and only he truly knows. I am sure if Trudeau was quoted throughout his life like Don Cherry has been for the last 20 years he would have said some things to make people go stir crazy just like the Black Face incidents. They are both wrong in what they did yet one says he is sorry while the other one will not take back his statement because it is just who he is. I have no problem with him being fired as he did what he wanted and had a chance to take back his statement if he chose, but he choose to stand and be a blowhard. In the end if you work for a company they have the right to put a cap on your free speech if it does not fit their image much like the 49'ers and Colin.

DON

I agree with a lot of what Sean stated above. Aa it hits on some of my exact thoughts. As I typed his then read he posted it 2 hours before I posted lol.
    Last edited by doniceage; 11-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Obama is a private citizen, that's not election tampering. And what on earth does that have to do with the topic at hand?

You didn't know that everything is Obama's fault?

There are countless memes in reference to this phenomenon, and apparently it is actually true. Of course it has nothing to do with the R word, it's just one of life's strange mysteries.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You didn't know that everything is Obama's fault?

There are countless memes in reference to this phenomenon, and apparently it is actually true. Of course it has nothing to do with the R word, it's just one of life's strange mysteries.

Just like didn't you know that the daily Liberal gaffes are always Harpers fault...…...but but but Harper. Some Canadians actually have to fall out of bed each morning thanks to that man...…….
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Just like didn't you know that the daily Liberal gaffes are always Harpers fault...…...but but but Harper. Some Canadians actually have to fall out of bed each morning thanks to that man...…….

Yeah it is exactly the same...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I think I underestimated just how polarizing this topic would be. Yeah, I kind of an an idea, but I guess I didn't realize just how much this was a topic of politics (comparisons to Trudeau's incidents and even Obama!), world view, and even how the "older" generation is dealing with the world morphing into something they're not used to. Regardless of where you fall on this, it's absolutely FASCINATING. And for the record, I bear no ill will toward anyone with whom I may not agree. Debate is healthy.

And with that, I'm done on this topic. I'm sure some of you will be happy I'm finally shutting my yap :) Peace!

Edit: Don, if you reread my post, I did say "incidents", I was aware Trudeau did it more than once. Just wanted to clarify.
    Last edited by subban7677; 11-13-2019 at 06:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Let's not put all people in the same boat here....

Some immigrants are maybe not showing enough gratitude, but some are.

Don Cherry should have been fired way too many times already, i guess they were just tired of that " old Man yelling at clouds" and they pulled the plug.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast