Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Florida

SCF Rewards
    Country

Greetings from Florida

I owned a comic / sports card shop back in the early 90's, after having managed 3 other comic shops. My focus was the comics; my brother ran the cards. Fast forward to today, when I still buy and read comics, but have late in life become enamored with the game of baseball. Wanting to get into baseball card collecting, I purchased an estate sale collection of cards from an antiques shop. Not knowing anything really about card values, and having speedily sifted through the cards, I gave the lady $100 and took my bounty home. There were approximately 30k cards that I'm sure have been cherry picked as none of the complete boxed sets were complete, mostly from the late 80's to early 2000's. So basically, a bunch of low value garbage mostly. I've found a few interesting pieces (some Cal Ripkin, Ken Griffey Jr., and Nolan Ryan cards, along that nature), and an autographed Wille Stargell w/ certificate of authenticity. Enough odds and ends to have made the $100 a wise investment when it appeared it was a waste of money. I'm hooked. I've been purchasing new Topps product straight from the source. Opening packs is addictive.

While I'm still trying to figure out all that I got in that initial purchase, I'm extremely confused by Upper Deck products. There are basic UD cards, Collector's Choice, cards with silver logos, and cards with gold logos all from the same years. I assume these are all different products, but have no real idea how to look them up since I don't know what they were called. My brother claims not to recall.

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself immensely right now, especially since there is no real baseball happening at the moment. Thanks for giving me a place to learn.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots
    Twitter: @njbritton Instagram:

Welcome back- I am in Ft Lauderdale and newish. Love this site!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Welcome to SCF

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Browns Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics
    See jonsdoe1432's Items on eBay

hello and welcome

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I owned a comic / sports card shop back in the early 90's, after having managed 3 other comic shops. My focus was the comics; my brother ran the cards. Fast forward to today, when I still buy and read comics, but have late in life become enamored with the game of baseball. Wanting to get into baseball card collecting, I purchased an estate sale collection of cards from an antiques shop. Not knowing anything really about card values, and having speedily sifted through the cards, I gave the lady $100 and took my bounty home. There were approximately 30k cards that I'm sure have been cherry picked as none of the complete boxed sets were complete, mostly from the late 80's to early 2000's. So basically, a bunch of low value garbage mostly. I've found a few interesting pieces (some Cal Ripkin, Ken Griffey Jr., and Nolan Ryan cards, along that nature), and an autographed Wille Stargell w/ certificate of authenticity. Enough odds and ends to have made the $100 a wise investment when it appeared it was a waste of money. I'm hooked. I've been purchasing new Topps product straight from the source. Opening packs is addictive.

While I'm still trying to figure out all that I got in that initial purchase, I'm extremely confused by Upper Deck products. There are basic UD cards, Collector's Choice, cards with silver logos, and cards with gold logos all from the same years. I assume these are all different products, but have no real idea how to look them up since I don't know what they were called. My brother claims not to recall.

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself immensely right now, especially since there is no real baseball happening at the moment. Thanks for giving me a place to learn.

Don,

Congrats on the nice state sale and welcome to the site.

Now on your UD Collectir Choice I believe the silvers were inserted say one per pack etc and gold like one per box. So if you happen to have a superstar,good it might be more than a few dollars. As they are hard to,come buy when it one per box if my recollection is correct.
    @ToxicDon

Anything else just ask and enjoy the hobby. Thanks for the nice intro.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SCF and back to the hobby. Always loved ripping packs. Make sure to check the site out!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Welcome and good luck

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SCF!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Dispute Team Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Dallas Cowboys Pittsburgh Penguins New York Yankees
    See etmill01's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Welcome to SCF...Ed

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SCF!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast