Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Help me understand something about ebay

I have never used ebay in my entire life, so I need you guys to tell me what's going on here.

- Ebay sold
    - Upper Deck 2017-2018 base set (series 1 and 2)
    - Winning Bid $0.99
    - Shipping costs $60.00

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I would have to see the listing..... but it's very possible that the winner did not actually pay that for shipping.

I'm guessing the seller is in the USA, and you're in Canada? Seller may have been charging $60 to ship to Canada... but to USA it might have been a small fraction of that, and that's where the buyer was from.

You don't see what the winner paid for shipping. You see what you would have to pay for shipping.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Notre Dame Fighting Irish San Francisco Giants
    COMC Cards For Sale

I pretty stopped buying with vendors that use Ebay's global shipping. When it started and I was charged more after I bought something than was posted. I'd ask them and they would have no clue there was more being charged by ebay. I have no problem paying the seller proper shipping costs but I'm not paying them and ebay to do it
    always looking for
    John Gibson
    jamie drysdale
    Devon levi
    Yarasov askarov

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vincecarter15ricknash61collector's Items on eBay

Most of the shipping costs that I see on Ebay is pretty crazy. I have all but given up on ever bidding for anything from the States. Regularly I see shipping between $15-$23, I just assumed these were sellers who would purposely jack up the price of shipping hoping to take advantage of unsuspecting bidders who may not be as experienced and is solely focused on the price of the item they are bidding on or Buy It Now.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Most of the shipping costs that I see on Ebay is pretty crazy. I have all but given up on ever bidding for anything from the States. Regularly I see shipping between $15-$23, I just assumed these were sellers who would purposely jack up the price of shipping hoping to take advantage of unsuspecting bidders who may not be as experienced and is solely focused on the price of the item they are bidding on or Buy It Now.

Most of the time it is eBay's global shipping program, and the sellers have no idea what's being charged.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2016-17-Uppe...edirect=mobile

I guess my real question would what's the point of selling all these cards for just 99 cents, if the shipping cost is more than the value of the product

is shipping 400 cards really 60 bucks?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

They probably wanted for than 99 cents for it, but that was an auction that only got one bid.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2016-17-Uppe...edirect=mobile

I guess my real question would what's the point of selling all these cards for just 99 cents, if the shipping cost is more than the value of the product

is shipping 400 cards really 60 bucks?

Depending on the shipping service used, whether it's going over the border, etc. yes.

It costs $12US for Americans to send us a bubble mailer with one hockey card in it. I can easily see with the extra weight, dimensions, etc., how it could add up in a real hurry.

Also, they could just be "padding" the shipping cost to ensure they aren't losing money and/or to discourage any international bidding.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I believe people sometimes offer a low starting bid, or BIN price, then add an insane shipping price to guarantee a certain amount of $$. Kind of like a built in profit. I almost bid on an auction that was around $3. Then I saw shipping was $25. Easy way to guarantee a $25 sale.

Not sure, also, if eBay takes a % of the shipping fee, or just the final sale price. If they do not charge % fees on shipping it could be a way for sellers to skirt the eBay fees and keep more $$ themselves.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I believe people sometimes offer a low starting bid, or BIN price, then add an insane shipping price to guarantee a certain amount of $$. Kind of like a built in profit. I almost bid on an auction that was around $3. Then I saw shipping was $25. Easy way to guarantee a $25 sale.

Not sure, also, if eBay takes a % of the shipping fee, or just the final sale price. If they do not charge % fees on shipping it could be a way for sellers to skirt the eBay fees and keep more $$ themselves.

They take the percentage off the shipping fee as well because people were doing just as you said to avoid seller's fees. Ebay also wanted to promote "free shipping" and people would be more willing to do so in this circumstance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast