Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Graded Cards (attempt to locate who collects them)

If you collect any graded cards please respond to thread in the link

https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...2#post14902992

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Wizards NULL NULL

Graded Cards (attempt to locate who collects them)

If you collect any graded cards please respond to thread in the link

https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...2#post14902992

1. Yes, I prefer SGC and GMA. Pleasant first hand experience with these two . I have trust issues with the “ big two”
    2. Mostly 80’s + 90’s hockey
    3. I send an order to GMA every time I get 12 cards I want graded,about once every 6 weeks or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

I second what 30Ranfordfan said on the linked thread (which based on the following I didn't want to go down a rabbit hole on that info seeking thread). I don't collect graded cards. I have one in my collection and at some point I will crack it. The only reason I bought it was the price of the card being cheaper than raw versions. It's a 9.5 Ice Autograph on acetate and even though the card looks clean to me (can't tell if the scratches are on the holder or card) it's surface grade of 8.5 brings the other 3 10's down to a 9.5. For me, grading is still a subjective opinion of another person, and that person can have a very different opinion of what is a 9.5 or 10 of very similar cards on different days. Also, the building case of altered cards being regraded to 10's really put me off the concept of grading.

I don't truly fault anyone who wants to preserve the cards, but I do think the graded card craze seems to have caused some not insubstantial issues. For instance, the number of ebay/facebook (I haven't seen as many complaints on SCF) negative feedback posts of people who buy a raw card, and try to return it because in their opinion it won't grade as a 9.5 or 10. Combined with people no longer being excited to pull a card, but instead they post something along the lines of "Just hit this, is it worth grading?!"

All this being said, Graded Cards could be broken out as a subset between Vintage and New (2000 and newer?)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@sparty07

Good Points. I have gone crazy with graded cards (as I am closing in on 900 at the moment) but I also see the ridiculous aspect of them as well. Personally, I think for vintage they are a really good thing. I had a 1954 Jackie Robinson that I sent into PSA and it was returned altered. So I asked them where the alteration was and they were able to tell me and bam!, they were right. On closer, much closer inspection it was altered. Flip side, I pulled a 1978 Topps Cliff Harris card direct from a Rak Pak into a holder and it failed the minimum size requirement? Really?

As for buying cards and returning them, if they were not as described, I'm ok with it, but because it wouldn't be a 9 or 10, then buyer beware. I still love pulling cards, but with the current saturation of the market sets have become super hard to build, even collecting a player is a full time job. Look at the numbers. Michael Gallop has almost as many cards in two years as Michael Irvin had during his entire playing career. No way to grade all of that mess.

I haven't cracked a graded card and don't think I will, but again, I can see why someone would.

Thanks for the response.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack

@sparty07

Good Points. I have gone crazy with graded cards (as I am closing in on 900 at the moment) but I also see the ridiculous aspect of them as well. Personally, I think for vintage they are a really good thing. I had a 1954 Jackie Robinson that I sent into PSA and it was returned altered. So I asked them where the alteration was and they were able to tell me and bam!, they were right. On closer, much closer inspection it was altered. Flip side, I pulled a 1978 Topps Cliff Harris card direct from a Rak Pak into a holder and it failed the minimum size requirement? Really?

As for buying cards and returning them, if they were not as described, I'm ok with it, but because it wouldn't be a 9 or 10, then buyer beware. I still love pulling cards, but with the current saturation of the market sets have become super hard to build, even collecting a player is a full time job. Look at the numbers. Michael Gallop has almost as many cards in two years as Michael Irvin had during his entire playing career. No way to grade all of that mess.

I haven't cracked a graded card and don't think I will, but again, I can see why someone would.

Thanks for the response.

Only reason I plan to crack this one is purely aesthetic/storage. It doesn't fit in the box with my other PC cards (I have 3 cards like that but 2 are booklets that look nice being opened.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I understand grading vintage and common cards like Young Guns. Grading them adds perceived scarcity since they're now in a bucket of only XXXX# of cards that have received that grade.
    What I do not understand is getting any serial numbered, patch, or otherwise already limited card, graded. It doesn't make any sense. The card is already of a very limited run, who the F cares whether or not someone says it's a 8 or 8.5 out of 10? It makes no difference, and in my opinion, reduces the value.
    I see Cup patches #'d/10 graded and it absolutely blows my mind - why would you do that? I've even seen 1of1's graded... stupid.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@Maggot So, you don't agree with grading cards? LOL Just kidding, Sometimes I feel the same way and then of course, sometimes I fall back into the trap.

I understand your points. I think it is more about bragging rights than anything? Not sure if I would grade a 1 of 1, but I do have a PSA 10 autographed rookie card of Terrence Williams is s/n 4 of 5. Now I didn't grade it and I didn't pay a huge price so I'm good with it. I agree that it is mainly a Vintage ting, but of course, I have almost 900 graded cards now and they aren't all vintage.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I understand grading vintage and common cards like Young Guns. Grading them adds perceived scarcity since they're now in a bucket of only XXXX# of cards that have received that grade.
    What I do not understand is getting any serial numbered, patch, or otherwise already limited card, graded. It doesn't make any sense. The card is already of a very limited run, who the F cares whether or not someone says it's a 8 or 8.5 out of 10? It makes no difference, and in my opinion, reduces the value.
    I see Cup patches #'d/10 graded and it absolutely blows my mind - why would you do that? I've even seen 1of1's graded... stupid.

I tend to agree with the principle of what you are saying. I think the point of grading is this: To separate an exceptionally good condition copy out of a mass production pool of the same cards. I also don't understand grading low S/N cards but at the same time I kind of get it... I would rather the BGS 9.5 HG YG /10 of a PC player instead of a raw NM copy with a fuzzy corner. I would never submit one myself and wouldn't look for one if I needed it for my PC but I get it. JT

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

I am going to take the plunge again and renew my PSA grading membership. I look at some collections and people are happy with their cards and that is all that matters. Sometimes I look at a PSA 8 and I'm like..that card sucks...But at the end of the day, I think it is cool to compete for the best set(s). I don't have the money of these other guys, but I still like knowing I have some cool stuff, that at this point, no one else has.