Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

Best type of pack to buy for condition sensitive cards? (‘85 Topps FB)

Long story short:
    for a card with sensitive black boarders when looking for a mint card what’s the best type of pack to buy? Wax, cello, rack, grocery rack or vending box?

Long Story:
    I am looking for a 1985 Topps Mike Singletary that will grade a PSA 10. Yes, it has to be PSA. I am working on a PSA Set registry. Only 4 exist so buying one is slim pickens and thought I’d buy packs with the gleaming hopes that one day I’ll get one worth sending in.

I currently have the best SGC (96) and BGS (9 with the best sub grades) graded cards and a PSA 9 and 8.5. I have been buying up every single decent looking raw card I can and none are as nice as the graded ones I have.

So back to the packs. I just opened three rack packs (142 cards) I purchased off eBay and not only did I not get a single Singletary card (luck of the draw, I’m not mad) but I’m not convinced there was a card that would grade a 9 on anyone’s scale.

So what provides the most protection for a 35 year old card waiting to be bought and opened? I thought the vending box might be a good idea but the one i have found is super expensive and I’m not convinced it’s the best option other than I know there won’t be any gum stains. I just imagine, that because I know there is some space in the box that they have shifted and been jostled around they could have edge damage. Your thoughts?

Thanks for reading

SCF Rewards
    Country

Forgot to mention, I do have a wax box in route from Canada that looked great in the eBay photos. We shall see how they turn out. This will be my second box of 1985 Topps I have opened. First one was in the late 90’s and the condition of those wasn’t that great either.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Recommendation of where I should have posted this to get a better response (any response at all)? Would the basic football section been better than vintage?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

@FireRob- Unfortunately the vintage forum doesn't get a whole lot of looks in comparison to the major sports forums. I don't have a lock of experience with this issue, so I can't really provide you with a meaningful opinion.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Country

I appreciate the reply. Not a whole lot of activity right now on the football forum either. ��

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (24)
    Country
    See szczurs's Items on eBay

I used to collect unopened in that period and from my experience you're going to have a tough time -- cellos and rack from unsealed boxes were "searchable" and the better RCs could be culled out -- the wax packs have the gum and wax staining issues -- the vending boxes should NOT have space in them, they were really tight "bricks" that were almost impossible to pull cards from and replace. The biggest caveat w/ALL unopened is knowing/trusting the seller, so that your getting your best shot at a mint card -- which is really hard because of the black borders in "85 -- Good Luck with your hunt
    Looking for Washington Caps. Wantlist/Tradelist @ Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@FireRob

I am getting a group of PSA cards together to go in. Getting a 10 on the black borders is like winning the lottery. BUT. I bought some cello packs a while back and most of them were super nice. Could have been dumb luck, but the ones in the middle of the box, seem to be protected really well. I'll check and see if I have a Singletary that could​ make at least a 9.

Just my 2 cents.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Second note. Let me know what Cowboys you get in the 1985 box. I'd be willing to trade for them.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Second note. Let me know what Cowboys you get in the 1985 box. I'd be willing to trade for them.

I should have any and all the Cowboys. Pulled a couple nice Tony D’s and Jim Jeffcoat RC’s. I am opening more boxes right now and should be done in a few days. (I’m slow, each card instantly goes in a soft sleeve then in a big storage box in numerical order). Takes a while to open four boxes that way.

remind me in a few days if you dont hear back from me.

oh and I have a couple posts going in the football section. I’ll add some Cowboys to the next group of photos.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh and my favorite Cowboy in this set. The Bill Bates RC