Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Richard, I sent a tweet to Upper Deck asking if inscribed FWAs are considered rookie cards. I'll respond with their answer

Go for it. It's absurd to me that Beckett breaks them out like this:

Card
    SER # Print Run
    2018-19 SP Authentic #149 Anthony Cirelli FW AU/949* RC
    999 949
    2018-19 SP Authentic Future Watch Inscriptions #149 Anthony Cirelli/50*
    999 50
    Almost nobody who hits 35/999 is going to think "oh darn" I have to get a higher numbered one to have the "true RC"
    Last edited by RGM81; 05-31-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Did you like the SP retail set last year? Rookies /1199, clean design, more affordable price. The autos and jerseys were harder hits in these. Blue parallels and inserts in almost every pack to give some value. I broke one box and it was fun :)

I don't collect much these days. I made two trades in the last three months. Buying boxes is not feasible for me, as I live on a fixed income and I live 3 hours from my "local" card store.

I absolutely despise parallels with a passion because collectors often try to pass those off as true rookies when they are not. That's part of my gripe with inscribed FWA cards; if 50 of the 999 are inscribed, that's a set within a set. You have added something extra to the FWA to make it different. That means it's a subset, not a true rookie card. I'm hoping Upper Deck responds to my question next week.

I just want a plain mid-range set that isn't geared around the almighty dollar.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Go for it. It's absurd to me that Beckett breaks them out like this:

Card
    SER # Print Run
    2018-19 SP Authentic #149 Anthony Cirelli FW AU/949* RC
    999 949
    2018-19 SP Authentic Future Watch Inscriptions #149 Anthony Cirelli/50*
    999 50
    Almost nobody who hits 35/999 is going to think "oh darn" I have to get a higher numbered one to have the "true RC"

This is why I asked Upper Deck about this.

One would think that Beckett gets their information directly from Upper Deck, and that's why it's listed as such.

Like my above post says, if you add something different to the FWA, you have changed the card. Future Watch Inscribed should be its own set. That's my point. You can't call it an RC if you have changed the card

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is why I asked Upper Deck about this.

One would think that Beckett gets their information directly from Upper Deck, and that's why it's listed as such.

Like my above post says, if you add something different to the FWA, you have changed the card. Future Watch Inscribed should be its own set. That's my point. You can't call it an RC if you have changed the card

According to the rules, wouldn't the first 50 be the true RC, because they come before the other 949?

Or maybe the true RC designation is kind of pointless?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

According to the rules, wouldn't the first 50 be the true RC, because they come before the other 949?

Or maybe the true RC designation is kind of pointless?

The first 50 aren't inscribed. If they were, the inscribed would range from 001/999 to 050/999. Numbers 051/999 to 999/999 would not be. This isn't the case. Inscribed FWA happen anywhere within the 999 range, at least in the case of the example I am about to provide:

That may have changed in subsequent years, but they aren't sequentially numbered here.

I still maintain that adding an inscription changes the card. I contend they are parallels within the Future Watch Auto set. Simply put, there are now Future Watch Autos and Future Watch Auto Inscriptions. Two separate sets. Bugs me to no end.

If they wanted to have inscriptions, they should have left the Future Watch Autos as they are and produced the inscriptions separately. In my mind, there are now only 949 Future Watch Autos. End of story. I hope to get an answer this week.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The first 50 aren't inscribed. If they were, the inscribed would range from 001/999 to 050/999. Numbers 051/999 to 999/999 would not be. This isn't the case. Inscribed FWA happen anywhere within the 999 range, at least in the case of the example I am about to provide:

That may have changed in subsequent years, but they aren't sequentially numbered here.

I still maintain that adding an inscription changes the card. I contend they are parallels within the Future Watch Auto set. Simply put, there are now Future Watch Autos and Future Watch Auto Inscriptions. Two separate sets. Bugs me to no end.

If they wanted to have inscriptions, they should have left the Future Watch Autos as they are and produced the inscriptions separately. In my mind, there are now only 949 Future Watch Autos. End of story. I hope to get an answer this week.

The players are instructed to sign the first 50 with their NHL debut date. However, not all players followed this rule. But most Inscribed copies are within the first 50 copies of the card.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm not surprised that Bertuzzi did his wrong - not the smartest family in hockey history. LOL

That said, then, what about the St. Louis Blues player that added little inscriptions to a bunch of his FWA randomly? I've got a pic saved in my phone somewhere and will upload once I find it, but he just randomly added notes to his. What happens in that scenario?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I'm not surprised that Bertuzzi did his wrong - not the smartest family in hockey history. LOL

That said, then, what about the St. Louis Blues player that added little inscriptions to a bunch of his FWA randomly? I've got a pic saved in my phone somewhere and will upload once I find it, but he just randomly added notes to his. What happens in that scenario?

These cards are hilarious and they sold for big money! I hope they all ended up in a Schmaltz collectors collection so they can be enjoyed forever. I wish more players did this type of stuff, much to the dismay of UD I'm sure haha. Still, very awesome cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Obviously each one should be it's own set as they are parallels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast