Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Rookie Year Question

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Arrow Rookie Year Question

Hey everybody,

Been out of the hobby for a while, was a FB and Hockey guy before. I'm jumping into baseball and specifically Trey Mancini, but unsure of what constitutes his true rookie year, I see a few from 2016 and then 2017. Does the year affect the value much? Thanks all!

John

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do you want rookie year or rookie card year? Baseball apparently you can just pick what you want now.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Well I guess i want to understand the difference between his 2016 Bowman Chrome auto (First Bowman) and the 2017 cards with the rc logo. So no big difference?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Navy
    Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Ohio State Buckeyes
    Twitter: @Tribe_Buckeye_Fan See 96berettaz26's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Believe the agreement is they get the logo when they are actually in the majors full time. Bowman is always a product that is put out before a lot of guys make it to the bigs. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how they do it because there was a lot of discussion a few years back because collector's complained out this very thing (figuring out TRUE rookie cards).

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See superfly0914's Items on eBay

Starting in 2006, a player could not have a true rookie card until he appeared on a teams 40 man roster. So as an example, Mancini appeared in 2016 Bowman products, which are designated as “1st Bowman Card”, but these are considered prospect cards, not rookies. Since he made his mlb debut in 2017, his cards from this year are designated with the “rc” logo, this making them his true rookie card (though that also becomes complex as many subset and insert cards also carry that logo, but are not actual rookie cards).

So, if you want a “first card”, you are typically looking at bowman prospects or draft (paper or chrome), Bowman platinum prospects, topps heritage minor league, or topps pro debut. If you want a true rookie card, then look for the “rc” logo.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions regarding rookies.

Brad

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks guys that makes sense. I apprechaite the help!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Miss the days when you only had 1 rookie card...