Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

NHL, NHLPA Agree on Return-to-Play, New CBA Extension

There's a lot going on here: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-nhlpa-finaliz...nd-4-1.1492415

The agreement still needs to be ratified by the PA and the Board of Governors, but here's what is in play...

* a limit of 30 skaters and unlimited goalies in Phase 3 training camps. Only players that are eligible to play in the season resumption are allowed to skate in Phase 3. * Players can opt out without penalty, but will need to make their decision by July 7 at 5pm ET/2pm PT and teams must submit their list of participating players by July 9. Furthermore, McKenzie reports there is a detailed breakdown of quarantine requirements regarding players returning to their home cities.

The deadlines are subject to change.
    * If any player tests positive for the coronavirus they will be deemed "unfit to play" and will be treated as a hockey-related injury for all purposes under the CBA, says McKenzie.

*Training camps are scheduled to open on July 13, with teams slated to arrive in the hub cities of Toronto and Edmonton by July 26, with games scheduled for Aug. 1. Absent of a COVID-19 outbreak that shuts down play, the Stanley Cup would be on track to be awarded in the first week of October.

*The Alexis Lafreniere Draft Lottery sweepstakes will be held on Aug. 10, with the NHL Draft to follow in mid-October. Free agency would take place in the fall for the first time in league history on Nov. 1.

CBA Stuff
    The new CBA will have a term of six years, ensuring labour peace through at least 2025-26. It can also be extended one year if the escrow debt from 2019-20 owing to owners exceeds $125 million at the end of the deal.
    The salary cap’s upper limit will be frozen for 2020-21 at $81.5 million and remain there until hockey-related revenue returns to $4.8 billion - the amount projected for this 2019-20 season before the pandemic hit.
    As reported, NHL players will participate in the 2022 Beijing Olympics and the 2026 Milan Olympics, pending negotiation with the IIHF and IOC.
    For high-value, front loaded long-term deals (at least 6 years, worth at least 7.5 per cent of cap), salary variability from the highest year to the lowest year will go from 50 per cent down to 35 per cent

More to come....
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Dissapointed that they're going to go back to the Olympics, but if that was the bone the players wanted, I guess it had to be done.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Happy with it

SCF Rewards
    Country

What about buyouts in the off-season? I really think compliance buyouts would help - not only for the teams - but the cap in general... And what about the college players that signed during this "Corona break"? are they eligible for the playoffs? and if they are - will playing them in the playoffs burn a year off their ELC's?

Heck, I got a million questions going forward.

Either way, I'm happy because it seems the playoffs are right around the corner.... And as a Blackhawks fan I'm kinda reserved to say the least because If they lose the "play-in" round against the Oilers they have a 12.5% shot at winning the Alexis Lafreniere sweepstakes, but if they do win the "play-in" round, and no matter how far they go they will draft no later than 9th or 10th overall - so part of me wants them to tank, lol and the other part of me wants to see them go on a deep playoff run, because the Hawks core are clearly capable of going deep.... And I will say this much, this is essentially a "new season" so anything can happen... All momentum from the regular season is gone, so just about any team that qualified for the playoffs or the "play-in" rounds could get hot right from the start and have an opportunity at a deep run and perhaps the Cup.....And IMO, I don't think the 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions is going to be one of the teams that had a better regular season like Boston for example - I think it will be a team that no one expects, or at the very least most hockey fans would have expected to have been booted in the play-in or the first round..... I mean, like I previously said this is a "new season" and what was accomplished in the regular season means little to nothing at this point.... And it's kinda weird because I really don't consider these playoffs to be "playoffs" - I consider these "playoffs" more like a "tournament" than anything else, and I would suppose there will be a lot of asterisks in the record books when it's all said and done.

One more observation/point I would like to make: Isn't it funny how Crosby & Ovechkin were drafted in the same draft because of a lockout and now
    Alexis Lafreniere - perhaps a generational talent on that level is in a similar situation because of this "Covid" shortened/delayed season?, lol....

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What about buyouts in the off-season? I really think compliance buyouts would help - not only for the teams - but the cap in general... And what about the college players that signed during this "Corona break"? are they eligible for the playoffs? and if they are - will playing them in the playoffs burn a year off their ELC's?

Heck, I got a million questions going forward.

Either way, I'm happy because it seems the playoffs are right around the corner.... And as a Blackhawks fan I'm kinda reserved to say the least because If they lose the "play-in" round against the Oilers they have a 12.5% shot at winning the Alexis Lafreniere sweepstakes, but if they do win the "play-in" round, and no matter how far they go they will draft no later than 9th or 10th overall - so part of me wants them to tank, lol and the other part of me wants to see them go on a deep playoff run, because the Hawks core are clearly capable of going deep.... And I will say this much, this is essentially a "new season" so anything can happen... All momentum from the regular season is gone, so just about any team that qualified for the playoffs or the "play-in" rounds could get hot right from the start and have an opportunity at a deep run and perhaps the Cup.....And IMO, I don't think the 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions is going to be one of the teams that had a better regular season like Boston for example - I think it will be a team that no one expects, or at the very least most hockey fans would have expected to have been booted in the play-in or the first round..... I mean, like I previously said this is a "new season" and what was accomplished in the regular season means little to nothing at this point.... And it's kinda weird because I really don't consider these playoffs to be "playoffs" - I consider these "playoffs" more like a "tournament" than anything else, and I would suppose there will be a lot of asterisks in the record books when it's all said and done.

One more observation/point I would like to make: Isn't it funny how Crosby & Ovechkin were drafted in the same draft because of a lockout and now
    Alexis Lafreniere - perhaps a generational talent on that level is in a similar situation because of this "Covid" shortened/delayed season?, lol....

Lots of specifics to come out, but I'm guessing compliance buyouts are going to happen. Probably see them grant everyone one this year, and a second to be used over the next couple of years, to help deal with the stagnant cap.

College players that have recently signed, I'd expect are eligible to play. In a normal season, they're eligible, so I don't see why this year would be any different in that respect. As far as the ELCs go, I'm pretty sure that yes... it burns one year. Those kids are in a weird place for contacts anyway.

I was trying to think of a recent one off the top of my head, and I remember Max Veronneau from Ottawa last year. Here's his page on Cap Friendly:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/max-veronneau

He didn't sign a typically rookie deal for 3 years, he got a two year deal instead. Last season (when he signed) was the first year of it. This season is the second, and he'll be a free agent after the season ends.

I'll correct you though: Crosby & Ovechkin were not drafted in the same season. They were the #1 picks in 2004 (AO) and 2005 (SC), but both made their debuts in 2005-06, since there was no 2004-05 season (when Ovechkin surly would have played).

I'm not really following the comparison... other than Crosby being drafted in a weird lottery year, since there was no season to be played.

I suppose we might see the entire 2020-21 season wiped out, and a second draft (more Crosby-esque) will be held, and we'll get a double cohort for the 2021-22 season.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Here we go!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I thought I read compliance buyouts weren't on anyone's radar. And honestly, with all the cap space the Habs have, I hope they aren't. I'd love for them to be able to grab a good player or two by helping other teams out of their cap nightmares.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lots of specifics to come out, but I'm guessing compliance buyouts are going to happen. Probably see them grant everyone one this year, and a second to be used over the next couple of years, to help deal with the stagnant cap.

College players that have recently signed, I'd expect are eligible to play. In a normal season, they're eligible, so I don't see why this year would be any different in that respect. As far as the ELCs go, I'm pretty sure that yes... it burns one year. Those kids are in a weird place for contacts anyway.

I was trying to think of a recent one off the top of my head, and I remember Max Veronneau from Ottawa last year. Here's his page on Cap Friendly:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/max-veronneau

He didn't sign a typically rookie deal for 3 years, he got a two year deal instead. Last season (when he signed) was the first year of it. This season is the second, and he'll be a free agent after the season ends.

I'll correct you though: Crosby & Ovechkin were not drafted in the same season. They were the #1 picks in 2004 (AO) and 2005 (SC), but both made their debuts in 2005-06, since there was no 2004-05 season (when Ovechkin surly would have played).

I'm not really following the comparison... other than Crosby being drafted in a weird lottery year, since there was no season to be played.

I suppose we might see the entire 2020-21 season wiped out, and a second draft (more Crosby-esque) will be held, and we'll get a double cohort for the 2021-22 season.

Yea, I misspoke er misstyped (if that makes any sense) when it came to Crosby and AO - Malkin went after AO, however that whole "lockout era" is all smashed together in my mind as like one season, lol..... I suppose my point about the Crosby/Ovechkin draft's is that it was just a weird situation and era for hockey - kind of like now.

As far as the stagnant salary cap - I have tons of ideas on how to make it easier on teams, the league and the NHLPA:

I mean the NHL could grant teams compliance buyouts, that would help - however instead of granting teams compliance buyouts of r a particular player or players - why not grant a team a compliance dollar amount of say perhaps 10 or 12 million? and teams can do what they wish with that allotted compliance buyout money?

Another idea I have is allowing teams to have an "official franchise player" and said player doesn't count against the cap - or at the very least doesn't count against the cap at his full cap hit, perhaps 25% does, or even 50% does - but if a player is granted "franchise player status" he automatically has a NMC clause, however if the player does decide to move the NMC and his team trades him the "franchise tag" is removed and his full cap hit will go against his new teams salary cap.

And another idea I have which is similar to the one above, is for drafted players and the teams that drafted them. After said players/draftees ELC's are up - the players bridge deal er cap hit would only count at 50% against the teams cap up until a certain age, say 26-27 or so, however like the above idea - if that player is traded, that 50% goes away and his full cap hit will count against his new teams salary cap.

