Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Oklahoma City Thunder Los Angeles Dodgers
    See 22chrisbrown29's Items on eBay

What made you collect the players(s), collection that you collect?

It might seem like a dumb question, but I am curious!

I collect:

Lionel Manuel (Giants)

I started collecting his cards a few years after I met him. I had already been a Giants fan for a few years at this point (It was 1986). He was friends with a gal I worked with. We went to a Giants/Raiders game at the Coliseum (In Los Angeles when the Raiders were there). Giants won 14-9 if I remember correctly. After the game, we went to the buses and I met him, Phil Simms, Phil Simms son Chris (he was just a little kid) and another player I can't remember right offhand.

Forward to the night before SB XXl. We got to go hang out with the players at their hotel in Cost Mesa. From there, we went to a dinner at the TGIFridays across the street. Part of it was closed from the public for the Giants players. We went with Lionel (he was a great guy!) and we sat at a table with William Roberts, Pepper Johnson and Maurice Carthon. It was a great time! I did also meet LT (what a jerk!) and also Mark Bavaro, Jim Burt and Harry Carson.

They opened the room to people who wanted autographs. For whatever reason, the fans thought that we were cheerleaders...LOL!!! I suppose they figured that us women sitting there had to be affiliated with the team (a lot of the other players and their people with them had left by then). We kept trying to tell people we were just friends there with the players but the fans kept shoving SB XXl posters to us so, what the heck, we signed them! We have about 50 posters out there signed with our signatures, along with the players lol

That was the turning point in my being a Giants fan. I have been hardcore since that day!

Chris Brown (CU Buffaloes/Titans)

I loved the way this guy ran the ball in college! I lived in Indiana at the time and, for some reason, we kept getting CU football games on one of the stations there. I couldn't really afford to collect him when he came to the NFL....but after being consistently injured, I started picking up his cards in 2006. I only collect autographs, multi colored patches and 1/1's. I am only down to needing 29 autographs to have them all (sans the 1/1 autos)

Leonard Pope (Georgia Bulldogs/AZ Cardinals)

I started collecting his stuff more recently (about a year or so maybe?) I got to watch him a few times on TV and he seemed like a beast! The thing that did it for me was when he saved a drowning child from a pool. It had shades of Joe Delaney all over it, yet it was a different scenario. I saw a rare card of his on Ebay and got it for literally under a buck. That was it, I am now 48 cards away from having all of his autographs (sans 1/1's)

Stepfan Taylor (Stanford Cardinals/AZ Cardinals)

I hate Stanford U lol!! I have since I was a kid (football-wise). I have always voted against them, however, many players that I truly like have gone to SU. I watched a game one year wherein Taylor had a great game. I told myself I was going to remember that name. I then watched the Rose Bowl where he won Offensive MVP. I watched interviews with him and then I watched something where he was into his "alter ego" Kulabafi...it was hilarious! I loved his sense of humor. He, unfortunately, did not become a beast in the NFL. Just a few years ago I saw an autographed printing plate jersey/auto on ebay and decided I would bid a certain amount and, if I won, that would begin my collection (I kept wanting to collect him but, for some reason, I never pulled the trigger). I won the card for under $15 and that was the beginning! As of this point, I have around 22 1/1's and just about half of all his autos (sans the 1/1's). This has become my main collecting passion.

Other players I collect:

Geno Smith - That VT game against Baylor was a monster! One of the best games I have ever watched. That, right there, was what got me into collecting Geno Smith Autographs. I have 134 autographs. I'm not trying to get them all, however, I never thought I would have the amount that I do have!

Hakeem Nicks - Just a sort of collection, whatever autos I can find for cheap. One of my favorite Giants receivers.

Travis Rudolph - Because he is an amazing guy. Going out of his way to help that kid by sitting with him at his lunch, made me an instant fan! I just pick up stuff here and there, mostly autographs #d 25 or lower or stuff that appeals to me.

Paul Perkins - Love his running style! Plus, he was a Giant! I also just pick up lower numbered auto's and stuff that appeals to me.

That was WAY more than I had intended to type!

Looking forward to hearing from y'all!

Last edited by BlackDiam0nd66; 06-23-2020 at 07:01 PM.