Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Major League Baseball Is At Risk For A Lot Of Reasons

Major League Baseball is trying to craft a plan for a possible 2020 season. There have been a lot of obstacles in the world to overcome, the one fans, and the media didn’t expect to be an issue was the way ownership is trying to treat the players.

I give Tony Clark and the MLBPA a lot of credit. Early on, they signed on for a pro-rated pay cut, instead of receiving 100% of their salaries, which they could have demanded based on the CBA. Now in the last few weeks, they want the players to take deeper cuts. After years of never offering players a 50-50 split, now at a time, there aren’t fans in the stands, they want the players to now accept that and they turned that down before they even got into the meeting.
    http://www.sportsology.com/major-lea...LmPl9BArzEU52k

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to have to lean toward the owners on this one. Even if the season is only 81 games or what not, there still won't be the same amount of revenue without fans being able to attend. When MLB and the players first agreed to prorated pay for a reduced season, the expectation was that the games would have fans in attendance. Now, however, it's looking more and more like there won't be fans at the games, so an amendment request is completely warranted. When it boils down, owners pay players ridiculous salaries because they expect those players to put butts in the seats, which probably won't be happening anywhere. Splitting the crumbs that there may be revenue-wise seems fair, IMO.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I agree with ya on leaning toward the owners. Of course you have to understand the MLPBA is going to try to get everything they can.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

I reluctantly side with the owners. In these times when people have no or little income coming in, some of these players are setting themselves up for the blame.If you don't want to play do to the risk or even the paycut, fine, no problem. Complaining about a 50% cut when your making $7,000,000 sounds pretty selfish, even if your on strong legal grounds(contracts). Game is dying anyhow, never watch anymore. Fours plus for nine inning 5-4 game way too long. I'll just check the box scores. Get in the box! Throw the ball! Never thought i'd think this, but i can do without it. Sorry about the long read.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm going to have to lean toward the owners on this one. Even if the season is only 81 games or what not, there still won't be the same amount of revenue without fans being able to attend. When MLB and the players first agreed to prorated pay for a reduced season, the expectation was that the games would have fans in attendance. Now, however, it's looking more and more like there won't be fans at the games, so an amendment request is completely warranted. When it boils down, owners pay players ridiculous salaries because they expect those players to put butts in the seats, which probably won't be happening anywhere. Splitting the crumbs that there may be revenue-wise seems fair, IMO.

I am 100 % with the owners. I could go on a rant. I won't. The players are being millenials. We are all making less, or being squeezed by the catastrophe. Sacrfice short term for the greater good or kill the golden goose. It's that simple. Billionaire owners arent just one guy at the top. They have 1000 employees under them. an agreement is an agreement

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hell no I don't side with the owners. They are the reason salaries are the way they are.

Who here would take a pay cut if their job asked them to? I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

EDIT: This is just some 2 minute fact checking, but 2019 Cardinals revenue was 383 million. Player salaries were 160 million. I know there are other expenses involved, but after player salary we're still looking at 120m. The owners/team should be the ones absorbing the financial hit due to this. The team will still be making money in 2040 and beyond, while most of these players will not.
    Last edited by anavrin78; 05-27-2020 at 12:23 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Are you kidding me? You know how many people in USA have taken a pay cut so that layoffs can be avoided? 40 M unemployed

SCF Rewards
    Country

Are you kidding me? You know how many people in USA have taken a pay cut so that layoffs can be avoided? 40 M unemployed

I do not personally know anyone who has taken, or been asked to take a pay cut to keep their job. I know there are record numbers of people on unemployment and believe me I do feel terrible for them. But what we are talking about is baseball. I cannot feel bad for the people who have decided to price the majority of the fanbase out of being able to take their family to see a game. It wasn't too many years ago that I was lucky to be making 250-300 dollars a week, and last year that was typically what a game was costing me if I want us to get brats/dogs/nachos and have soda/beer, aka the "ballpark" experience for my family of 4.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Not only the players but what about the stadium staff that surive on these stadiums being opened I know at lwast 30 people in Baltimore that work camden in the spring summer then m&t in fall and winter. Most are going on 9 weeks without a pay due to gaffes in the unemployment industry one individual being in his 60s been working since he was a teen and for the first time in his life has had to rely on a food bank.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's why it's been so great to hear stories like Mark Cuban continuing to pay venue staff, or the players who have given money to venue staff. But again this is all on the owners. If a team generates record revenue, the ownership doesn't divy that back up between the players, they get what they agreed to take as their salary. Which is what the teams should be paying them.

Not only the players but what about the stadium staff that surive on these stadiums being opened I know at lwast 30 people in Baltimore that work camden in the spring summer then m&t in fall and winter. Most are going on 9 weeks without a pay due to gaffes in the unemployment industry one individual being in his 60s been working since he was a teen and for the first time in his life has had to rely on a food bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast