Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just a quick followup, I snagged some vintage cards recently. These came available as a friend's dad passed away a couple years ago. His mom did some cleaning out of various items, one was a couple tubs of cards. He called and asked "what are they worth". I went through them, took pics, looked up sales history, "book value", and gave him a rundown of what I would say were honest values. Found him a shop to sell his 80's sets, shop wasn't interested in the 70's sets so I bought them, along with these vintage beauties. Some are in really great shape.

1951 52 Parkhurst Reggie Sinclair.jpg1959 60 Parkhurst Jacques Plante.jpg1960 61 Parkhurst Jacques Plante.jpg1960 61 Topps Georges Vezina.jpg1962 63 Topps Jacques Plante.jpg

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Very nice snags. Love those Plante's.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just collect whatever looks good to me. If no new product looks good, I put more effort into working on my 01-02 sets, or finding those sweet insert deals of 90's players that I enjoyed when I got into following hockey.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

My 2 cents from an investment perspective……

Unless your vintage cards are superstars or above average rookie players that are psa 10,9 or possibly 8’s, they’re probably never going to significantly increase in value. All of those vintage players are retired or dead and if they were potential hall of famers (which may increase the value) they probably would have made it into HOF by now (obviously there are a few minor exceptions out there).

IMO the short printed cards today of star players (especially rookies) are just as valuable as vintage. Plus if they’re good young players with plenty of potential, the value will just keep going up.

Of course this is all dependent of what your definition of vintage is. Some people think that 90’s junk was is vintage where some people may think that anything before 1980 only qualifies as vintage. I guess it’s subjective.

I just saw the cards that were posted above. I would qualify those as super-vinatage. Those cards are always in valuable and in demand.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

This has provided a lot of good feedback. it gives an idea and thought of many are looking at with the hobby.

I have to agree that the price of new products is getting more and more, with a lot of that due to research and development and the limits of the new products being pushed to satisfy the craving of those who want such items.

There is some merit to the value of today's rookies increasing in value, especially if they are rising players. But, those who are not, are common players with common card values. I have seen YG's get blown out for a $1 each due to the fact that they are commons. However, I have seen common rookie cards - depending on condition - in a raw ungraded state - have an increase in their value due to the limit amount and condition of a card.

If we were to have a common YG graded and a common vintage rookie graded and they both came out the same grade, the common vintage would get more attention and have more value.

Cards in the 1990's are not vintage. They are mass over produced cards, that depending on the manufacture, have little value.

1980's to me is the end of the vintage year period - 1988-89, as mass production came in 1989-90.

I would agree that the period of vintage is subjective and could be classified as starting 1988 and back or it could be classified as 1979 and back.

As I am typing more and more, and as much as I would like to do both current and vintage, I am going to focus more on the vintage side of things. Not sure what I will be doing with the modern day cards I have, but for now will keep them.

As more shows start to open up, as life comes back to normal, the better chance I will have to focus on the vintage side of the hobby..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Notre Dame Fighting Irish San Francisco Giants
    COMC Cards For Sale

On topic but not...please excuse my question if its dumb, but new product...why is it literally the same price everywhere? Do the card companies dictate prices an margins?
    always looking for
    John Gibson
    jamie drysdale
    Devon levi
    Yarasov askarov

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

On topic but not...please excuse my question if its dumb, but new product...why is it literally the same price everywhere? Do the card companies dictate prices an margins?

There are only so many distributors in the market that sell to the shops. So that sets a minimum price point, and from there it's a race to the bottom if shops with enough competition compete on price. It's better for the shops if they all have a similar price point. My main LCS is usually a couple bucks more expensive, but I like his service better and am willing to pay a little more to support a smaller shop. The other shop close to me has 3 shops and is a partial sub-distributor to some of the other shops in the area who don't want to buy full cases.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

good luck with your vintage card collection. Hopefully you'll get off to better start than this guy. (click link below)

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeycards/comments/grpmpx/usps_crushing_dreams_this_was_sent_to_the_bbce/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

$6000 bucks.................poof
    Last edited by cjb; 05-29-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

good luck with your vintage card collection. Hopefully you'll get off to better start than this guy. (click link below)

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeycards/comments/grpmpx/usps_crushing_dreams_this_was_sent_to_the_bbce/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

$6000 bucks.................poof

That hurt to see.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Notre Dame Fighting Irish San Francisco Giants
    COMC Cards For Sale

There are only so many distributors in the market that sell to the shops. So that sets a minimum price point, and from there it's a race to the bottom if shops with enough competition compete on price. It's better for the shops if they all have a similar price point. My main LCS is usually a couple bucks more expensive, but I like his service better and am willing to pay a little more to support a smaller shop. The other shop close to me has 3 shops and is a partial sub-distributor to some of the other shops in the area who don't want to buy full cases.

I figured this but then wondered, why font amazon or walmart undercut everyone with there purchasing power?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast