Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

What happened to Fair Trading on this Site?

I took a bit of a break this Summer & when i came back this site had changed. I used to make all kinds of trades but now everyone wants a fortune for their cards. Guys claim they are Beckett Value Traders but change the Price of they're cards when it suits they're purpose. People used to be fair but now its about greed. I rarely make trades now, people just offer Junk for your good cards. No, i dont want your 20 $5 cards for my $100 card!! & Since when is every Rookie Year card now a Rookie? Im sorry but your Upper Deck Portraits card is not a Rookie, nor are your Parallel cards. Yesterday i had someone offer me $80 in cards for my $150 then gets snooty with me cause i tell him the trade offer is not even close to fair. Another gave me a price on a card & i agreed to the Price then a few days later he messages me back & wants more than double his original quote on the card. I'm glad it happened then cause i was in the process of trading for some cards he needed from another member. This has happened before too.
    I cant forget the guys who message you about your cards, says he is interested but does nothing but put your card or the player down. If the card or player is so ™™™™ty then why do you want it?
    Then there's the Classic!! Lets say your card books $50, a nice round number. I can buy that card on EBay for $10!! Then Go Buy it!!!!

Where did all the reasonable traders on here go?

This used to be fun for me but now its just become Frustrating, the Ignore List has grown quite a bit over the last few months....
    Over the last year or so i have had a few packages apparently "get lost in the Mail". Its funny that it only seems to happen when its a bigger trade & good cards are involved & i have yet to have a "lost" package get returned to me even though my return address is on there. Its hard to trust anyone anymore...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I usually look at a trade this way. If I need the card and the trader says he values it at X $s then and I think it is fair I will offer the same amount in trade. If I feel he is asking to much then I will counter offer and if he refuses then I just say thanks anyway and pass.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

jameslacarte

i am not gonna disagree with you on some points but there are some fantastic traders on this site.

allonblack, KingNad97, hudley19, kidkanada, sundstrum, manthis, niemi14, hockeyrulz15 come to mind from recent trades i could go on and on

but there seems to be a lack of "collectors for fun". most members here and on a couple other sites i visit appear to have enormous funds. i simply have nothing they "want". we will never make a trade and its no ones fault. are people still cracking packs, or just buying the individual cards they want. i mean come on some of the "packs" or single card "boxes" are waaay out of my league. i dont even look anymore.

it might be interesting to pose a thread asking what type of monthly budget members have to buy cards. and then put yourself into a grouping with members who have similar budgets. i dont have lots of $100 cards. actually only a couple. i dont collect Matthews, McDavid etc i just cant afford it. they guys i like are boarderline players and will never be "stars". in a couple years those cards i collected will probably be worth nothing. but i dont care.

other members will add comments here and perhaps you will find some commonality amongst them. it is frustrating when you have a bunch of cards you cant get rid of. i know i have lots of them lol, but there is a reason you dont want them, probably the same reason they dont want them. i have looked at your traders, some i could use but i have nothing you want, so .......

as for this comment "few packages apparently "get lost in the Mail
    it does seem to happen more often lately. its sad that there are people out there that are so pathetic they stoop to this type of behaviour. same as the guy who bumps into your car in a parking lot and just drives off. the world is full of them. dont let them get the best of you. karma can be a bi**h but it doesnt happen overnight
    try to remember its supposed to be fun or at least a break from the nutty world we live in.

and i regress but my favorite axiom comes to mind
    DONT LET THE BAST**D WIN.

( and by Basta*d i mean the devil inside us)
    Last edited by icefields; 01-25-2020 at 08:26 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

As someone who just got back into trading last summer, I can also relate to this. There have been weeks where every trade offer seems horribly lopsided and then there are other weeks where the trades seem to fit perfectly. I'm quickly learning which members are easy to deal with and which ones I'm better off avoiding. It's that simple.

I think we have to acknowledge the impact that ePack has had on online trading card forums, including SCF. There are a number of former SCF members who prefer to collect and trade on that forum, because it can offer conveniences that other online card trading sites cannot. Personally, I love this site, and enjoy getting cards in the mail. I also like ePack. However, I think we need to recognize that many collectors have changing preferences.

It's also tough when you do not collect star players as @icefields noted, yet people expect star player compensation for their cards. I collect Mike Liut and I know that his cards will never magically increase in value. It doesn't matter to me, as he was a player I followed when I was growing up. So when someone offers me a 1/1 card of Liut, I try to be reasonable, it is after all a really rare card! But when people ask me to fork over $500 USD for a card with 1/1 stamped on it I want to pull my hair out, especially when I've purchased lots of other 1/1 cards of far better players for much cheaper. At that valuation, many of those cards will never be apart of my collection, and I'm okay with that.

I think I try to be reasonable with others, even if I think that they are being wildly unreasonable, even greedy. However at the end of the day, the person you need to be truly reasonable with is yourself. Not everyone will share your expectations and valuations and that's okay. Personally, I don't entertain deals that I don't think are fair, I don't help members who I don't think are helpful to others, and I will stubbornly pass up on deals or lose out on opportunities to pick up PC cards if it's a trader/seller I have no respect for. I can live with that.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I agree with what the others have said above. Find the good traders and enjoy their company and ignore the rest.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(628)
    Country

I have asked for patience, and now I get many opportunities to practice it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm glad i'm not the only 1 who is seeing this, i was starting to wonder if i was becoming a Grumpy old man lol..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

i was starting to wonder if i was becoming a Grumpy old man lol..

well.... you realize you just left the door open for a witty remark

I'm going to chime on this, but I'm interested to see other peoples thoughts on this

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

The hobby changed a lot in the past few years with all these high $ boxes. Personnally, my wants are getting smaller and smaller, so instead of trading for bait, I prefer selling. But on the more common stuff, I'm pretty easy to deal with. Far less set builders than in the past, also, almost no interest in lower-end stuff anymore. I remember¸15 years ago, during the Christmas holidays, boards were filled with OPC breaks and people trading. Now, most of the action is in group breaks of higher-end products.
    Last edited by odjickfan; 01-25-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

The hobby changed a lot in the past few years with all these high $ boxes. Personnally, my wants are getting smaller and smaller, so instead of trading for bait, I prefer selling. But on the more common stuff, I'm pretty easy to deal with. Far less set builders than in the past, also, almost no interest in lower-end stuff anymore. I remember¸15 years ago, during the Christmas holidays, boards were filled with OPC breaks and people trading. Now, most of the action is in group breaks of higher-end products.

I think you nailed it, nothing to really collect anymore. There’s almost only higher end products out there.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast