Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated by PSA

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Frustrated by PSA

First off, I don't want to sound like I am whining (I guess I am some).

I submitted a bunch of Cards to PSA. 20 for me, 20 for a friend of mine who just got back into collecting. and 40 by my boss who collects mostly vintage.

We submitted these July 2nd. Just got the grades back today (November 13).

Obviously, ridiculously long time by PSA. They navigate the "85 business day max" so nicely, getting these done techinically on day 84. They didn't even touch the dang package for 5 weeks; which like they say "we start the clock when we scan them in" got it.

So I submitted 10 topps now, and 5 average cards, and then 5 ones I considered to really want to get a hit on.

Got MOSTLY 10s on all the topps now MLB cards which no one cares about; and I only submitted to give my boss a full 100. Got a couple 9s and 10s on the middling cards.

Then on the ones I really cared about - all 9's. It really feels like a true sham. I know what a good raw card needs to be. I bought a /5 Cody Bellinger red refractor 1984 variant from Topps Chrome and sent it in. If that card had just hit a 10, I would have taken an 8 on all the others. Truly, i would have. We inspected that card with a microcope. Perfect corners front and back, perfect centering. Perfect everything. My boss who has done this for years said "you really have a shot on this one, should be a 10". Of course, a 9. For no reason at all, because PSA just felt like it. 9 on the vlad base rookie. 9 on the Vlad living set.

My friend who just got back into collecting pulled some cards out of a shoebox. Hit about 15 PSA 10's out of his 20, including some cards that had been sitting in dust. Every valuable card he bought raw off ebay; hit a 10. Every single one.

I am ready to quit collecting over this, I hate PSA so much tonight

SCF Rewards
    Country

Don't quit collecting. Just quit sending stuff to get graded. It is basically a scam in the sense that on any given day a guy can give you a totally different grade that is going to alter the value of the card by a ton in some cases. The difference between an 8 and a 10 isn't always that big but the difference in price between an 8 and 10 for sale can be quite dramatic.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Don't quit collecting. Just quit sending stuff to get graded. It is basically a scam in the sense that on any given day a guy can give you a totally different grade that is going to alter the value of the card by a ton in some cases. The difference between an 8 and a 10 isn't always that big but the difference in price between an 8 and 10 for sale can be quite dramatic.

well said. I’ll keep at it.

heres a photo of the Bellinger /5 which is probably my favorite card. Man I wanted a 10 on this. I got a 9.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very nice card! Love the look of the red and blue on it

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Recap of my first submission

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Couple of my cards back!

just the highlights

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

At least they identified and labeled all your your correctly. EVERY submission I do with them I have 1 or 2 vintage tobacco cards that they mis-identify. Then I have to jump through all of the hoops and file a "mechanical error" and return the cards along with proof to verify that they are labeled incorrectly. It is small validation though when PSA turns around and says "yup we made a mistake, you are right, our bad." Maybe I get too much enjoyment out of proving the 'big boys' wrong all the time!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

At least they identified and labeled all your your correctly. EVERY submission I do with them I have 1 or 2 vintage tobacco cards that they mis-identify. Then I have to jump through all of the hoops and file a "mechanical error" and return the cards along with proof to verify that they are labeled incorrectly. It is small validation though when PSA turns around and says "yup we made a mistake, you are right, our bad." Maybe I get too much enjoyment out of proving the 'big boys' wrong all the time!

They are sloppy, slow, and I wish I didn’t have reason to be critical but they could be better for their outrageous pricing

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Finally �� two great hits

SCF Rewards
    Country

Finally �� two great hits

Sweet!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast