Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

Mike Singletary Everything & More

So, I am still new to this great forum but I am sure many long time regulars are already sick of reading about the new guy going on and on about Mike Singletary. Those that are not yet, give it time, because you will be, but until then I hope you enjoy this post and my story about why 99% of all my card collecting and general sports collection revolves around one former player that I grew up collecting and watching play. I’ll share and show my collection eventually if you keep reading (or skip ahead, I won’t fault you)

How it started:

I still remember my first football card. My dad one day got home from work and brought me a complete boxed set of 1989 Topps Football that if I remember correctly was given to him by a co worker so he could give it to me. That started it all card wise. I was born in Chicago but moved to Texas at age six but was always a die hard Bears fan. Had a grandmother that lived with us and if it had some form of a ball or roundish object involved she was a fan and loved her sports and of course Chicago was her city and loved the Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls and her beloved Cubbies. Still have lots of family in Chi Town and my mom moved back after the divorce and I spent my summers and Christmas breaks with her in Chicago. Still try and get up there as often as possible. Now days usually plan our trips around football season so we can go to a game.

Why Singletary:

My favorite Bear was of course Mike Singletary. Not only was he an amazing player but off the field you couldn’t ask for a better sports icon role model for a kid. I remember reading about him in my Boys Life magazine. Other stories about his child hood and loosing two brothers and how everyone always said he was too shoot to ever do anything in football and he over came that big time. From being the only two time Davey O’Brian winner (before it became a QB only award) 2x All American. Then in the NFL he had 10 Pro Bowls, 2x NFL DPOY, 3x NFC POY, 9x All Pro, Super Bowl XX Champ, Man Of The Year (now called Walter Payton MOY) and Hall Of Fame. Quite a list of accomplishments and I left some off.

Another personal note: we (me and my dad) loved defense! Of course we loved Walter Payton (one of my twin boys is named Walter the other Halas after George Halas) but we where all about the slobber knocken graboski D and Singletary was the intense leader.

The Cards:

Growing up we didn’t have much money to spend on cards. The first set we built from packs was the 1991 Pacific. Those packs where much cheaper than the Upper Deck. Like 25 cents a pack vs what was it a dollar or two for UD? I always got excited about pulling a Bears card and ten times more excited when it was a Singletary.

Eventually I had maybe about 10 different Singletary cards and some of them where a little older cards we picked up at the local card shop. I had decided I wanted every Mike Singletary card ever made. When I said this I figured there couldn’t be more than 20 to 25. In the early 1990’s I was kinda close as far as regular issue cards went but later in life I learned I was way off. If you go by the PSA Set Registry Master List which only includes cards during his “playing years” 1981-1992 there are 132 cards made that they use for this set. I’ll get into current actual numbers later.

That’s a long story as short as I could make it still tell the whole story. Just one pic for now. It’s the almost entire card collection. I’ll break it down. The binder is 1983 to 2004 and some 2005. This is when I quit collecting until last fall. Of course some where added to the binder recently. The boxes on the left half are ‘05-‘19. The two boxes on the right are my PSA graded cards and cards I need to examine very carefully and pick out which ones will eventually get sent to PSA to finish out the registry.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Aghh I don’t know why I have problems posting pictures. I think it’s cause I was here through google. Now I’m in safari. But I’m sure my pics will be upside down and side ways. Yep and not in the order I wanted them.

These above are the graded cards

this above is the cards as a whole. Sorry their upside down

Above 2017, 2018 and one box of just 2019 (this one is packed tight and need to figure something else out)

Above is the box of cards I need to look over to figure out which ones need to be sent to PSA for the registry. All duplicates of 1983-‘92 cards.

below is the boxes with 2005-2016
    Last edited by FireRob; 06-02-2020 at 02:02 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As this goes on I’ll post pics of some of my favorites and as I get new mail days.

I have a check list that is 45 pages long with 38 to 56 cards listed on each page.

depending on how you crunch the numbers. (As of June 2, 2020)

Beckett check list has a current total number of items listed at

if you subtract the 1/1’s

I forget where this number came from exactly but what Beckett list as their official checklist number minus 1/1’s there are currently.

My numbers that I currently have are.

932 total different cards

246 out of 712 Autograph cards

44 or 38 One Of Ones out of 451 (this number drives me nuts because of all the printing plates and I don’t really like to collect printing plates).

my 1/1 count has two numbers because there are 6 that may or may not count because they are kinda odd balls, as in either old printing plates that are not on the official check list or a National Convention Diamond Stamped card that was never issued in packs type thing. Let’s just say these six are odd man out and I don’t really think they should count for what ever reason

I have never tried to count my memorabilia or serial numbered cards since that’s what’s mostly made since he retired.

Last edited by FireRob; 06-02-2020 at 02:28 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@FireRob

I love the PSA Collection and that 1983 Topps RC is incredible!!!! I have a bunch of raw that look good, but not that good! If you are ever going to find anything, this should be the place!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Whoa!!!! HUGE COLLECTION man! Thanks for giving the nice background story to your collecting as well. You gotta post them individually if/when you can.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Thanks for the share and great background story what a great collection

SCF Rewards
    Country

@FireRob

I love the PSA Collection and that 1983 Topps RC is incredible!!!! I have a bunch of raw that look good, but not that good!

Thank you, I only recently got that ‘83 gem mint 10. I’ve had a 9 for about 15 years or so. I have been gathering up lots of raw cards and have a couple that might grade high if I ever sent them in. Not so concerned about it now that I have a10.

Whoa!!!! HUGE COLLECTION man! Thanks for giving the nice background story to your collecting as well. You gotta post them individually if/when you can.

thank you sir. Wooo I don’t know about posting pics of every single one. But I will definitely share some of my favorites and include a story to go with some of them. I’ll also post pictures as I get new ones.
    @camsue thank you as well. Appreciate you taking the time to read it all.
    Last edited by FireRob; 06-02-2020 at 10:25 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today’s mail. I collect just about anything and everything Singletary. Even a 1989 pocket schedule with his picture is a got to have for me.

The card is
    2005 Donruss Classics Past & Present with Urlacher #ed 32/50.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So this is the 1989 Topps that started it all for me. Not the actual card. That one is beat to hell and has a thumb tac hole because I hung it on the wall over my bed. Maybe one day I’ll dig it out and show it off

The other was a sticker that was on my list and I searched for a long time to find and the only one I have found (the guy had two!!). Not thrilled it was graded but oh well.

1988 Frito Lay Stickers

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today’s additions.

2007 Upper Deck with a stupid manufactured patch numbered to 5. I have another like it numbered to 75

Advertisement to join Athletes In Action congratulating Singletary on the Bart Star Award. I think it came out of the Super Bowl 26 game program.

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast