Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Looking to get into football

Hi folks.

I am Canadian and I have been a hockey rookie card collector since the late 1980s.

A few years ago, I decided to collect a few baseball rookies (mainly cards from the Montreal Expos and Toronto Blue Jays, as well as Canadian-born players).

I'm looking to branch out into all four major sports but I have very little knowledge on basketball or football cards. I am not looking for high-end stuff just yet; mid-range cards is fine. I do not like refractors. What is the most commonly-collected affordable mid-range product available?

I am in the midst of compiling a list of players I want rookies of right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tony

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Have you checked out Upper Deck's CFL offering?

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/...football-cards

Being a Hockey guy I'm sure you are well acquainted with the company. Only Panini has a license to produce college/NFL/NFLPA licensed trading cards. Seems like Topps is always willing to dabble with experimental leagues like 2019's AAF and 2020's XFL. Leaf is a solid choice for unlicensed product.

Otherwise getting back to the NFL and Panini, if refractors aren't your thing then you'll probably be looking to skip a number of their offerings (anything with Optic or Prizm in the name) as that is a popular variation. For low end Score and Donruss are fun products. For more mid-range, probably Absolute, Prestige, and Contenders deliver some solid value. Playbook is another fun one.

Personally it's probably worth skipping anything with "Draft" in the name as well as that will feature all college uniforms and references to the schools instead of their NFL teams.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Chicago Bulls
    Twitter: @Bluddsport See eppiccollector's Items on eBay Instagram:

Have you checked out Upper Deck's CFL offering?

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/...football-cards

Being a Hockey guy I'm sure you are well acquainted with the company. Only Panini has a license to produce college/NFL/NFLPA licensed trading cards. Seems like Topps is always willing to dabble with experimental leagues like 2019's AAF and 2020's XFL. Leaf is a solid choice for unlicensed product.

Otherwise getting back to the NFL and Panini, if refractors aren't your thing then you'll probably be looking to skip a number of their offerings (anything with Optic or Prizm in the name) as that is a popular variation. For low end Score and Donruss are fun products. For more mid-range, probably Absolute, Prestige, and Contenders deliver some solid value. Playbook is another fun one.

Personally it's probably worth skipping anything with "Draft" in the name as well as that will feature all college uniforms and references to the schools instead of their NFL teams.

Well said!!! It really just depends on what you want to collect. And what you're collecting for is a big factor as well. Even low end variations sell for big dollars and right now seems like a beautiful time to collect anything from vintage to modern. I'm loving the newfound appreciation collectors are finding for the 90's hockey,baseball, basketball and football stuff. I hope you find your niche. Whether it's low,mid or high end I hope you have a blast chasing. Happy collecting

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Thanks folks. I'm not collecting to profit. I'm just looking to pick up low to mid-range cards of key players. Hockey will always be the number one collection for me so the majority of my resources will always go to that collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I personally like to collect the draft pic sets of the players in the college uniforms right after the come out of college. As an added bonus I often send them out for TTM autographs. I also collect low end panini sets and use them for TTM fuel as well.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I personally like to collect the draft pic sets of the players in the college uniforms right after the come out of college. As an added bonus I often send them out for TTM autographs. I also collect low end panini sets and use them for TTM fuel as well.

That's cool. I don't collect college cards unless there is no choice in the matter. I personally have zero interest in getting cards autographed.

I am working on a wantlist right now. I will post it for everyone soon!
    Last edited by Leafsman; 07-17-2020 at 04:09 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Chicago Bulls
    Twitter: @Bluddsport See eppiccollector's Items on eBay Instagram:

Lmk!! I may even have you some to get you started!! ;-)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Lmk!! I may even have you some to get you started!! ;-)

I will indeed. My wantlist will be ultra-specific though. I know nothing of the book value or sale value of football or basketball cards. I chose my wantlist strictly on the picture of the cards. For instance, you might see a card of a player from, say, 2009 Bowman, and see another card on the list from 2009 Bowman Chrome. The reason I didn't list both rookie cards for one set or the other is purely based on how it looks. I'm working on that list now and I will get back to you.

BANNED

Country
    See Tammyro-24's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

check my flickr link below in my sig it will give you some interesting stuff to look at from vintage to modern. Good luck with your football collection!

BANNED

Country
    See Tammyro-24's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

check my flickr link below in my sig it will give you some interesting stuff to look at from vintage to modern. Good luck with your football collection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast