Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: Best pitcher to never win a Cy Young

Voters
18. This poll is closed
  • Sutton

0 0%
  • Sale

0 0%
  • Mussina

1 5.56%
  • Ryan

17 94.44%
  • Schilling

0 0%

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Best Pitcher to never win a CyYoung

I know there are more but these were the top 5 during my discussion with some friends
    Last edited by camsue; 05-31-2020 at 12:06 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Dallas Cowboys Texas Rangers Oklahoma City Thunder
    See gmessick3's Items on eBay

My #1 PC player Nolan Ryan

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (554)
    Country
    See springbros1305's Items on eBay

Don Sutton is a very close second and you could argue him for #1. He was more consistent than Ryan but probably less spectacular and less dominant since he didn't strike out guys like Ryan. And he didn't make you list, but Blyleven definitely has a case.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

How about Cy Young himself ? The most wins in MLB history. Yes, I know he was the one they named the honor too. Also, how about Walter "Big Train" Johnson? He's the second in total wins. But, yes, they didn't have the Cy Young award then. Also, no win in the time of Christy Mathewson. Such awards should have been done in their times.

In regard to the "Cy Young Award" times, for a "non-award" winner, how about Jim Palmer of the Orioles ? A great overall W-L record, and many really nice season records.

From your list, I'd say it's a shame Mike Mussina, along with Nolan Ryan, never won a 'Cy Young".

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (554)
    Country
    See springbros1305's Items on eBay

How about Cy Young himself ? The most wins in MLB history. Yes, I know he was the one they named the honor too. Also, how about Walter "Big Train" Johnson? He's the second in total wins. But, yes, they didn't have the Cy Young award then. Also, no win in the time of Christy Mathewson. Such awards should have been done in their times.

In regard to the "Cy Young Award" times, for a "non-award" winner, how about Jim Palmer of the Orioles ? A great overall W-L record, and many really nice season records.

From your list, I'd say it's a shame Mike Mussina, along with Nolan Ryan, never won a 'Cy Young".

Palmer won the Cy Young 3 times.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

I understand there was many more than listed these were just the 5 that came up in our discussion we had while fishing a few days ago

SCF Rewards
    Country

Out of that list I'd have to go with Nolan Ryan. He's easily better than the other 4.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Hard to believe that Ryan never won one! That’s crazy , arguably one of the best ever.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Juan Marichal

The Cy Young award came about in 1956. There was only a ML Cy Young Award given out until 1966 and than given out to NL and AL leagues starting in 1967. Marichal won 21 or more games from 63-66. Unfortunately for him Koufax was a stud during those years. He went 25-8 in 1963 and 25-6 in 1966 and couldn't win the award. He went 26-9 in 1968 after they were awarded to different leagues and still couldn't win it. Bob Gibson had that just over 1 ERA that year. Marichal had some remarkable years and won 20+ games in 6 seasons. It just takes one season to win a Cy Young and he is the most shocking to me.
    Last edited by markw2856; 06-01-2020 at 11:46 AM.