Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Autographed Card Set Collectors Thread

Thought it might be cool to have a thread for those who are working on-- or who have completed-- signed card sets.

Any sport is welcome!

Any fun stories from it? Links to where we can see your sets?

What made you pick your set? Who were the first and last ones you got? Who were the toughest sigs to get?

Tell all about them here!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Alright, so this topic so far seems to be going over like a lead balloon, so I guess I'll start.

As my Want List link in my sig shows, I'm working on a LOT: five hockey (with three others completed), five baseball (plus a bunch of other partial set projects), one football, two Nascar, and six indoor soccer. I'll just focus on a few of the bigger ones.

2002-03 TOPPS TOTAL HOCKEY
    440 cards, 431 signed as of June 2020 (approximately 98% complete)

I bought a box in February 2003, just after it came out, hoping to add to my box of stuff that I could get signed since I had just started 'graphing hockey in-person a few weeks prior. It came in just before the Flyers and Canucks came in both within a few days of each other-- February 28-March 3. I'm not sure who the first one I got was, but it likely would have been a Flyer-- based on my notes, either Jeremy Roenick, Eric Weinrich, or Dennis Seidenberg.

Toughest so far that I've gotten: Steve Yzerman, Mario Lemieux, Dmitri Bykov (had to mail to Russia; he played only one year in the NHL before going back), Sergei Zholtok (was given one; he died in 2004 playing in Europe during the lockout).

Toughest I have left: Paul Kariya and Mark Messier; the good news is that all nine that I have left are at least alive.

Deceased players that I have: Zholtok, Igor Korolev, Pavol Demitra, Josef Vasicek, Ruslan Salei, Greg Johnson

1972 TOPPS BASEBALL
    787 cards, but 863 sigs needed due to dual/triple/quad player cards; 424 sigs so far (a hair under 50% complete)

Back around 1994 or so, a guy at my family's church gave me and a friend a bunch of old (by our 10-year old standards) cards that his son once had and no longer wanted. The first batch was a bunch of 1981 Donruss, the second were some 1972 Topps ones. Over time I got a few signed, but once I got one signed from that first batch that I was given-- Ray Fosse at a 2014 Rangers-A's game-- I decided I would try to get as many signed as I could. I think the first one I got signed was likely Ken Suarez at a Rangers' Alumni event around 2011 or so.

Toughest so far that I've gotten: I've completed a few of the dual and trio rookies (Giants, Mets, Braves, Rangers, Cubs, Royals, Expos, and Red Sox) and should have one of the League Leaders finished soon (Wilbur Wood, Jim Palmer, just waiting on a return from Vida Blue). A few Hall of Famers (Fisk on the Red Sox trio rookie, Palmer x2, Juan Marichal x2) Acquired a few deceased ones as well (Bob Barton, Paul Schaal, and more).

Toughest I have left: Roberto Clemente x3, Thurman Munson x2, Don Wilson x2, Dan Frisella x2, Jim McGlothin, Danny Thompson, and Bob Moose all died before 1980. Toughest living: Mike Marshall, Willie Mays x2, Hank Aaron x2.

Impossible card: Gil Hodges died before his card was printed. If you see one signed, IT IS FAKE.

Other notes: I got all the checklists signed by umpires who were active in 1972. The team cards are all signed by a coach, executive, broadcaster, player from 1972 who didn't have a card, or other team personality. My White Sox one is signed by the Comiskey Park organist, Nancy Faust.

1987/88-1992/93 PACIFIC MISL & NPSL
    840 cards across all the seasons, 924 sigs required with multi-player cards and errors/variations; 780 sigs so far (almost 85%)

I grew up in Northeast Ohio. Our sports teams in my lifetime left me little to cheer for. I started following the Indians in 1990 and the second game I went to was a no-hitter against them. The 1991 season they went 57-105. The 1990 Browns went 3-13. The Cavs were a joke from their inception through the mid-80s, but were going to be the "Team of the 90s" according to Magic Johnson. Then they traded Ron Harper for Danny Ferry, Michael Jordan sank his shot over Craig Ehlo, and the team sank into obscurity until LeBron came along. We only had NHL hockey for two years, well before I got there, and the Barons were garbage. But we won a few MISL Championships: lost the final in 1988, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, and 2005 but won it all in 1994, 1996, and 1999.

In 2002, my high school hockey's arena was in a building that had several indoor soccer fields as well. And they hosted the Skills Competition for the 2002 MISL All-Star Game. So I got a few cards signed there and just kind of forgot about them until the 2010s when I figured I'd try mailing off a few others. After going to a MASL game in Dallas in 2014 that had a Sidekicks Alumni game where EVERYONE was signing the cards I had and even going and getting other players to come sign for me, I figured I would get all the sets and try to track down as many as I could via mail, and any other way I needed to get them signed.

Fun stories: This is the only project where I have bought a plane ticket and hotel specifically in order to get stuff signed for a set-- last year's MISL40 reunion event in Las Vegas for former players and fans of the league. I even got to play a pickup game with several players in those sets, and one Indoor Soccer Hall of Famer-- Juli Veee-- told me I played pretty well in goal. Players on my team included David D'Errico, Doc Lawson, Gerry Gray, Godfrey Ingram, Bob Bozada; we went up against a team that included John Louis, Alan Mayer, Len Bilous, Dave MacKenzie, and Jim Sinclair. Watching from the side included Veee, Zoltan Toth, Kai Haaskivi, Gordon Jago, Norman Piper, Guy Newman, Gus Mokalis, Doug Verb, and others.

First one I got: Hector Marinaro on his 1987/88 card as he was coming off the field at the 2002 ASG Skills Competition. I was unaware he was running off to go hit the bathroom... sorry for delaying you, Hector!

Closest to finishing: I'm six away on the 1987/88 set. Fortunately all of them are alive, but tough to track down. Multiple TTMs to each have gone unanswered.

Toughest that I've gotten: the 1987/88 set has several who are now deceased, including Stan Stamenkovic, Slobo Ilijevski, Barry Wallace, and Mike Reynolds, all of whom I have gotten in purchases and trades. Steve Zungul was one of the league's greatest in its early days and now refuses interviews and just wants to leave professional soccer mostly behind him... but signed for me by mail. I've also tracked down a few overseas with luck, including Bobo Lucic, Dali, Craig Allen, Mike Dowler, Dwight Lodeweges, Marcel Loosveld, Nenad Markicevic, Steve Pittman, and Garry Stanley.

Toughest I still need: several deceased ones as I'm missing other cards of the aforementioned quartet in some other sets; also Billy Ronson, Domenic Mobilio, Pedro DeBrito, Stan Terlecki, Nenad Nikolic, Earl Foreman, and Keith Weller.

Toughest I need that are still living: for the life of me, I can't find Dennis Mepham, Claudio De Oliveira, Waad Hirmez. Several are overseas (Erik Rasmussen and David Byrne) and I don't have an address on them. But the biggest ghost for me is Majid Jay: a former referee in the 1990-91 set. Apparently he got involved in some fraudulent enterprises after his officiating career and has pretty much disappeared. A person who apparently knows the story (but has been hard to get a hold of for more details) told me "It is an amazing, almost unbelievable story of corruption, with a lot of different twists and turns and involvingquite a few other people. Some were complicit, others were simply conned. Some honest peoplefinally exposed the truth. But some details will never be known for sure. It could be a novel or even a movie!"

I have a few other sets I'm doing, but these are the big ones for me. Tell us about yours!
    Last edited by *censored*; 06-18-2020 at 01:54 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    New York Mets Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Lightning
    See picklepete's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

Do u have this one ?
    # 550
    72 B. Robinson auto JSA by Pete Defino, on Flickr

Also # 220 Jim Perry
    & # 263 Felipe Alou

Pete
    Last edited by Picklepete; 07-04-2020 at 09:08 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    New York Mets Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Lightning
    See picklepete's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

found 11 u may need.. 53, 54, 164 Tug McGraw Deceased, 220, 263, 303, 437, 497, 502 - deceased, 511, 550,
    LMK who u need then I'll send pics..
    Thx..
    Last edited by Picklepete; 07-04-2020 at 11:25 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Very nice thread

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See leong1's Items on eBay

I think it's a great thread. I started a similar one a while ago which is a Sticky.

https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...ctors-Database

Good luck on your sets!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ha, apparently I posted in it right after I joined ages ago, as it has my original screenname with the sets I was doing then in the first post on the list.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See leong1's Items on eBay

Ha, apparently I posted in it right after I joined ages ago, as it has my original screenname with the sets I was doing then in the first post on the list.

Oh yeah. I see your post in there.

I really like your 1972 BB project. Getting the multiples signed always looks good. And I like how you were creative in getting these signed:
    Quote Originally Posted by *censored*
    Other notes: I got all the checklists signed by umpires who were active in 1972. The team cards are all signed by a coach, executive, broadcaster, player from 1972 who didn't have a card, or other team personality. My White Sox one is signed by the Comiskey Park organist, Nancy Faust.

Keep up the good work! Would love to see pics.
    Last edited by LakersMC; 08-12-2020 at 01:23 PM.