Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips on profiting?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I do not sell hockey cards for profit but here is something different just through skimming this thread for 2 minutes......

What is your business model? Are you trying to sell just online casually?

The one key thing I can tell you for hockey cards in the US is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Look at where the majority of the posts in this thread have come from, eh? Selling hockey cards in the US is a bit more difficult than selling in Canada. If only selling online than you have more room to work. If looking to sell at a shop, show, etc you will need more areas of cards. Also know Matthews, McDavid, etc have a different popularity in the US compared to Canada and other parts of the world. I could recognize Michael Jordan a mile away. Can the same be said for the hockey cards you would be selling?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Let me give you some advice on how you can make some money by the end of next year.

Seattle's coming into the league next year and there's going to be an expansion draft. Most of the players they are drafting are going to be 3rd and 4th liners, along with the odd 2nd liner and overpriced player a team may want to unload.

Most of these players don't get a lot of ice time because they play on the 3rd and 4th lines, thus their point scoring statistics are low.

By the end of Seattle's preseason take a look at the pre-season statistics of all their players and find out what lines they will be playing on when the regular season begins. Make sure you focus on the 1st lines , 2nd liners and power play units. After you determine which player(s) have the most potential, buy up all or their RCs.

William Karlsson of Vegas is the perfect example of this system working. He was a nobody until he starting playing in vegas.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Investment mailday:

If you want to make money, invest in Mackinnon, he's not only elite but he also plays for a team that has a good chance to be a contender for many years to come with Mack, Rantanen, Makar and Sakic as a GM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

What if McDavid never wins a Cup??
    Mackinnon, Mathews, Marner, Draisaitl etc
    Aside from McDavid, Mackinnon looks like the next Crosby like player and perhaps the best bet to win a few cups.

A player also has to be very flashy and productive, therefor not a D-man or a Bergeron, Toews style player. A D-man would need to score 100 pts plus many times.

Goalies? Would need to play for the Habs, or maybe Rangers and backstop the team to multiple cups.

I really like Pettersson game, but a swede in Vancouver? Maybe. Needs to win Cups. Eichel is very talented, but the Sabres organization doesn't appear to know what they are doing.

I was excited about Patrick Laine at first, looked like an easy 60 goal guy. Than they made him play a complete game. Probably a better all round player now but not as a sexy as piling up a bunch of Rocket Richard trophies. Plus small market team.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I find the whole fascination with rookie cards of the current guys absolutely fascinating. People will gladly pay more for a Rasmus Sandin card than I just paid for a Maurice Richard auto. What are the odds that Sandin starts putting up Karlsson numbers and wins at least 1 Cup in Toronto? Because that's the only way he'll ever come close to retaining any value

Volunteer

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    San Diego Padres Green Bay Packers Chicago Blackhawks
    See Comatoad's Items on eBay LinkedIn COMC Cards For Sale

In the late '80s, early 90's, I used to go to the Mile High Flea Market in Denver and sell cards and comics. I paid $20 for the weened for an area the size of a parking spot, and $5 for a table. I would clear $100-150 over the weekend. Of course, I haven't tried anything like that since then, but that may be a thought, i.e., flea markets and swap meets.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I find the whole fascination with rookie cards of the current guys absolutely fascinating. People will gladly pay more for a Rasmus Sandin card than I just paid for a Maurice Richard auto. What are the odds that Sandin starts putting up Karlsson numbers and wins at least 1 Cup in Toronto? Because that's the only way he'll ever come close to retaining any value

That's a whole different subject though, this is a thread about profiting, most people buy cards to collect, they don't look at it as retaining value or not. Personally I spend a lot of money on my Hampus Lindholm pc but I never think about whether it will retain it's value or not, I just collect.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's a whole different subject though, this is a thread about profiting, most people buy cards to collect, they don't look at it as retaining value or not. Personally I spend a lot of money on my Hampus Lindholm pc but I never think about whether it will retain it's value or not, I just collect.

In that case, there must be way more Carter Hart fans or Philly goalie fans than I could possibly imagine, seeing as they're apparently not prospecting

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

In that case, there must be way more Carter Hart fans or Philly goalie fans than I could possibly imagine, seeing as they're apparently not prospecting

Yes hockey and goalies in Philly is popular. Ever since Bernie Parent helped them win 2 cups. Why not think Hart is the next one? Not much different than Habs fans being nuts about Price.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What a beauty!

#CollectNathan

Investment mailday:

If you want to make money, invest in Mackinnon, he's not only elite but he also plays for a team that has a good chance to be a contender for many years to come with Mack, Rantanen, Makar and Sakic as a GM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast