Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @https://twitter.com/fultoncards See https://www.ebay.com/usr/fultoncards's Items on eBay Instagram:

2013-14 (13/14) Upper Deck SPx Hockey Hobby Box Break | FACE REVEAL (2020)

I crushed a box of 2013-14 SPx a couple of days ago. Given the craziness going on with the virus, I took the opportunity to do a face reveal.

I am always reluctant to post on message boards, because I get grief (predictable hostility/trolling) from ppl who say I'm spamming or selling my channel, and they just want to see what my hits were. The diametric opposite of why I break boxes publicly. Those who know me get that I barely "sell" my channel. The trick to growing a channel is having timely release day breaks, and doing adrenaline rush type reveals, chasing hits. I'm a bit older and I have never been a gamer (unless the original Castle Wolfenstein, Ms. Pac-Man, or One-on-One Dr. J for Apple IIe count).

The original point of my channel was to push back against the physiological gaming/gambling aspects of box breaks, especially relative to children, and provide an alternative voice focused on: (1) Relating personal narratives and sentimentality in relation to cards, incl. non-hits; (2) Understanding box odds and discussing player stats and draft positions; (3) Identifying historical products that represent good value or revelation about our hobby; and (4) Appealing to ppl from different age groups, gender, or socio-economic backgrounds.

The impetus really related to worrying the hobby was enduring a hyperinflation, similar to the 1990s, but this time much more covert, as gimmickry like card numbering was being used to justify indefensible release day price points. And at some point, a fire sale would nonetheless occur on eBay, as it has in previous eras of mass printing. The difference here is rather than have mass prints we have mass products, and price points unrelated to box odds -- more related to chasing. Worse, social media serves to misdirect ppl into assuming they too can defy the odds and hit the rookie-du-jour. I.e.: "Hey! You never know!" But we do know. Ppl throw good money after bad, and no one fesses up that everyone is in the red. Cards are really a significant sunk cost on average, on no level an investment (unless you are an actual professional retailer or expert).

Anyway, I did open a box of 2013-14 SPx in its old configuration. It's surprisingly replete with foil rookies. I really enjoyed it.

Configuration:
    - 12 packs per box, 4 cards per pack + 1 UD Ice bonus pack

Base Set: 1-100
    Foil Rookies: 101-140
    Foil Rookies SP: 141-160
    Auto-Rookies: 161-249

Box Break:
    - 1 #’d rookie auto
    - 1 rookie materials mem
    - 1 Winning Materials or Winning Combos mem
    - 1 additional auto, mem, or premium insert
    - 2 1996-97 SPx Retro Inserts
    - 1 Rookie SSP
    - 5 Additional Rookie SP Cards
    - 1 UD Ice Rookie Premieres
    - 4 UD Ice Base Cards

Foil Rookie SP: B. Jenner; B. Gallagher; S. Monahan; D. Hamilton; J. Huberdeau; V. Nichushkin; A. Galchenyuk; N. Yakupov; S. Jones; C. Coyle; N. MacKinnon; E. Lindholm; V. Tarasenko; M. Grigorenko; A. Barkov; R. Murray; J. Schultz; R. Ristolainen; T. Hertl; and P. Mrazek.
    Last edited by Fultoncards; 03-26-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    SUBSCRIBE to Fultoncards on YouTube for FREE hockey cards. I am a consumer advocate focused on pack odds, and the history of our hobby. I do box breaks, recaps and reviews of affordable and vintage cards.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

The old format of SPx was fun. Thank you for sharing! :)
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (162)
    Country
    Navy
    Minnesota Wild Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Twins
    See ceej830's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Love your videos! Great commentary and insight! Good job!

--Curt
    GO WILD!!!

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @https://twitter.com/fultoncards See https://www.ebay.com/usr/fultoncards's Items on eBay Instagram:

Love your videos! Great commentary and insight! Good job!

--Curt

Thanks for the kind words. I picked up Fiala in my pool. He's been a monster for me.