Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I agree with you

I mainly get on this site now for the occasional chat and that is about it. I will look at the trade section on different sports maybe once a week at most now. The two low end trades I have made worked for both sides. I have fun chatting on here but there is no guaranteed accountability if a trade goes wrong. All you can do is a little due diligence by checking out the feedback score and looking at past threads by the other user. If you are looking for low end trading I think this site is fine. Everyone is looking for something different. I am just not one of those people who likes to trade one or two low end cards for another. I could just sell it on eBay and the buyer would pay the shipping and make it more worth my time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The site has changed a lot since I first started here ( so has my collecting habits and tendencies )..... and trading has slowly become dwindled down to basically nothing for me. I still buy quite a bit here, and enjoy the box breaks / show and tell / hockey chat sections. Way back when, I used to be excited to get new cards or break boxes ..... now I cannot be bothered to scan, upload and post a S&T thread to get 150 views and 1 comment. I can do that in 10 seconds on Instagram now.

As far as trading is concerned ..... its been a tough go of a lot longer than summer. As stated above, this is partially the traders fault. People are a lot pickier with what they decide to add to their collection and if they dont see something for the PC, the mentality quickly turns to "What can I make a quick buck on". I know this is my mentality when looking at the traders forum. It is also Upper Decks fault. They have basically killed the mid tier market. Todays collector only sees low end and high end .... that mid tier is now gone. Its gone for wax, its gone for singles, it is basically non existent to the younger generation. For all the older members, remember walking around the shows and finding more $1 - $5 boxes than you could imagine going through, how many of those boxes do you find now? Do you ever come across a $1 - $2 box full of jerseys / autos / parallels anymore? Just doesnt exist.

As to why I think the OP is having issues trading.

- It looks like your block list is too long. Ive been on here for maybe 10 - 15 years, I dont think ive blocked one person yet. People are going to offer you garbage, or not agree on values .... but the more people you block. the less potential traders you have.

- BV vs SV. I use SV, unless its for a PC item .... then I dont care what im giving up to an extent. Unless you are trading apples for apples ( ie - YGs for YGs ) BV doesnt make sense. 3x lower end epack YGs doesnt equal one mid tier SPX auto. Doesnt matter what the Beckett says. Once SV became more prevalent, and more widely used than BV ..... it really drove tore a rift between the 2 sides.

Youre also mentioning a lot of generational tendencies ive experienced off this forum.

- A lot of the younger generation does think any rookie year card is a rookie card. I dont know why, most likely because they dont use the forums.

- Basically 100% of my generation ( and younger ) dont own a beckett within the last 5+ years, or have never looked at a beckett.

- Dont get me started on the "TV" you'll find on facebook and IG. I dont know what it is, ive asked how they come up with the value .... and I cant get a real explanation. SV makes sense, look at ebay and see what the items are selling for on average. Even though I dont agree with the Beckett valuing system, BV makes sense ... look at the numbers in the book and go off that. TV (trade value) on the other hand, is not SV or BV ..... its literally a number I am making up on the spot based on how the other person places the "TV" on the card I like from them.

Back to trading:

- I used to always have an updated trade list ...... I havent made one in years

- I used to always have an updated bucket .... I havent uploaded much in years.

- I used to always post want / trade lists on the forum ....... I dont do that anymore either.

Its honestly not worth the time and effort to put these threads together .... to get a few inquiries about cards people hope they have enough for, but know they actually dont.

If anyone wants to trade, I collect:

- Pettersson / Horvat / Boeser / Q. Hughes
    - Luongo / Fleury / Brodeur / Roy / Hasek
    - Crosby / Ovechkin / McDavid / Malkin

I basically only look for higher end and rookie year, and have comparable higher end to trade in return. I trade solely based on completed ebay auctions ( for those of you that say this is not a very accurate way to determine values ) - I can see all completed sales (BIN / BO / Auction) within the last 12 months, I feel thats a wide enough range to come up with a fair value for any card
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am not a hockey collector, I only collect basketball but would like to chime in. I have traded on SCF since I found this site in 2007. Found many great traders who I happily trade with currently and overall hundreds of successful trades in that time.

Recently I have found some members being greedy and just want to make money. I know this is a business to some, but its a hobby for majority of us. Not going to mention member names, but I hate it when you want some low to mid end rookies or inserts, and they ask for like Zion, Luka, or Giannis RCs in return. Or they have $25 book value in common inserts/set fillers and say well they go for x amount on EBAY so I need that same EBAY value back in return so your $30 card wont work since last auction for your card sold on EBAY for $4. It just takes all the fun out of the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allonblack13's Items on eBay

I'm not sure what the problem is, if you don't like the deal don't take/make it. Sure, one out of every 5 trade talks is just some guy trying to score something awesome for some junk but it just makes me appreciate all the awesome guys I work out plenty of mutually beneficial deals with all the more. Some folks I just flat out avoid and others I check in with every few months to see if their expectations have become more reasonable. I still trade here more than any site and between SCF and the 2 remaining major sites (you had a good run CnC) I still manage to pull 20-25 trades a month which keeps me busy.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

For all the older members, remember walking around the shows and finding more $1 - $5 boxes than you could imagine going through, how many of those boxes do you find now? Do you ever come across a $1 - $2 box full of jerseys / autos / parallels anymore? Just doesnt exist.