Of course I have another idea, lol.... This one is pretty simple - just allow teams to trade cap space for picks or prospects? I mean why not? it would absolutely help rebuilding teams because they will get draft picks for the unused cap space, and teams trying to make a run that could use extra cap space get what they need in that situation..... Now, I don't know how much cap space is worth but say 5 million in cap space is worth perhaps a 1st round pick, 4 million is worth a 2nd and so on..... I mean what a lot of fans like about the salary cap is that it creates parity - well the parity aspect will remain in this situation because the teams trading their space will get picks in return which will make them better teams in the long-run - not only that but it would help teams expedite their rebuilds...

As far as college players and weather or not they're eligible to play in the playoffs and not burn a year off their contract is because a lot of the college players have already signed their ELC's and many are more than NHL ready... As a Hawks fan we have a defenseman by the name of Ian Mitchell - I believe he's out of the University of Denver - and I think he could really play a role for the Hawks in the play-in and perhaps playoffs - so it would suck having to decide to burn a year off his contract or play him knowing that he could play a role during these playoffs.....

Anyways, what do you guys/gals think about my salary cap (hit) ideas? I've put a lot of thought into those ideas over the years and I think all of my ideas help the NHLPA, the teams involved and the NHL as a whole....

- Nick
    Last edited by Savard18; 07-06-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

I thought I read compliance buyouts weren't on anyone's radar. And honestly, with all the cap space the Habs have, I hope they aren't. I'd love for them to be able to grab a good player or two by helping other teams out of their cap nightmares.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on that front. Everybody is going to be impacted by this one way or another, and ultimately the management group will do what's best for the NHL collectively. I'd anticipate a buyout scenario being on the table. They did it after the lockouts in both 2005 and 2013 (the latter was accelerated due to certain players being told to stay home so they don't get hurt...initially the buyout plan was for AFTER the 2013 season, but the NHLPA intervened so that guys could get an opportunity to sign elsewhere and continue to play the game), and while this is obviously a different set of circumstances, it's detrimental to the League as a whole to have 20+ teams in cap trouble and having to assess burying guys in the AHL, etc.

As it relates to the Habs, there's always the opportunity for them to be able to pick up a recently bought-out player at a discounted rate. Worked well for Philadelphia in 2013 when they signed Lecavalier just a few days after Tampa bought out his original contract.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

I mean the NHL could grant teams compliance buyouts, that would help - however instead of granting teams compliance buyouts of r a particular player or players - why not grant a team a compliance dollar amount of say perhaps 10 or 12 million? and teams can do what they wish with that allotted compliance buyout money?
    - Nick

If this is the case, they might as well just bump up the salary cap. By allowing it to only a single player, this would cause some work by GM's to figure out how to best handle this (those who don't need a buyout now have a nice bargaining chip to take bad contracts). The Hawks are one of the teams that desperately need a compliance buyout of Seabrook's contract.

Another idea I have is allowing teams to have an "official franchise player" and said player doesn't count against the cap - or at the very least doesn't count against the cap at his full cap hit, perhaps 25% does, or even 50% does - but if a player is granted "franchise player status" he automatically has a NMC clause, however if the player does decide to move the NMC and his team trades him the "franchise tag" is removed and his full cap hit will go against his new teams salary cap.
    - Nick

I would venture that many that would be labeled "franchise players" already have NMC and so it wouldn't be such a big detractor from flagging said players. You don't think Calgary wouldn't love to flag Lucic as a "Franchise Player"?

And another idea I have which is similar to the one above, is for drafted players and the teams that drafted them. After said players/draftees ELC's are up - the players bridge deal er cap hit would only count at 50% against the teams cap up until a certain age, say 26-27 or so, however like the above idea - if that player is traded, that 50% goes away and his full cap hit will count against his new teams salary cap.
    - Nick

This is the best idea from your post. This rewards teams that are able to grow their own hometown talent, and helps those teams keep their prospects by offering them a bit more money than other teams.

Of course I have another idea, lol.... This one is pretty simple - just allow teams to trade cap space for picks or prospects? I mean why not? it would absolutely help rebuilding teams because they will get draft picks for the unused cap space, and teams trying to make a run that could use extra cap space get what they need in that situation..... Now, I don't know how much cap space is worth but say 5 million in cap space is worth perhaps a 1st round pick, 4 million is worth a 2nd and so on..... I mean what a lot of fans like about the salary cap is that it creates parity - well the parity aspect will remain in this situation because the teams trading their space will get picks in return which will make them better teams in the long-run - not only that but it would help teams expedite their rebuilds...

- Nick

The whole point of the salary cap is to pay the players and to make sure that teams spend enough money to field a team (that's the hope, but the coyotes of the mid teens show it doesn't always work that way). An owner could trade their salary cap space, not pay physical dollars and let the rich teams spend more money on more talent, skewing the system. The last thing I want is for the NHL to become the NBA with their new focus on "super teams" because they were allowed to skirt the rules/pay luxury tax of the salary cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast