Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

Debating on collecting new products or vintage.

Over the past few years, I have been debating to continue collecting new products that come out - Upper Deck Regular Issue and OPC or to just collect Vintage OPC. The Vintage side has been pulling me more to it, as I have been buying lots and upgrading my own sets and then selling/trading the rest of to those who are trying to finish sets or who collect certain teams or positions, etc.

I have been collecting since I have been 6 years old, which is now going into its 42 year, as I am now 48. I have also liked the vintage as it connects me to a time when hockey was hockey. It was the only thing on TV - as I only had 3 channels to watch when I was younger. One was 2 & 7 out of Calgary, which had Ed Whalen on doing the play by play for the Flames. The other was CBC, which had the Saturday games. I always had to watch Coaches Corner with Don Cherry. The 2 brought had a great impact to me as a viewed and it provided a small town kid, the ability to watch the players he collected. Teams always stayed together. There was trades, but there was not the player movement like we see today. You always saw great games, with great players and there was always the fights as well. Unlike today, that has games on everyday and the player movement makes it harder for me to follow.

I lost interest in watching hockey after the lock out in 1994-95. I would only really watch it, if I was in some sort of players draft or playoff draft.

Over time, I have watched less and less hockey, but still collect it to today, as it is part of my DNA. Each year, I buy my 3 boxes of Upper Deck Series 1 and 3 boxes of OPC. Then I trade to put the set of each together along with the OP Retro. Then, when series 2 comes around, I buy 3 more boxes and put that together and also put the OPC Update and OPC Retro Update together. Then when SPA comes out, I buy the complete set of that to finish of the Upper Deck Update.

I have been able to add, some great cards to my collection over the years. I am surprised, when I find that a YG a few years ago, was worth maybe $10 at the time, is now $60-$80-$100 now as that player has been able to become a star player in the league. As my goal is to put the set together and then forget about it.

As a set collector, I do many trades on many forums and also use eBay to finish off sets, if I need to.

I live in a community that does not have a card shop, so trading has become part of my DNA as well. When I do get to go to larger centers, I find that I stop at the card shop. My favorite is Wayne's in Edmonton. I have also been treated nicely and if I need something, I can always send them a list and then pick up the cards when I am in Edmonton.

I have started to go to the show in Sherwood Park, as to me, it is like going to 100 mini card shops. The one thing I always look for is the vintage as it is difficult to find the condition I am looking for on line and I want to look at what I am buying to make sure it is what I want. Some times I am successful and other times not so much. I was disappointed, like many of you, when the show was cancelled in April of 2020. To me it was like my Super Bowl. Plus, I get to see my daughter, who I don't get to see much, due to her work.

Part of me says OPC is what you grew up with, continue with collecting the OPC each year and also focus on the Vintage. Sell of the 30 years of Upper Deck and buying the cards and put the sets together from past years.

I am trying to work on the 1970's, but thus far I have good starts on many sets, but now need to finish those off.

I also like to continue to upgrade my vintage sets as well. Which over time has cost me extra funds. For some sets, I have likely bought the set 3 times over due to me always upgrading them.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Maybe this is the self isolation talking or maybe it is me just trying to find a reason to focus on what gives me more joy.

I have likely, from typing this, answered my own question. But, I would like to know if any of you have or do experience what I am debating on?

Thank you.

Tony

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey Tony. Hitting close to home! I grew up outside Edmonton, live in Calgary. I collected UD Ser 1/2 complete sets up until about 10 years ago. Started getting away from modern sets. Focus went to vintage, finished the 70s and 80s OPC which are some of my favorites. Still work on upgrading the 70s sets once in a while but hard to come across very nice condition cards. Main focus is the Peter Forsberg PC, and picking up the odd box or new stuff now and then, but it's rare I do anymore. Always hope for the killer break, but most times it is too much common low value stuff, so I can spend the same money on PC cards. Spending is way down as well, just a sign of the times, and getting more strict with the budget.

Watching hockey, still love it, games, hi-lites, replays. Loving some of the old games on TV now, 70s, 80s, 90s - great to watch the old hockey. Miss Don Cherry dearly, and remember as well as a kid Saturday Night Hockey Night in Canada was like a religion. Oh the good old days!

I always enjoy pulling out an old 70s/80s set and going back through some nostalgia. Some crazy Frankenstein cards, the old teams and logos, admire something as simple as an unmarked checklist!

Not sure this helps, but card collecting and watching hockey are also in the DNA.

Take care.

Toby.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I started developing a taste for vintage lately too. I was too young to collect them when they were brand new, it's some kind of novelty for me. I enjoy buying rookies of decent players for a few bucks.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content
    Base cards available: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I moved this thread to the main Hockey section to generate more discussion. Nice topic!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See johnwaynehankwilliams's Items on eBay

Tony:

I was around when OPC began its second run (1968 - 69). I bought packs of OPC (10 cents with a stick of bubble gum). I did not really collect sets. I kept what cards I bought. The only cards I did not really keep were Montreal Canadiens. I used these as clickers in my Banana seat bike. I joined the navy in 82 and left home. My parents were doing renovations on the home and they found a shoe box of OPC in the attic. My Mom asked me at the time if I wanted them. Naturally I said no. She threw them out. Several years into my career I visited my Nephew. He had gone to the corner store and bought a couple packs of Score (their first year). I helped him open the packs and was once again hooked. From that day on I began my promise to myself to complete all the old OC card sets. I finished all the base sets for OPC 1968 thru today. I was wary of the UD OPC but decided to try these as well. I find that the base sets from UD OPC do not have the appeal, for me, that the original OPC sets did and do. I do enjoy the Retro product however.

From all this I can only tell you one thing. If I was you I would complete as many old OPC sets as I could get my hands on.

Cheers and Good luck.

PS - I also started collecting Topps from 1968 thru 1973 - 74. Still need a couple high enders for these sets.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Notre Dame Fighting Irish San Francisco Giants
    COMC Cards For Sale

Price point is pushing me to vintage. New new boxes are so expensive I just try to get the few cards I want, not sets. I'd rather spend x ammount on a h.o.f. player over this season's young guns but that's just me, to each there own
    Looking for the sandlot cards,
    And goalies, I collect goalies

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

TLDR: Find what brings you joy and keep going with that.

It's hard personally to answer your question for me as I don't have any connection to vintage players personally, so it's less exciting for me to collect those cards. I also am not a set or team collector, I am a college hockey team collector focused on certain players no matter where they play in the NHL. So I have a more unusual PC, but it works for me, and that is the key that I always tell new collectors (which you clearly aren't). It's fun to get others opinions on occasion, but you are the only one who can answer your original question.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Great talk about Modern & Vintage hockey cards.

I love modern, I really do. However, I don't know if it's the Pandemic time or what, but I've slowly started coming around to vintage and exploring the history of our game and hockey cards (more specifically, the goalies) and find myself itching to pickup some truly vintage pieces for my collection.

I'll show it off when it arrives, but I actually have a vintage goalie card currently incoming. It's the first time I've purposefully bought a vintage card for my collection and I'm really digging it. Could be the start of something new for me?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

vintage, any sport.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast