Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BANNED

Country
    Kansas City Chiefs Kansas City Royals Chicago Blackhawks
    See MultiGenSportsCards's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr
    Member is PayPal Verified

What grading service would you recommend for high-end Mahomes cards?

Hi - I've gotten my hands on some pretty good Mahomes cards over the years and would like to get them graded. I know certain companies have higher grading standards than others, making them more desirable by collectors. Please let me know your opinion on which grading service you think is best (PSA, BGS, GMA, etc.) and why. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you are looking for sell value, do some ebay searches for "sold" listings with both PSA and BGS in the search. For example:

2017 Donruss Optic Mahomes BGS
    2017 Donruss Optic Mahomes PSA

Then take a look at which ones tend to sell for more. You'll only get the last 90 days or so from eBay, so if you are REALLY serious you'd want to sign up for a service like Worthpoint which goes back years.

Now if you aren't intending on selling them, then you've stumbled into the age old question of "who is better between the grading companies". That topic has been debated for years across a variety of forums and you'll hear from those who will champion each solution. I personally go with BGS because when I first started grading in 2001, they were the only ones that offered half point scales and did subgrades. Too I liked their case better and subjectively seemed more secure than the other solutions. PSA has a huge following because they were the first notable/reputable company with a long history and a grading card registry that creates competition between collector's for who has the best. SGC always had a strong reputation for pre-WW2 cards. GMA is not known as one of the big three and if you were going to ever sell, you'd be better off cracking and selling raw.

#my2cents

BANNED

Country

This is very helpful - being from Kansas City, I'm torn between keeping the Mahomes for my personal collection and deciding to sell. But at the very least, I'd like to maintain their pristine condition for future potential buyers.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Chicago Bulls
    Twitter: @Bluddsport See eppiccollector's Items on eBay Instagram:

This is a great question. I for one have quite a few high-end cards and I've been collecting for years just like many other people on this site. Grading is a tricky thing. I personally have used BGS grading for years. But if I'm going to be honest as a collector I have definitely seen some questionable grades from them going in the favor of the collector and against. I can't recall exact cards but I do remember seeing a bgs 9.5 that you could clearly see through the case was damaged. How that card slip through I have no idea. I will say with PSA though, although I have never graded with them, seemed pretty solid in my opinion. If they have a card graded at 9 it is definitely a 9. If a card is a 10, you will see no flaws on it. SGC grading is definitely for older cards. I do think you have a dilemma though because it's tough figuring who you want to go with. I go with BGS out of habit. It doesn't mean that they're the best though. Good luck. By the way your Kansas City Chiefs face my San Francisco 49ers in this year's Super Bowl LOL. It's going to be a great game. I personally think that my quarterback is riding the Stellar defense but with that being said this is going to be an epic match up.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'd go with BGS for modern high end stuff but if you are going to be selling it if he wins the Super Bowl I would just sell it ungraded since by the time Beckett finishing grading it you will miss the price bump window
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

BANNED

Country

What do you mean by "miss the price bump window"? Does the timing affect the grading of a card?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I only use Beckett and PSA. PSA for my vintage stuff and Beckett for my modern stuff. I have bought or traded for modern PSA graded cards. I usually group submit to Beckett through my LCS. I send my super high end or cards I don't want to sell or trade in myself. I totally trust the card shop I just don't want to have the urge to sell or trade them instantly in the heat of the moment.

Everyone has preferences. If looking for a certain player or card, I always look for the BGS 10, than BGS 9.5, than PSA 10. Hey, to each their own is way I look at it.

Pretty sure pwaldo meant his stuff will soar that much more if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl coming up. Super fans, Chiefs fans, high end collectors will pay more for his cards in a short window of time with that win. His stuff will stay high barring injury, just people will be buying for a little higher than they usually would for a short window of time. I am a St Louis Blues fan and this happened with Blues stuff when they won the Cup. Your hard part is done if you have higher Mahomes cards. You control everything since you have those cards. If you don't mind selling some or a few and don't have time to grade, just put an insane asking price or best offer online. No pressure on you and you can gauge some offers. If not sure on others, just send them in. You can't go wrong either way. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

BANNED

Country

Wonderful advice in the last paragraph, Mark. Thanks for your opinion!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Which cards are you thinking of grading? This can make a difference.
    Hidden Content - use the drop down box at the top left to view all my other albums
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs (04-07 all versions). Also like current Braves (Acuna/Albies/Dansby/Soroka/Strider/Riley/Harris/Fried, etc.), Mike Trout, Juan Soto, Roger Federer.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I collect PSA Graded cards, so you know my answer. For me a personal preference. I think so Beckett cards get more money, but I won't pay it for a 9.5 if I can get a PSA 10. I know they are really more equal than the numbers suggest, but it 10 is higher than 9.5. LOL It's all personal preference.

Rich