I can say all my show around me have boxes of stuff for under $2 including jersey some suyo’s.

Don

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can say all my show around me have boxes of stuff for under $2 including jersey some suyo’s.

Don

At the Expo in Toronto last fall, I bought a total of four cards. The first came came from a dealer where I saw cards I wanted... the pair cost me less than $10 (one was an IP signature).

The second pair of cards came from another dealer. While not a "box" - I was flipping through his $2-$5 jersey & auto binders, found a card I wanted. I was about to give the guy $5 for it, and ended up spending an extra $70, he had something in his showcase I really wanted.

I don't got to a lot of shows though, so not sure if binders like that are still normal? My desire to flip through stuff like that is non-existent. I won't do it 99% of the time, because flipping through a bunch of unorganized cards on the off chance there's one I want, well, it's a waste of time, IMO.

This dealer had everything SORTED, so I could quickly skim through various sets and looks for specific cards, easily. That's why I stopped.

As for the OP........ I've got hundreds of transactions on this site. Not many are from the last couple of years, because my own activity in buy / sell / trade has dropped.... but I have had very few problems with being treated unfairly.

Look, if I've got a card that you want... and you make some offer to me that I don't like... meh, whatever. I'm not insulted. I'm trying to think of the last time I was engaged in some kind of trade (or sell) talk that didn't go well.... something like this:

I have a sales thread up. Cards are priced, shipping is an extra $2, or free if you spend $20.
    Someone asks me what my "best price dlvd" is for three cards that I have listed for $5 each.
    My answer: $17 dlvd

Then we get into a couple of messages about me not wanting to deal, blah, blah, blah. You know what? I really don't care. If the next time I post a sale thread, that member responds and wants to buy something - he can ask me to sell for less than I'm asking, and I'll say no... or he can offer what I'm asking, and I'll happily sell it to him.

For trading, I made a fairly large deal last year (value going each way was between $500 & $1k) that was just a swap of cards. No cash involved. I was moving out some "don't need them in the PC anymore" type cards, that were worth a fair bit of money.... but a little tougher to move, because the interest isn't massive. Other member wanted them for his PC, and moved out equally valuable cards - but ones that were a lot more liquidy (i.e. I can move them easily, if I want to). There was about a dozen cards going my way... and I think maybe 5 going his? I got the best card in the deal, he got the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, best... etc. I found that swap incredibly easy to do.

I think trading in general has become difficult though, yes. At least for me. Most of the time, I'm not interested in trading for "bait". If I've got a card worth $10, I'd happily move it for a card I WANT that's worth $8 - but my personal wants have become too small & niche (in most cases) so it's hard to find a trading partner. I'd rather just sell my card for $10, and buy one I do want.

I suspect some of the problem you see today.... if you find someone that's got a few cards you'd like to trade for, they see nothing you have that they actually want to own - so they ask for the stuff they know they can move easily.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rookmyster's Items on eBay

Yes trading is tough. I have given up double of what I should sometimes because I needed a card and paid dearly in trade.. Also everyone wants to sell so the fun of trading is dying
    Flickr Page Hidden Content
    Tradepage:

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes trading is tough. I have given up double of what I should sometimes because I needed a card and paid dearly in trade.. Also everyone wants to sell so the fun of trading is dying

It is often tough to trade with the sellers as they tend to want more in return so they can make something on every transaction.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See darbscard88's Items on eBay Instagram:

I used to make a few trades on here and never really had an issue. To be honest, I find the biggest hurdle here is the site is just dated compared to a lot of other options out there. The sale/trade thread nature of the site is time consuming and your thread can quickly get burried by new threads. Something like instagram, as bad as it can be on there, requires far less effort to get a similar result. You can instantly and easily post photos of cards there from a cellphone making it super accessible. Just my thoughts.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

I used to make a few trades on here and never really had an issue. To be honest, I find the biggest hurdle here is the site is just dated compared to a lot of other options out there. The sale/trade thread nature of the site is time consuming and your thread can quickly get burried by new threads. Something like instagram, as bad as it can be on there, requires far less effort to get a similar result. You can instantly and easily post photos of cards there from a cellphone making it super accessible. Just my thoughts.

are you using the mobile responsive style?

However, point taken on the forum software... I'll leave it at this until there is something that I can announce.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast