Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @ncualoping10 See ncualoping10's Items on eBay

Chitownautos 2020 IP Success Thread

On to 2020! Last year wasn't the best for me for autographs. A combination of being really busy and working did not give me very many chances for autographs. Some of my highlights include getting closer to my goal of completing my 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series baseball set with 6 more signed baseballs, meeting 3 Hall of Famers in Dick Butkus, Denis Savard, and Harold Baines, and attending 3 fan fests with the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Bears, and Chicago Blackhawks. I ended with 112 autographs on the year, which was my lowest total for any full year of collecting. Looking forward to what 2020 holds.

2013 - 39
    2014 - 133
    2015 - 177
    2016 - 222
    2017 - 255
    2018 - 202
    2019 - 112

Total - 1140

SCF Rewards
    Country

Friday, January 17, 2020

Cardinals Caravan - I Hotel and Conference Center (Champaign, IL) - 24 Autographs (Sit Down)
    Tommy Edman - 4/4 8x10 Photos
    Daniel Ponce De Leon - 2/2 Cards
    Nolan Gorman - 1/1 ROMLB, 2/2 Cards
    Matthew Liberatore - 1/1 ROMLB, 2/2 Cards
    Bernard Gilkey - 8/8 Cards
    Kyle McClellan - 4/4 Cards

The 2020 Cardinals Caravan made its way to a hotel in Champaign, Illinois. The Caravan featured a mixture of six former and current players from the St. Louis Cardinals. The Caravan consists of a Q&A followed by an autograph session. I was able to get 4 autographs on 8x10 photos from current player Tommy Edman, 2 cards signed by current player Daniel Ponce De Leon, 1 baseball and 2 cards signed by top prospect Nolan Gorman, 1 baseball and 2 cards signed by top prospect Matthew Liberatore, 8 cards signed by former player Bernard Gilkey, and 4 cards signed by former player Kyle McClellan. Overall, I got 24 autographs from the Caravan, a solid start to 2020.

YEAR TO DATE: 24
    SIT DOWN: 24
    ON THE GO: 0

SCF Rewards
    Country

Friday, January 24, 2020 & Saturday, January 25, 2020

SoxFest - McCormick Place (Chicago, IL) - 57 Autographs (Sit Down/On the Go)
    Jose Abreu - 1/1 ROMLB
    Leury Garcia - 2/2 8x10 Photos, 4/4 Cards
    Jose Contreras - 1/1 2005 WS ROMLB
    Steve Cishek - 2/2 Cards
    Nick Madrigal - 2/2 ROMLBs, 2/2 Cards
    Daryl Boston - 4/4 Cards
    Ozzie Guillen - 1/1 8x10 Photo
    Luis Robert - 1/1 ROMLB
    Dylan Cease - 1/1 8x10 Photo, 1/1 Ticket Stub
    Don Cooper - 4/4 Cards
    Nick Capra - 4/4 Cards
    Joe MeEwing - 4/4 Cards
    Rick Renteria - 1/1 2018 Game Used Jersey, 2/2 Cards
    John Cangelosi - 4/4 Cards
    Donn Pall - 3/3 Cards
    Dan Pasqua - 2/2 Cards
    Carlos May - 1/1 Card
    Danny Farquhar - 3/3 Cards
    Zack Collins - 1/1 Card
    Dane Dunning - 4/4 Cards
    Michael Kopech - 1/1 ROMLB, 1/1 8x10 Photo

Time to recap my first ever SoxFest. I'm a diehard Chicago White Sox fan, but my schedule never allowed me to go to SoxFest before. SoxFest normally is at the Hilton Chicago Hotel, but moved to McCormick Place Convention Center this year. There was a lot going on in a narrow space, which made things both good and bad. Everything related to the convention - autograph stages, seminar rooms, interactive exhibits, team stores - where all located in the same convention hall making everything close to each other but with so many people around. SoxFest lasted 2 days, and I was able to get 57 autographs on the weekend, including 44 cards, 6 ROMLBs, 5 8x10 photos, 1 ticket stub, and 1 jersey. There were 6 autograph stages going on at a time slot and you were only allowed to have one wristband on at once, so you had to get creative.

On Friday, I immediately entered the convention and headed straight to the Jose Abreu autograph line. There were 200 wristbands, and I was #195, so I barely made it. Abreu signed a ROMLB. There was no line for newly signed relief pitcher Steve CIshek, so I quickly got a wristband and he signed 2 cards and added a bible verse. From there, I got in line for super utility man Leury Garcia, who was awesome and signed 2 8x10 photos and 4 cards. Next, I met 2005 World Series champion Jose Contreras, who signed a 2005 World Series baseball. The last signing of the day was for top prospect Nick Madrigal and I barely got a wristband. Madrigal signed 2 ROMLBs and 2 cards. Besides the autograph lines, I also was able to get 2005 World Series manager Ozzie Guillen on an 8x10 photo, who was making an appearance at a T.V. booth right beside the Abreu line. I also got former player and current coach Daryl Boston to sign 4 cards as he was walking around. I got 19 autographs day one.

