Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tips on profiting?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

Have you ever met someone that told you "I just want to make a bit of money selling hockey cards, I don't want to make a lot of money, just a bit"

No one ever said that in the history of hockey cards lol

The point I’m making is that it’s not everyone who cares about the time they put in making money on cards. Putting cards for sale takes time but when you enjoy it, who cares!
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Best way to make money in hockey cards is to buy 10K+ worth of McDavid rookies, set them aside for 10+ years and double/triple/quadruple your money without doing anything.

Since making this post McDavid ygs have already gone up 175%. Last summer raw ygs were selling for $450, early November 2020 they were selling for $600, today some of them are selling for $800 and $900

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Since making this post McDavid ygs have already gone up 175%. Last summer raw ygs were selling for $450, early November 2020 they were selling for $600, today some of them are selling for $800 and $900

Crazy.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

The biggest moneymaker for the year 2020 is without a doubt Mackinnon young guns, I bought 4 of them for less than a $100 at the beginning of the year, today they sell between $300 and $400, up to 400% increase and they will keep going up.

Another big moneymaker for 2020 was Elias Pettersson ygs, I bought 10x raw at $70 each and 4x bgs 9.5 at $175 each. I predict raw Pettersson yg will reach $250-300 by the end of 2021.

Young guns in general have gone up in value for a lot of players in the last 2-3 months, due to pandemic, the Gretzky rookie hype, the 20-21 UD 1 Lafreničre hype.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

My daughter received some money for her birthday a couple of years ago and wanted to buy a hockey card that would be worth a lot of money by the time she had children. I advised her to grab a McDavid YG. Got a BGS 9.5 YG for about 280 US. We looked it up last year and were shocked at what they are going for.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My daughter received some money for her birthday a couple of years ago and wanted to buy a hockey card that would be worth a lot of money by the time she had children. I advised her to grab a McDavid YG. Got a BGS 9.5 YG for about 280 US. We looked it up last year and were shocked at what they are going for.

Smart advice, $280 US is cheap compared to what they sell for today. This card is a very good investment, keep it another decade.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Panarin is another one that saw a big jump in value, he was undervalued for a long time. I bought 4x yg canvas back in May 2020, they keep going up in value since.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have gotten very into cards during tough times, because it is time consuming, can be rewarding and can be inexpensive. I was going to shows and buying bulk `boxes with treasures that took a long while to flip into basically free cards and built the PayPal slowly but surely for some nice "investments". I would spend hours and hours cataloging them and selling them off in small piles. Good return on small investment over a long time. I was actually saving money by staying home and working on my collection, which was great! Finances are now better and I have since all but left the market to pour my energy into more lucrative side-hustles (sales). Still, as other members have said, to make a little money enjoying what you do with a hobby is a plus.

In order to make a lot of money, I would think you would need to invest a lot of money buying super high enders at the right times, and selling at the right times (Stanley Cup Playoffs). You may also want to research the actual money makers, which seem to be PWCC/Probstein auctioneers, those guys are making a lot of money.

My downfall has always been not being able to get rid of cards at the right time when they reach peak value. Being sentimentally attached to cards prevents me from making more money. I made 1k selling some baseball cards over the quarantine which felt pretty good, but hockey stuff is a lot tougher.

Good luck man, lots of great advise in this discussion!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I predict raw Pettersson yg will reach $250-300 by the end of 2021.

Pretty amazing:

SCF Rewards
    Country

Raw Pettersson were selling for $150 on January 1st 2021

A week later they sell for $250+

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast