Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See CamaroDMD's Items on eBay

Fading Autograph Question

So, one of my favorite things to collect is signed baseballs. I limit my collection only to ROMLBs and normally prefer balls signed in blue ink.

I have a dozen balls from Braves players housed in a UV frame on my wall and have noticed that one of the balls has faded significantly over the last several years. See photos below...top photo was taken in 2014 and the bottom photo was taken today.

Looking at all the balls in this frame...three look different to me. Most notable is the John Smoltz (second row from bottom-right) which in 2014 was very bold and today it's very faded. This ball was purchased online and has a JSA authentication. The other balls that have faded a bit are the Dale Murphy (top left) and the Phil Niekro (second row from the top-right) which show minor loss of boldness. Both of these balls were obtained TTM and these as well as a handful of other balls signed with the same batch of Bic Pens have shown similar loss of boldness. The remaining balls look exactly as they have always looked and all have been stored under the same conditions.

Now, my question. Is it fair to assume that the culprit here is the pen used? If is was simply a light exposure issue, I would assume all the balls would show fading...but only a couple do (and two of them us pens I have found faded in different conditions). The only anomaly is the Smoltz ball as I do now know what it was signed with. Is it same to blame the pen here? If so, what can I do to reduce this risk in the future? When buying a ball, what should I look for in the ink?

Thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'd guess that the UV glass isn't actually UV glass. That's china products for you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

I Have some from the early 80s that look crisp to this day but i do not have them in direct sunlight and keet the room with a dehumidifier

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees
    See mrrosado's Items on eBay

I don't use UV protection. My autographs look nice. It was either the pen or direct exposure to sunlight. That John Smoltz is not even recognizable anymore. Balls sign best with a ball point pen. My sharpie autos are the only ones that have faded.
    my for trade website can be seen here: Hidden Content
    My for sale on eBay:Hidden Content