Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Trade Tree:The Quebec/Chicago Trade That's Still Alive (Technically Since 1976) Cloutier/Savard

This one starts in the First Round of the 1976 NHL Draft and is still alive and going to this very day. It involves Montreal a lot - as a matter of fact (I don't want to ruin it for anyone) but one of the Canadians better players they have today is involved in this trade tree...

Real Cloutier

Real Cloutier was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in the First Round of the 1976 NHL Draft and was traded to Quebec in 1979-80 for Quebec's 3rd overall pick which became Denis Savard, Denis Savard was traded to Montreal in 1989-90 for Chris Chelios and a 2nd Round Pick ( Michael Pomichter) the 2nd round pick ends there (tho he was traded for cash to Toronto in 1996), however on March 23rd, 1999 Chris Chelios was traded to Detroit for Anders Eriksson and First Round Picks in 1999 and 2001 - Those picks became Steve McCarthy and Adam Munro. Chris Chelios goes on to play basically forever and that part of the trade tree ends there.

However the Blackhawks traded Anders Eriksson to Florida for Jaroslav Spacek on November 6th, 2002, and Jaroslav Spacek was traded to Columbus on March 19th, 2002 along with the Blackhawks 2nd Round Pick in the 2003 draft which became Dan Fritsche for Lyle Odelien.

On March 10th, 2003 the Blackhawks trade Lyle Odelien to the Dallas Stars (this is where it gets interesting) for Sami Helenius and Dallas' 7th round pick in 2004 which became Troy Brouwer (whom obviously played a role in the Hawks 2010 Cup)...

The Sami Helenius trade branch ends there, but there still is Troy Brouwer.
    On June 24th, 2011 the Chicago Blackhawks trade Troy Brouwer to Washington for Washington's 1st round pick in the 2011 NHL Draft - the Blackhawks select Phillip Danault , and on February 16th, 2016 the Blackhawks Trade Danault and their 2nd round pick to Montreal for Thomas Fleischman and Dale Weise..

So 45 years later and this trade tree is still alive and well with BOTH Phillip Danault and Dale Weise both still being active players.. And given Danault's age, who knows how much longer it can go??

But unfortunately the Hawks side of the trade tree ended on February 16th, 2016 with Thomas Fleishman and Dale Weise who both walked away as UFA's at the end of the 2015-16 NHL season.

However, that was the Hawks Trade Tree - Here is Quebec's side:

June 9th, 1979 the Chicago Blackhawks agree not to reclaim Real Cloutier in the NHL/WHA merger in exchange for their 1980 3rd overall pick.

On June 8th, 1983 Quebec trades Real Cloutier and their 1983 First Round Pick which became Adam Creighton to Buffalo for Tony Mckegney, Andre Savard, J-F Sauve and Buffalo's 3rd Round Pick in 1983 which became Iiro Jarvi....

Boy this is going to be a loooong one, lol..

Tony McKegney: Quebec trades Tony McKegney and Bo Berglund to Minnesota for Brad Maxwell and Brent Ashton.

Andre Savard's trade branch ends in 1983-84 via retirement.

J-F Sauve's trade branch ends in 1986-87 after he left the NHL.

Iiro Jarvi's trade branch ends in 1989-90 after he leaves the NHL.

This leaves Brad Maxwell and Brent Ashton as the assets left from the Cloutier Quebec/Buffalo deal.

On August 21st, 1985 Quebec trades Brad Maxwell to Toronto for John Anderson.

On March 8th, 1986 Quebec trades John Anderson to Hartford for Risto Siltanen

On January 17th, 1987 Quebec trades Brent Ashton, Gilbert Delorme and Mark Kumple to Detroit for Basil McRae, John Orgrodnick and Doug Shedden.

So on January 17th 1987 the assets Quebec has left from the Cloutier deal are: Basil McRae, John Orgodnick, Doug Shedden and Risto Siltanen.

After the 1986-87 season
    Risto Siltanen leaves the NHL - this trade branch ends.

On June 29th, 1987 Basil McRae signs as a UFA with Minnesota - this trade branch ends.

On September 30th, 1987 Quebec trades John Orgrodnick with David Shaw to the NY Rangers for Jeff Jackson and Terry Carkner

On August 14th, 1988 Doug Shedden signs as a UFA with Toronto - This trade branch ends.

So as of August 14th, 1988 the only assets left from the Cloutier trade are Jeff Jackson and Terry Carkner.

On February 19th, 1992 Jeff Jackson signs as a UFA with Chicago - This trade branch ends here.

On July 25th, 1988 Quebec Trades Terry Carkner to Philly for Greg Smyth and Philly's 3rd round pick in the 1989 NHL Draft which became John Tanner...

On March, 10th 1992 Quebec trades Greg Smyth to Calgary for Martin Simard.

On Feburary 20th, 1994 Quebec trades John Tanner to the Ducks for a 4th round pick in the 1995 NHL Draft which became Tomi Kallio.

On September 14th, 1992 Martin Simard was traded to Tampa Bay to complete transaction that sent Tim Hunter to Quebec (So Simard was part of the Hunter deal that happened on June 19th, 1992).

On June 25th, 1999 Tomi Kallio was claimed by Atlanta in expansion draft from Colorado -- Trade branch ends there.

So that just leaves Tim Hunter as the final asset from the Real Cloutier deal.

On February 12th, 1993 Tim Hunter is claimed off waivers by Vancouver.

So the Trade tree is over for the Quebec/Colorado Franchise on June 25th, 1999 when Tomi Kallio was claimed by Atlanta in the Expansion Draft.

/DONE

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

its funny how often teams trade draft picks, which in turn are retraded and so on and on. also how often draft picks DONT make much impact other than being part of another deal.
    these trees are amazing to see. totally enjoy them . thanx for the efforts, sure beats reading the newspapers lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

its funny how often teams trade draft picks, which in turn are retraded and so on and on. also how often draft picks DONT make much impact other than being part of another deal.
    these trees are amazing to see. totally enjoy them . thanx for the efforts, sure beats reading the newspapers lol

Oh, it absolutely does beat reading the newspaper especially these days...

What I found interesting about this trade tree is that it's still alive with Phillip Danault, and he's still a young guy. I mean he could be traded for picks or prospects and the trade tree could continue... I mean Danault is what 22-23 years old? so this tree has potential to go on for 15 more years, perhaps much longer...

The only thing is that I'm unsure of is if the trade tree begins in 1976 when the Blackhawks drafted Real Cloutier, or if it began on June 9th, 1979 when the Hawks essentially traded (well, did trade) Real Cloutier for the 3rd overall pick in the 1980 draft?

Either way I'm almost 40 and this trade tree is older than I am, lol...

And I guess one could argue that if the Hawks never drafted Cloutier in 1976 or never traded him for Denis Savard in 1979 that the Hawks would have never won a Stanley Cup in 2010 - 31 years later (or have a post-cap dynasty for that matter)..... But obviously that's all subjective and in hindsight.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Danault is the ripe old age of 27 but still has some pretty good hockey ahead of him.

This is one incredible tree - would be neat to see some of these in graphic form for those who like to see these things visually instead of just text - the roots go deep and long!

It's interesting too how often Chicago and Montreal cross paths in these trees. Danault is circled into this one, Andrew Shaw was part of the Rivet tree, and Thibault/Hackett ended up being a swap emanating from the Patrick Roy trade.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Danault is the ripe old age of 27 but still has some pretty good hockey ahead of him.

This is one incredible tree - would be neat to see some of these in graphic form for those who like to see these things visually instead of just text - the roots go deep and long!

It's interesting too how often Chicago and Montreal cross paths in these trees. Danault is circled into this one, Andrew Shaw was part of the Rivet tree, and Thibault/Hackett ended up being a swap emanating from the Patrick Roy trade.

I think I could do a graphic for my next trade tree - kind of like how Steve Dangle does his trade trees.. I could do it on photoshop, tho I bet there are websites out there that offer trade templets considering trade trees are pretty popular in all sports. So I will absolutely look into that.

Indeed isn't the Chicago/Montreal connection interesting? let's not forget that Shaw was traded to Montreal and back to Chicago again, lol..... I should look into Shaw trade tree to see if there is any legs to it, because I believe the pick the Hawks used to draft Shaw was acquired via trade as well...

I want to get juicey tho and see if I can get a trade tree that is still alive today going back to the 60's, perhaps further... I know it will be difficult but not impossible. I mean the draft was instituted in 1963, and it really wasn't taken seriously for a decade but with the expansion and all I think it really is possible to take a trade tree back to the 50's or even 40's that could possibly still be alive today..

I'm thinking good starts going back that far would be Sawchuk, Lindsay, Plante, Phil Esposito just to name a few...

This is certainly fun tho, time consuming but fun...

Anyways I'm fairly confident if I think about it for a little bit, I think I could find a trade tree that is alive today that started before 1976 when the Hawks drafted Cloutier... I have a few ideas..

- Nick

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's awesome. I'm still scratching my head, as to why Quebec didn't just protect Cloutier, instead of dealing a 1st round pick to gain an extra protection slot. (Clearly the answer is that they had 5 guys they thought were worth more than a 1st, and Chicago was the team they could make a deal with). Thanks for sharing this though, I enjoyed it.

I've spent a bit of time trying to find one that's actually still active, and starts in the 70s (besides Reg Thomas, that I mentioned before).

I know this tree involves players that are still in the NHL today, but as you mentioned - it ended for Chicago in 2016, when the UFAs left.

I looked at Esposito, Park, Dionne, and a couple of other stars from that era - but the trees all end before too long.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's awesome. I'm still scratching my head, as to why Quebec didn't just protect Cloutier, instead of dealing a 1st round pick to gain an extra protection slot. (Clearly the answer is that they had 5 guys they thought were worth more than a 1st, and Chicago was the team they could make a deal with). Thanks for sharing this though, I enjoyed it.

I've spent a bit of time trying to find one that's actually still active, and starts in the 70s (besides Reg Thomas, that I mentioned before).

I know this tree involves players that are still in the NHL today, but as you mentioned - it ended for Chicago in 2016, when the UFAs left.

I looked at Esposito, Park, Dionne, and a couple of other stars from that era - but the trees all end before too long.

Well with trade trees there really is no starting point - you can work both backward and forward if you have a player in mind...You just gotta find a player that has moved around a lot, because if that player was an acquired pick then you may have something there - there will certainly something after the trade.... Of course you can look at the draft every year and see which players moved around a lot..

The Cloutier one just popped into my head immediately, I don't know how or why but it did, lol