Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Looking to get into basketball

Hi folks.

I am Canadian and I have been a hockey rookie card collector since the late 1980s. A few years ago, I decided to collect a few baseball rookies (mainly cards from the Montreal Expos and Toronto Blue Jays, as well as Canadian-born players).

I'm looking to branch out into all four major sports but I have very little knowledge on basketball or football cards. I am not looking for high-end stuff just yet; mid-range cards is fine. I do not like refractors. What is the most commonly-collected affordable mid-range product available?

I am in the midst of compiling a list of players I want rookies of right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tony

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I regret to inform you that, based on your collecting preferences, a more ideal time for you would have been a few years ago. Right now, refractors are the big thing, and it's gotten very hard to find mid-end anymore. The basketball market has absolutely exploded -- a good time for us longtime collectors looking to sell, but hard for newer hobbyists with more limited budgets to break in.

There are, however, still some boxes of Panini Threads in the last few years that can be had for about $100 or so. That would be my best suggestion for more recent product. There are no refractors; instead, you can pull some decent autos, inserts, rookies, and numbered cards out of it. Refractors are the staples of Prizm, Optic, and Select.

You can also try Donruss or Hoops from recent years. This year, those products are much more expensive because of the Zion and Ja rookies, but other recent years are more affordable.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I regret to inform you that, based on your collecting preferences, a more ideal time for you would have been a few years ago. Right now, refractors are the big thing, and it's gotten very hard to find mid-end anymore. The basketball market has absolutely exploded -- a good time for us longtime collectors looking to sell, but hard for newer hobbyists with more limited budgets to break in.

There are, however, still some boxes of Panini Threads in the last few years that can be had for about $100 or so. That would be my best suggestion for more recent product. There are no refractors; instead, you can pull some decent autos, inserts, rookies, and numbered cards out of it. Refractors are the staples of Prizm, Optic, and Select.

You can also try Donruss or Hoops from recent years. This year, those products are much more expensive because of the Zion and Ja rookies, but other recent years are more affordable.

I'm a singles collector. I collect base rookies only. Nothing else. Refractors, jersey cards, autographed cards...those are wastes of cardboard to me. If it's not a base RC, I'm not interested.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Your best bet is to just trade or buy for cards you want. Otherwise you are going to end up with quite a few extra cards that you don't want. Let me know when you have a list. Maybe I can help you out with some. Thanks.
    Always looking for Reggie Miller cards I need.

Top 5 Most Wanted:
    2003-04 Ultimate Collection Signatures Logos #RM Reggie Miller 1/1
    1999 Stadium Club Co-Signers Randy Moss/Jerry Rice
    Babe Ruth game used jersey card
    Michael Jordan Bulls Autograph
    Tom Brady Patriots Autograph

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Your best bet is to just trade or buy for cards you want. Otherwise you are going to end up with quite a few extra cards that you don't want. Let me know when you have a list. Maybe I can help you out with some. Thanks.

I will send you a PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider
    Country

I have some rookies of the 2020 HOFers, Garnett, Duncan and Kobe.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I have some rookies of the 2020 HOFers, Garnett, Duncan and Kobe.

Let me know what you have.