Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

@jplcom

WOW!!! That is one of the best looking sets I have seen!!!!!!!! Man, if I find ANY 1999 Finest Refractors you re missing, I'll know where to go!!!!

@krunchtyme thanks! Though it's gonna be hard to find any I'm missing :). I've recently surpassed collecting 90% of the master set, including promotional cards. You can check out my progress here. For all of my other nonsense.

SCF Rewards
    Country

1. Which grader do you prefer and why?

For hockey, BGS, for baseball, PSA. I am also very fond of BCCG due to the nice case and low price. Also growing on SGC as well. I just want a slabbed card that presents well.

2. What do you collect?

St Louis Cardinals. Assorted other players like Kovalchuk, Hasek, Bure. Star players of NHL/MLB. Kurt Warner.

3. How often do you send cards in to be graded?

I have never submitted a card. I have a few that I want to send in, but have not gotten around to it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

I am equally open to PSA and BGS/BVG. I will trade for or buy SGC as well, and on some occasions I am okay with GAI

2. What do you collect?

For graded cards I collect two things:

Vintage (Pre-1980) in all sports
    True RC's (No parallels or inserts) in all sports

The only time I have ever had cards graded they had already been pre-graded and I had them slabbed at a show
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I'm a BGS guy all the way. Their cases are much sturdier than PSA. PSA cases are too easy to break and easy to manipulate. I also don't like that PSA places the card in the case as it is; BGS keeps it in the penny sleeve before encasing it. It's another tiny level of protection I like. I collect graded cards because I hate handling my cards. I have full use of only one arm and sometimes I drop cards and damage them. Not fun.

I want to comment on some of the complaints others have stated about BGS. Yes, they have BCCG but who cares?? If you don't like BCCG, you don't have to get it. It's not something they are forcing you to get. I like that they have a vintage grading criteria myself, and it really does not matter to me whether subgrades are showing or not. To me, it's not a big deal. If anything, it drives me nuts when the subgrades are put on the front display plate. If you are going to display those, put them on the back! I like a clean front display plate.

2. What do you collect?

I am purely a collector of hockey rookie cards. I have rookie cards of 1,332 NHL players, 10 more of players who never played in the NHL (Vladislav Tretiak and Hayley Wickenheiser are examples) and 10 more of players who had rookie cards with their NHL team and some with their national team (Ryan Smyth is an example. He has some cards picturing him with the Edmonton Oilers and some with Canada at the world juniors). At the moment, 203 (or 15%) of the cards in my collection are BGS 9.5 rookies. If anyone would like to see my collection, see it here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150712...57683546543043

I never send cards in myself. I usually acquire them already graded.
    Last edited by Leafsman; 05-29-2020 at 01:19 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@Leafsman

I love the Whalers PC! I lived in Connecticut growing up and used to go to New England Whaler's games. Gordie Howe's wife was my Sunday School teacher in Glastonbury, CT, although I don't remember her at all. My sister's first husband was the son of one of the Whaler coaches as well, so we got to spend alot of time at the games. Funny, now I live in North Carolina and I have the Carolina Hurricanes (former Whalers).

As for the graded cards, I agree..the subs should be on the back for all of the graders. BCCG and BVG seem to have changed the standards, I own some don't get me wrong, it seemed to cheapen the actual Beckett grading system.

Interesting that most of us do not send cards in for grading. Seems its the big companies that send them in to get massive grading discounts. I wonder if SCF could could get a deal from them? It would be interesting....

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

@Leafsman

I love the Whalers PC! I lived in Connecticut growing up and used to go to New England Whaler's games. Gordie Howe's wife was my Sunday School teacher in Glastonbury, CT, although I don't remember her at all. My sister's first husband was the son of one of the Whaler coaches as well, so we got to spend alot of time at the games. Funny, now I live in North Carolina and I have the Carolina Hurricanes (former Whalers).

As for the graded cards, I agree..the subs should be on the back for all of the graders. BCCG and BVG seem to have changed the standards, I own some don't get me wrong, it seemed to cheapen the actual Beckett grading system.

Interesting that most of us do not send cards in for grading. Seems its the big companies that send them in to get massive grading discounts. I wonder if SCF could could get a deal from them? It would be interesting....

@krunchtyme

BVG actually IS a different standard. The standards should be different for vintage. They should be tougher.

BGS standards were lowered to allow more opportunities for BGS 10 cards

I have no idea why BCCG exists. That seems to be for lower-end collectors. I don't collect BCCG so it does not bother me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Have a bunch of graded cards. My collection pales in comparison with others but that's a rabbit hole no one should go down haha.

PSA is my favorite grading company mainly because of their site (PSA Registry, Pop report, ARP, etc.) and the market for their items have a higher price and demand.

2. What do you collect?
    My top PSA project is my Sittler PSA Registry set. My Sittler Master Set is #1 All Time on the Registry. I also collect grade rookies of players who have played for the Leafs and 1980s O-Pee-Chee sets. Just picked up some really nice Gretzky PSA 9's last night for my 80s sets!

On average not very often, every couple years.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

I prefer BGS for my cards but we send in a bi weekly submission to SGC for cards to sell

I collect basketball prizm rookies and older superstar cards from flashy sets, Chrome, Metal, Finest, etc.

We send in bi weekly for SGC and i send in periodically to BGS. We recently switched from bulk subs to PSA due to the wait time. We are currently on business day 79 for our latest submission and a lot of our guys are getting upset by it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@tutall

Who do you submit for? It doesn't seem profitable, or am I missing something? Does PSA cut a deal if you can do a certain amount of business. I hate to ask so many questions and feel free not to answer or PM me directly. I collect mainly PSA for my personal collection and am interested in sending in submissions and seeing how it plays out. Also thinking of posting it here for members, but that seems to be a super hard endeavor the more I look at it.

Thanks Rich

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

@tutall

Who do you submit for? It doesn't seem profitable, or am I missing something? Does PSA cut a deal if you can do a certain amount of business. I hate to ask so many questions and feel free not to answer or PM me directly. I collect mainly PSA for my personal collection and am interested in sending in submissions and seeing how it plays out. Also thinking of posting it here for members, but that seems to be a super hard endeavor the more I look at it.

Thanks Rich

We just starting sending to SGC as they have shorter turn around times. The value isnt there for the long term collector but we submit a lot for resale. We also submit for other through SGC an we do get a discount if we submit over 100 cards. What we have found is the process is just intimidating for some and the shipping cost back and forth makes it not worth it for some to grade cards. We can split that shipping/insurance fee between 10-12 people and make it reasonable. Up until recently we were sending to PSA monthly but when they post grading times of over 100 days it makes it tough to keep everything in line and clients were starting to get upset hence the change. If you have any questions feel free to post away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast