Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psa 9 vs raw

SCF Rewards
    Country

Psa 9 vs raw

Hey guys,

I am just getting back into the hobby after 15 years off and my funds are limited as I have other hobbies and life priorities.

So my question is, if there's a card you like at the following prices which would you rather have...

1) raw - 8 bucks shipped
    2) psa 9 - 13 shipped
    3) psa 10 - 50 plus shipped (for this example I used lower numbers, but let's pretend I can't afford the 10)

Would you go raw and for quantity? 9s because slabs are awesome and you know the cards in good shape, or save and only buy 10s.

Thanks!

Cam

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

Very simple, whatever you're the most comfortable with. After all, it's your decision. You may want to consider the "player" the card is. Is it one you "really like" and/or one that is "popular"? Also, is it one you'll keep for a very long time OR is it one you'd want to "move"? In addition, if you decide to have it graded, not all traders like the same graders. So, if trading or selling, that may influence other traders (one way or another). Finally, is the grading really worth its cost? So, back to the beginning, "whatever you're the most comfortable with". After all, it's your decision. You're the one that has to be comfortable concerning what to do (it's yours and your decision to live with). Have a good day. MERRY CHRISTMAS, Rodney

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very simple, whatever you're the most comfortable with. After all, it's your decision. You may want to consider the "player" the card is. Is it one you "really like" and/or one that is "popular"? Also, is it one you'll keep for a very long time OR is it one you'd want to "move"? In addition, if you decide to have it graded, not all traders like the same graders. So, if trading or selling, that may influence other traders (one way or another). Finally, is the grading really worth its cost? So, back to the beginning, "whatever you're the most comfortable with". After all, it's your decision. You're the one that has to be comfortable concerning what to do (it's yours and your decision to live with). Have a good day. MERRY CHRISTMAS, Rodney

Thanks for the reply! As a noob I didn't know if psa 9s are worth is just for a slabbed card and knowing the card is in good shape. I'm sure there are the elite that only like modern cards in a 10, but I'm not there yet. I guess the real question is if the price is comparable would you rather have a raw card you don't plan on grading or a psa 9 for a few bucks more, less risk and better looking case than a top loader imo.

For all I know no one buys or likes 9s and collectors only go for 10s or cards they can grade to a 10.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Probably depends on the year of the card you want too. If it is a vintage era card you might be safer and better off buying a graded copy of the card but if it is something newer that isn't from a condition sensitive set it is almost stupid in my opinion to pay a premium price on the card just because it is graded.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (949)
    Country
    See trishlp94's Items on eBay

Personally I don't like graded cards and I avoid when ever possible. Like the 1st person that responded I would say if it is for your personal collection than collect what makes you happy but if you are talking about your cards for trade unless they are vintage or Trout RC's (etc) I think you would be limiting who would want to trade for them. JMO Happy Holidays!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Personally I don't like graded cards and I avoid when ever possible. Like the 1st person that responded I would say if it is for your personal collection than collect what makes you happy but if you are talking about your cards for trade unless they are vintage or Trout RC's (etc) I think you would be limiting who would want to trade for them. JMO Happy Holidays!

This is the info I was looking for. While it is for my collection, I tend to change hobbies every year or so. So I'd like to make some speculative gambles/investments but of something people will want. So if no one really cares about 9s of modern cards (acuna) for example, I will stick to 10s or raw.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

They call them fine 9s for a reason.

if it’s an auto or something, or a RC, there’s nothing wrong with a 9 if it’s a card that brings you joy

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Kansas City Royals

Start with a 9. This way you know you got the card you want and what shape it’s in. Get your self a 10 later when you can afford it and resale the 9.
    This is just a small sample of what I collect.
    I collect Yordan Alvarez, Jeremy Pena, Ronald Acuna Jr, Austin Riley, Aaron judge, Anthony Volpe. Yankees Auto’s & relics HOF Rookies, relics & Auto’s, Top Rookies & prospects.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Start with a 9. This way you know you got the card you want and what shape it’s in. Get your self a 10 later when you can afford it and resale the 9.

Have to agree. I just did this with the Vlad Jr SSP rookie

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @https://twitter.com/BigLeagueScards See https://www.ebay.com/usr/bigleaguesportscards's Items on eBay

Depends on the set in relation to the Population
    Topps S1, S2 and Update in a 9, will hold/gain value vs. same player and year in Chrome,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast