Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Dodgers San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @musclebeech See Musclebeech's Items on eBay Instagram:
    Member is PayPal Verified

The One Million Cubs Project

All,

I came across a fellow hobbyist who is a bit of a celebrity in his own right if for nothing else than the sheer magnitude of the collecting project he is taking on. His name is Beau Thompson, and he is on a mission to collect 1 MILLION Chicago Cubs cards. As of the current count, he's amassed almost 400,000 Cubs cards.

He likes to trade bulk for bulk, so if you're a "team trader" of one (or a few teams), I highly recommend trading with him. In my experience, he sends a nice mix of cards back from your selected team(s) that often include current and former team stars, prospects, etc. He gladly accepts duplicates, junk wax, and anything else Cubs.

I think it's fun to try to help him complete his goal, and you get a pleasant return for your PC in the form of team-specific cards. I'm posting this here in the event that anyone else is interested in trading with him, and so that we have a place to share/review any successes when trades are completed with him.

A bit about his project in his own words from his initial blog post dated 12/28/17:

More than a million cards have accumulated in my collection. Throughout the time I have collected, since around 1987, Chicago Cubs baseball cards have almost always been my target.
    Multiple times over the years my collecting habits have changed, but holding on to Cubs cards has almost always survived my different collecting direction.

Over the past two years breaking boxes and cases has taken precedence, and of course I hold aside the Cubs from these breaks. Buying large collections and lots is another focus. The latter is how I have accumulated almost 1.5 million trading cards.
    About 60,000 cards are listed in my Sportlots store and a few hundred are posted on EBay. What about the rest? More than a million lonely cards just sitting...and sitting...and sitting.

It was time for a change. And that is what led me to the one million Cubs project. The ultimate goal is to collect a million Cubs cards while simultaneously trading off my million extra cards.
    How will I do this? I would like to conduct bulk trades in medium flat rate boxes, but will also conduct smaller trades.
    At this time I have begun cataloging my Cubs collection. My estimate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 75,000 Cubs cards. So far I have about 600 entered into my spreadsheet. A new blog highlighting this project will be introduced in the coming days, including the two blogs that were the inspiration for the Million Cubs Project.

His website is found here: https://www.onemillioncubs.net/

You can find his address and social media sites listed there as well.

If you reach out to him and get a trade going, please let him know that I sent you. Please use the forum replies to describe your trade experiences with him for everyone else to see.

Happy trading!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Milwaukee Brewers

I can say I've helped him get a few. Good luck.
    Collecting Topps Brewers. I PC Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Christian Yelich, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Texas Longhorns

Being a Cubs fan myself I think it's really cool what he's doing. I'll definitely consider a possible trade or two.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In an effort to get people interested in making trades to gel Beau meet his goal, I’ll be tracking a trade I make with him.

i sent off two packages FULL of Cubs cards to him this afternoon... That’s a large flat rate (board game) USPS box and a padded flat rate envelope... Cards are packaged securely inside, and there are probably well in excess of 2,000 cards (I didn’t count) plus a Cubs bobblehead I picked up at the swap meet.

No trade is too large or small with Beau... I’m sure he won’t disappoint this time either.

I’ll let you know what I get in return.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing! Cool project for sure.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

As I mentioned in my last post, I thought I’d share an example
    of a return that I got in trade from Beau... I’ve included a photo below of a sampling of some of the great cards I got back.

Usually Beau will do a bulk trade in exchange for what you send him... so if you collect Dodgers (for example) you’ll typically get back a bulk package of Dodgers cards (or whatever teams(s) you request), usually somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1 to 1 ratio from what you sent him in Cubs.

Send him some cards and tell him I referred you!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing!

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

WOW, this was a cool story and I loved to see the return the user got! He sent back way better cards than I thought he would get, of course not know what the OP sent Beau.