Saturday started off very good. I barely made it into the first round of signings, getting wristband #182 of 200 for top prospect Luis Robert, who is expected to be the Opening Day center fielder. Robert signed a ROMLB. Next, I got in line for current pitcher Dylan Cease, who signed an 8x10 photo for me and a ticket stub from his MLB debut game on July 3, 2019, adding "MLB Debut" on the ticket stub. Next, I ran around getting a bunch of coaches and former players, who all had relatively no line waits for any of them. I got pitching coach Don Cooper to sign 4 cards, third base coach Nick Capra to sign 4 cards, and bench coach Joe McEwing to sign 4 cards. I then got in line for former players, John Cangelosi, Donn Pall, Dan Pasqua, and Carlos May, who were all signing together on one stage. Cangelosi signed 4 cards, Pall signed 3 cards, Pasqua signed 2 cards, and May signed 1 card. Next, I got in line for former player Danny Farquhar, who suffered a brain hemorrhage in the dugout during a 2018 game Farquhar was awesome and personable with every fan and he signed 3 cards. The last wristband I got was for current manager Rick Renteria. This might have been my best autograph on the weekend. There was a garage sale at the convention which featured a bunch of old giveaways and game used/team issued gear. You really have to know what you are looking before, because the garage sale is a mess with a bunch of random items. I was able to find a jersey of manager Rick Renteria, which was authenticated to be a team issued jersey from the 2018 season. Long story short, since managers don't actually play in the games it is impossible for a jersey of a coach to be labelled as "game used." Instead, all coaches' jerseys are designated as "team issued" even though these are the jerseys the coaches wear in the dugout. Anyways, I was able to figure out the Renteria jersey I had was part of his second jersey set from the 2018 season, and even though it was authenticated as "team issued" I am 99% certain it was actually worn during a game that season. I bought the jersey and got it signed by Renteria, who was able to confirm he wore it during the 2018 season. I also got 2 cards signed as well. Besides the autograph stages, I was also able to get 4 cards signed from prospect Dane Dunning who signed as he was coming off of another autograph stage, 1 card signed from prospect Zack Collins as he was walking around, and 1 ROMLB and 1 8x10 photo from top prospect Michael Kopech as he was walking off a seminar panel. I was able to get 38 autographs on Saturday.

YEAR TO DATE: 81
    SIT DOWN: 69 (nice)
    ON THE GO: 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Bulls

Awesome haul!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Saturday, February 15, 2020

2020 NBA All Star Game Appearance (Mountain Dew) - Walmart (Hodgkins, IL) - 3 Autographs (Sit Down)
    Wendell Carter Jr. (Chicago Bulls) - 3/3 8x10 Photos

The 2020 NBA All Star Game was held in Chicago, and I'm not even kidding there were probably over 50 athlete and celebrity appearances in and around Chicago during the week. Unfortunately, my work did not allow me to attend very many things, but I did get to go to a couple signings during the weekend. I went to a signing at a Walmart in the suburbs with current Chicago Bulls player Wendell Carter Jr.. His handler forced Carter to personalize everything, but at least Carter was signing outside items. Carter signed and personalized 2 8x10 photos that I brought, and I got a PhotoFile 8x10 photo that they were handing out, which was solid, and Carter did not personalize the PhotoFile picture. I was able to get 3 signed 8x10 photos in total.

YEAR TO DATE: 84
    DIT DOWN: 72

SCF Rewards
    Country

Saturday, February 15, 2020

2020 NBA All Star Game Appearance (Mountain Dew) - Walmart (Chicago, IL) - 7 Autographs (Sit Down)
    Charles Oakley (Chicago Bulls) - 7/7 8x10 Photos

After going to see Wendell Carter Jr., I went to another Walmart in Chicago to meet former Chicago Bulls player Charles Oakley, who spent the majority of his career with the New York Knicks. Oakley was really cool and I was able to get 5 autographs on 8x10 photos plus two more PhotoFile 8x10 photos that they were giving out. In total, I got 7 autographs from Oakley. After going to signings with Carter and Oakley, I went to the NBA All Star Saturday Night event and got to see a really cool Dunk Contest.

YEAR TO DATE: 91
    SIT DOWN: 79

SCF Rewards
    Country

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Chicago White Sox Appearance - Buffalo Wings & Rings (Chicago, IL) - 2 Autographs (Sit Down)
    Neal Cotts - 2/2 2005 WS ROMLBs

I am inching closer to completing my 2005 World Series baseball set. Neal Cotts, a relief pitcher on the team, made a paid appearance at a restaurant in Chicago. One of the few times I go to paid signings, Cotts charged $25 per autograph. However, I got two autographs for the price of one. When I handed Cotts the first ball, he started to sign on the sweet spot. He stopped after drawing a line on the sweet spot and signed under the logo. I had a second ball on hand and he signed it no problem since he messed up the first one. A little Magic Eraser took the mark on the sweet spot right off, so all is well. I got 2 2005 World Series ROMLBs signed to get me to 21/25 players on the team, plus a couple coaches.

YEAR TO DATE: 93
    SIT DOWN: 81