SCF Rewards
    Country

Popularity of Cal Ripken Rookie Cards Not Just About The Streak

In 1982, no one could have guessed at the unbreakable record he would someday surpass, but Cal Ripken Jr. rookie cards are popular for many reasons.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

More...

SCF Rewards
    Country

In 1982, no one could have guessed at the unbreakable record he would someday surpass, but Cal Ripken Jr. rookie cards are popular for many reasons.

More...

Well, last year I bought a huge box of Beckett's/Sports Card Digest (at least 50+ magazines from 87-93) and other publications that provide sports card values.... Many went back all the way to 1987....It's kind of funny because at one point in the early 90's (1990 or so) Cal Ripkin's regular issue booked higher ($12.00) than his Topps traded ($9.00).... Then of course you look at other players rookies you can find in a dollar or quarter bin anywhere booking much higher than the Ripkin rookie... Guys like Kevin Mitchell, Strawberry, Gooden, Valenzuela, Frank Viola, Howard Johnson, Willie McGee, George Bell, Kent Hurbek etc.... I mean I presently have a February 1991 issue #71 with George Brett on the cover right in front of me and according to this issue the Cal Ripkin base card #21 booked for $16.00^/$25.00 and his Topps Traded booked at $21.00^/$30.00.... Which is funny because I just looked up the notorious 1989 Fleer Billy Ripkin ERR and the "whiteout" version booked in Beckett at the time for: $24.00/$40.00 - admittedly it is a rare error card BUT you can buy them all day on ebay for $30.00.

Also, I enjoy reading these older Beckett's from the late 80's and early 90's because their opinion editorials are just so fun to read in hindsight 30 years later.... Reading about "can miss stars and 5-tool prospects will be the mega-stars of the 90's" when most of them were busts or never even played an MLB game - also it's enjoyable to read the "letter to the editor" at the back of the Beckett by collectors -- these older card publications are pure comedy gold....

I don't collect baseball anymore - I'm a hockey card collector now, however I did collect baseball (and hockey) cards as a kid, however I presently do have a small baseball card collection most of which is from the late 80's to early 90's (about 5,000 cards) but boy, oh boy would I be rich if it was 1990, lol.... I will say I do on occasion buy a blaster box or a fat pack of baseball cards every once in a while - the problem is I have absolutely no idea who the hot rookies are and which cards are valuable and which ones aren't - I mainly buy them for the jerseys, autos and inserts. Tho I do enjoy Topps Archives and Topps Heritage because when I was a kid I really enjoyed collecting vintage cards, and those two sets use the vintage designs and I think that is pretty cool.

Anyway, I just thought I would drop a post considering I have been reading old price guides and though I could add some input from 30 years ago..