Thread: Print Runs ??

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

Print Runs ??

i have always been curious above the print run of upper deck cards.
    i am not so great at math, so i thought i'd take the easy way out and just ask the experts...

young guns

any difference in print run between series 1 and series 2

and canvas young guns - how many do they make of each ?

and of course the newest - clear cuts and acetates now. (100, 1000 or whatever)
    and are more acetates made than clear cuts or vise versa.

only one i have an idea of is the exclusives lol.
    but are they all packaged up or does UD keep a few on hand to replace defective cards.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

and is there a website that provides this type of information?

okay thank you

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think in most seasons, there is little (none?) difference between Series 1 & Series 2 in terms of print run.

I seem to remember 14-15 Series 2 being SP'd, same with 10-11 (this is what makes Pasternak & Seguin YGs a bit tougher / more expensive than they likely would be).

I'd also bet on 15-16 having less Series 2 than Series 1.... but that's because it seemed to many people that they just ran the presses like crazy for Series 1, pumping out more and more retail product, to hit a home run (in sales) with the McDavid YG.

They don't release the print numbers, but you can kind of guess is you play with the numbers....

A box has 24 packs. Young Guns are 1:4 Packs (you get 6 per box). 50 of them.
    Canvas Young Guns are 1:48 packs (get 1 every two boxes). There's 30 of them.

So it would take you 48 x 30 (on average) to pull all Canvas Young Guns..... 1,440 packs, which is 60 boxes.
    In 60 boxes, you should have pulled 360 Young Guns - Since they all have equal production, you'd have 7.2 sets.

So I will bet that a Canvas YG is about 7.2 times rarer than a regular YG.

Clear Cuts? They're 1:96 packs, and there's 250 cards in the set.

That means you're going to have to crack 96 x 250 to pull a complete set: 24,000 Packs (1k boxes!). You'd have pulled 6k YGs in that time, and 500 Canvas YGs.

Of those 6,000 YGs, there's 50 different ones, so my best guess would be that for every 120 copies of a particular YG that exist, there is a single Clear Cut YG (and 16.66 Canvas).

Of course, this is ONLY what exists in Hobby Boxes. That doesn't include the YGs inserted on ePack, and the various retails tins / blasters / fat packs - because you can't pull Clear Cuts out there.

The whole thing is designed to make it nearly impossible to come up with an accurate number.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

wow the math is what scares me.

i checked with our guru on stuff (becketts lol)
    and for example 17/18 ud ygs the exclusives only command a 2.5 to 6 X regular issue ygs.
    just another reason why using becketts to determine "value" causes so many to disagree unless its to our benefit of course.
    thank you

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

wow the math is what scares me.

i checked with our guru on stuff (becketts lol)
    and for example 17/18 ud ygs the exclusives only command a 2.5 to 6 X regular issue ygs.
    just another reason why using becketts to determine "value" causes so many to disagree unless its to our benefit of course.
    thank you

I like to rip on the use of Beckett as much as the next guy..... but I'm not so sure that number would be all that far off.

I did a quick look on eBay.... I see a Nico Hischier YG that recently sold for $15.

There are probably 30k copies of that card out there.

What would an Exclusives #ed /100 sell for? More than $100 ?? (which, I grant you is more than 6x the price.... but not much). I dunno.

If I was a betting man..... a typical YG probably has a print run around 30k. The Canvas probably more like 1500... the Exclusive & HG we know are /100 & /10. The Clear cut is probably rarer than the Exclusive, but less rare than the High Gloss.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

i just check on hischier past sales as well and they seem to range from $8 - $20. and the exclusive was over $120. so maybe X6 isnt too far off.
    i guess like becketts - ebay gives you an idea of value, but you and your trading partner determine "real" value at the time of your trade. and it will vary as well.

still i find the number 30,000 each of particular young guns to be incredible. but everybody (almost) wants to do the set so UD has to produce these types of numbers and in order to sustain a profit margin ......

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

i just check on hischier past sales as well and they seem to range from $8 - $20. and the exclusive was over $120. so maybe X6 isnt too far off.i guess like becketts - ebay gives you an idea of value, but you and your trading partner determine "real" value at the time of your trade. and it will vary as well.still i find the number 30,000 each of particular young guns to be incredible. but everybody (almost) wants to do the set so UD has to produce these types of numbers and in order to sustain a profit margin ......

I have no doubt that UD 1/2 are some of their best money makers. They run the presses like crazy, and people buy it up!Maybe 30k is an exaggeration, but I don't think I'm that far off.Beckett: If you treat the two values it provides the HI & LOW values they're meant to be... and accept that the magazine doesn't claim your card is worth $X..... but probably somewhere between $X & $Y - I don't think they're as inaccurate as people make them out to be.... but the problem is that very few people actually read the guide the way it's written. Two cards that have LOW values of $50 and HI values of $100 - That does't mean they're actually "worth" the same. eBay can be even more flawed.... because people will cherry pick the data.... and of course rare cards: If the last copy sold for $120 in June of 2017 ... I'm sorry, but that's not relevant. If There's been 30 copies sell in the last 6 weeks... and all but two sold within a couple bucks of $50: The one that went for $15, and the one that went for $75 should be ignored. But yeah, the print runs: There's enough information there to make a decent guess, but know way to know exactly how many. This is by design.