Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds

2020 Bowman Baseball Hobby box price

I posted a thread not to long ago asking about what drives the cost of hobby boxes. Each year, they seem to be different, and other years, in the same ballpark.
    I was looking into the 2020 Bowman baseball hobby box over the past few months, and i notice they are starting at $300, and they go up in price from there. WHY is this box so high? What exactly is driving that cost. Is it a certain player(s) that could potentially be pulled from the box? Normally, I have seen Bowman, Topps Finest, and a couple others going for $130-$150 in years passed. For some reason, Diamond Kings Hobby boxes are around $80 this year. If I recall, I've seen them going for $100+ in years passed.

Can anyone explain to me this increase in hobby box prices, specifically Bowman?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Believe i heard that its the rookie crop in the box ie jasson dominguez as well as supply and demand. I can not bring myself to pay that price for a box when it equals in some cases a half a mortgage payment or a car payment. They are saying topps seriess twio is going crazy as well. Its a shame the only ones getting hurt by this are the common collectors as well as the kids that their parents due to these trying times can not afford a product like this. Just my two cents

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds

That's kinda my gripe as well. I can't bring myself to buy a box at $300+ and still not have a complete set of cards. I can't justify it. $150 hurts, but I could certainly do that a lot easier than $300+.
    Might just have to pass on this years sets, and see what next years hobby box prices look like. I'll definitely go after the Diamond Kings box like I do every year, but my annually Bowman purchase might have to stop.
    I haven't looked into the Topps boxes. I usually buy the factory set later in the year when that's released.

I'm with you, that price does not make it very enjoyable

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Flyers FIU Panthers
    See haveuseenmypants's Items on eBay Instagram:

I think part of it has to do with Bowman being the first product to come out in months. I know I was chomping at the bit to get something to rip other than Gypsy Queen, which was the last new release before Topps shut down for the pandemic. I think prices will return to being somewhat normal once more is available. Prices are already coming down on Jasson Dominguez on eBay now that people are getting their hands on his cards and selling them. On release day I saw some sell for around $150 for a base chrome. Now that there are a bunch available they're going for less than half of that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Supply and demand determines the prices and even though the presses continue to be cranked for Bowman the demand continues to skyrocket. This year Jasson Dominguez is the reason for this price explosion. He is on the Yankees and while I personally don't think he will amount to much in the majors all the prospectors are salivating at the thought of a Bryce Harper, Mike Trout or Ronald Acuna playing for the Yankees.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

My LCS had them for $250, but I couldn't justify it. The current market for cards is ridiculous right now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    See bigbenjobu's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders

Jasson Dominguez seems to be a big part of it. His Chrome is going for about $90-200. Autos over $2k. Puason cards and autos are fetching a pretty penny too