Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Confirmed - 24-Team Playoffs Format Discussion Thread

Yesterday the plan for a 24-team playoffs was unveiled. The NHLPA is expected to vote on it today.

Full details about the proposal here: https://www.tsn.ca/a-closer-look-at-...osal-1.1477880

It's a very interesting format, and I like the notion of having "every game matter" via the round-robin format for the top four teams in each conference.

For those who haven't seen (or don't want to read the link above) here's the plan:

Round Robin - top four teams in each conference play each other to determine 1-4 rankings.

1st Round - Best of Five - 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, 8v9 in each conference

2nd Round - Best of 7 (the TSN projection assumes 1-4 finish as current)

So on and so forth.

Obviously a lot to be worked out for the logistics and making it all happen. It may be an exercise in futility if the NHL can't proceed to conclude the 2019-20 season due to the pandemic.

What do you guys think of the format?

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

As a Canadiens fan, I'm very torn on the whole thing.

Let's be honest - this team's performance this year doesn't merit them being in the playoffs. Top to bottom they haven't earned it. They have had two 8-game losing streaks. At various points, everybody has stunk and there are very limited numbers of bright spots and silver linings.

But, this is the potential hand we're being dealt.

A shot at Lafreniere has better odds than this team doing any damage in the post-season. How great would it be to have this kid in a Habs uniform? For the Habs to finally have a superstar forward, which they have lacked since Guy Lafleur retired (the first time).

And yet...one reads this article and one similar to it by Friedman. The notion of the Habs being there adds an element of chaos. Supposedly, teams don't love the idea of a well-rested Carey Price-led Habs team getting a shot, because we've seen what Carey can do in situations where he's rested and has a "big game" mentality on the line. Hello 2014 Olympics and 2016 World Cup.

It's all theoretical, of course, but it would be a unique playoffs for a unique time in our lives.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It would just be nice to have sports back, so as long as all parties are safe, then I'm happy with whatever. Legacy-wise, I won't view this year's championship as being comparable in significance to other cup wins. Hopefully that doesn't affect my enjoyment, but it's entirely possible that it will.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

I just can't get onboard with it. I can't think of a cup won this year as equivalent to any regular year.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I just can't get onboard with it. I can't think of a cup won this year as equivalent to any regular year.

This is where I'm at with this whole thing as well.

Like, I love hockey. I will watch it if it comes back on, but this year's Cup winner would be tainted in some way. While I get why they'd be coming back to play if it's safe, I feel at this point it would be better off cancelling the rest of the year and gearing up for the 2020-21 regular season.

Plus, similar to Richard's first point: I just can't seem to get on board with my Toronto Maple Leafs in the playoffs. They were brutal and were not playing like a playoff team before this whole virus went down, so I just can't see them being "worthy" of being included here.

I couldn't even begin to think how I would feel if the Maple Leafs WON the cup??!?!? Ending a Cup drought with a shortened year like this would just be wrong, in my opinion. I want to see them do it after a full 82-game season.

On paper we're good, but do we really "deserve" that playoff spot to begin with after the season we had and where it was going? I truly do not think so, sadly.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 05-22-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues

Not a big fan of the format. If they want to do a Tournament, throw all 31 teams in there and do it. With this long of a layoff the whole thing is a crap shoot. Too many teams come out of camp hot but don't have the endurance to compete past the mid way point of the season. There is a big * next to the season no matter what.

As much as I want to see hockey, I would rather the NHL scrap this season and do everything within it's power to make sure next season is on schedule.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

The NHLPA executive committee has voted in principle to approve the 24-yteam format. But there's still a long way to go to iron out the details.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

One should not compare this year to any other if there are 24 teams and one of those bottom teams goes on a run. It is the same thing as Manchester City whining about the season being comprimised if they continue so they should cancel the entire season. "It wouldn't be right". The only difference is Liverpool has never won the premier and City would look like fools for spending more than anyone and not winning. Liverpool is a shoe-in. Losers would like to complain otherwise.

I think because of the lockout in 2012-13 there is uncertainty in all of this. And why not? Would you like to look at the standings 50 years from now and wonder what the eff happened to 2012 and 2020? One was on the NHL the other was not. It could be viewed that way in the long run though so let's try to salvage what we can?

My 2 cents.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

This one made me laugh a little bit:

Last edited by RGM81; 05-24-2020 at 01:37 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

I don't think it's good for next season, the draft, etc. Call it and move on. Do a fun world cup type tournament

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast