Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: Will the #Great8 catch Gretzky's NHL Goal Record?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Will the #Great8 catch Gretzky's NHL Goal Record?

Watching the NHL on NBC 1st Intermission and they discussed Ovie catching Howe at 802.... then pondered the question will he catch Gretzky's record of 895

Milbury - 50/50
    Keith Jones - said yes...

What do you think?

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

202 away and doesn't look like he is slowing down. That is a lot of goals, and if anyone could do it, it would be Ovechkin. My prediction is he will be #2 all time when he retires.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I voted no but I'd say 50/50 is an accurate bet on this because unless a strike or injury happens he can always slowly chip away until he gets the record. Much easier to chase the record.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

202 away and doesn't look like he is slowing down. That is a lot of goals, and if anyone could do it, it would be Ovechkin. My prediction is he will be #2 all time when he retires.

Agreed, Ovie has always been a goal scoring machine but he'd have to continue to score at a fairly high level in order to catch Gretzky.

Let's look at the numbers ....

• He's currently 202 goals behind Gretzky.
    • He's on pace to score 57 goals this year so let's assume that he will score 23 more goals by the end of the season which will leave him 179 goals behind the Great One.
    • Ovie will be 35 at the start of the 2020-21 season.
    • He has averaged 47 goals per season over the past 5 seasons.

Even if Ovie can continue to average 47 goals per season (which is highly unlikely), he won't catch Gretzky until he's 39. I think Ovie has a couple of more 40+ goal seasons in him max but I'd be shocked if he's still filling the net at that rate into his 39th year on this earth.

If Ovie did go on a tear for the rest of this year or next year however, that would definitely change things.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I voted yes. I think if anyone has the determination the play that long, it's Ovi. The dude is a machine.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

i think he will

:)
    my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am also a believer!
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think he will do it, barring any injuries or labour disruptions. Dude loves the game, he's still a massive force out there, and I think that having secured his Stanley Cup he definitely wants to take a hard run at Gretzky's record. He's never missed more than 10 games in a season, a testament to his conditioning particularly given how hard he plays out there. That'll be the key - stay healthy and the guy could be like Jagr playing into his 40's if necessary.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I'm in the 50/50 camp. Still, for one of Gretzky's main records, that's pretty good. Age is a funny thing though, it can creep up on you out of nowhere. Either way, I'm pulling for him. Gretzky has enough records, time to share one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast