Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question about old redemptions/hole punches (00-01 SP Authentic)

Hi guys, wasn’t sure where to post this question hope this is the right spot.

I purchased a box of 00-01 SP Authentic Hockey to look for some Modano Buyback cards. Anywho, I pulled a Modano SOTT redemption but it had a hole punch in it. This box was sealed and as were all the packs. However, I thought the hole punch meant that the card had already been redeemed. Just looking for clarification as I didn’t bust a lot of boxes at that time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not quite sure, I would certainly contact UD about that, besides that redemption has long been expired so if you sent it into UD it would be entered into their raffle and wouldn't get the card the redemption card promised... I'm sure you would get some Modano's but a bunch of low to mid-end Modano's and a bunch of other stuff...

This is probably going to sound like a rant but - it probably it, lol :

As far as expired redemption cards - Upper Deck should be FORCED to honor the BV of the card that was being issued via redemption... Yea, I know they have a raffle and most people get something... But say you pull a Sidney Crosby Auto Patch redemption that books for $4,000 IMO, Upper Deck should be FORCED to honor that card with at least $4,000 in product.... Be it a case of modern cards, or a bunch of auto, GU cards etc.... Just as long as the collector gets $4,000 in BV that all that matters...

At least UD did institute a raffle for expired redemptions tho, that is a start - so collectors are at least getting something for their expired redemption cards, but man - I'm telling you - UD is walking on thin ice and sooner or later their exclusive licensing rights to teams and team logos will expire at some point and once it does all hell is going to break loose... Because I could see numerous card manufacturers - especially Leaf/ITGU making a significant bid on the licensing rights for NHL teams - maybe not exclusive rights (like Upper Deck owns now) but licensing rights none the less...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See vsarmy's Items on eBay

one could only hope for some kind of competition allowed eventually

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not quite sure, I would certainly contact UD about that, besides that redemption has long been expired so if you sent it into UD it would be entered into their raffle and wouldn't get the card the redemption card promised... I'm sure you would get some Modano's but a bunch of low to mid-end Modano's and a bunch of other stuff...

I contacted UD. They don’t honour anything earlier than 2005. I asked about the hole punch but the person didn’t give me an answer just stated that the card was a preview of what I would receive. Gee thanks. I already have the actual card so I knew that. So I thought this might be a good place to ask.

As far as expired redemption cards - Upper Deck should be FORCED to honor the BV of the card that was being issued via redemption... Yea, I know they have a raffle and most people get something... But say you pull a Sidney Crosby Auto Patch redemption that books for $4,000 IMO, Upper Deck should be FORCED to honor that card with at least $4,000 in product.... Be it a case of modern cards, or a bunch of auto, GU cards etc.... Just as long as the collector gets $4,000 in BV that all that matters

Ive had some good experiences with the raffle and other poor experiences. I kind of disagree with BV point because sometimes the BV doesn’t really indicate the true value of a card, especially on the secondary market. If I’m pulling a 4K Crosby I don’t want cards of high BV value that aren’t as big of a name as Crosby.

But if we’re spitballing here, I think they should have inventory database with the person able to choose what cards they want at the same value. So say you’re doing it by BV, you get to see all the cards they have at that BV as your expired redemption. Cards in the database go first come first serve and they can consistently update their inventory. That would be my hope.
    Last edited by Modano09; 07-13-2020 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Grammar

SCF Rewards
    Country

one could only hope for some kind of competition allowed eventually

I agree, you would think that Upper Deck is breaking anti-trust laws by essentially having a monopoly on the hockey card industry... The only officially licensed NHL non-Upper Deck product I can think of is Leaf/ITGU - but they don't have NHL team licensing rights - Upper Deck holds those exclusive rights... So essentially any set that features an NHL team logo is an Upper Deck product... I mean it's a monopoly and it allows Upper Deck to get away with too much nonsense - not only that but have no innovation and essentially be lazy and (insert bad word here).... Because if you're a hockey fan and collect hockey cards, what other choice do you have BUT Upper Deck?

I think a little bit of competition and parity would be a benefit to the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I contacted UD. They don’t honour anything earlier than 2005. I asked about the hole punch but the person didn’t give me an answer just stated that the card was a preview of what I would receive. Gee thanks. I already have the actual card so I knew that. So I thought this might be a good place to ask.

Ive had some good experiences with the raffle and other poor experiences. I kind of disagree with BV point because sometimes the BV doesn’t really indicate the true value of a card, especially on the secondary market. If I’m pulling a 4K Crosby I don’t want cards of high BV value that aren’t as big of a name as Crosby.

But if we’re spitballing here, I think they should have inventory database with the person able to choose what cards they want at the same value. So say you’re doing it by BV, you get to see all the cards they have at that BV as your expired redemption. Cards in the database go first come first serve and they can consistently update their inventory. That would be my hope.

I had the same database idea as well..... Upper Deck can assess the value of your expired redemption cards and you can go through the database and chose what you want.... Kind of like a "gift certificate" ....

It really is a good idea, however i doubt Upper Deck would ever consider it because it would be too much work, not only that but they don't "have to" please their customers because they have a total monopoly on the hockey card industry/hobby - so why would they spend the time and money to do something like that for their customers?..... I mean it's not like I can get pissed anymore and say "screw upper deck" then bring my business to Topps.... Nope, Upper Deck owns the hockey card hobby.... And like I previously stated - I'm shocked no one has filed an anti-trust lawsuit against them.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

That's how redemptions were back then. I just busted these boxes about a year ago. Both hits from each boxes were redemptions. Those 3 redemptions including the Pastrnak were sent for raffles. Didn’t get anything back. Upperdeck are thieves! They will not honour the expired redemptions even if they have them in stock but they’re putting those same cards in their Buyback crap and making more money on a card you’re supposed to own and you paid for!

I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you! That’s exactly what I wanted to know. My Modano looks exactly like your Sedins. But I was confused to see the hole punched in it because I thought they did that ONLY when it was redeemed. Then I was thinking, how could it be redeemed from a sealed box. Thought there might be shady business practices at work!

What really sucks is I cannot find a way to see all the cards in the old boxes that are redemptions. If UD isn’t going to honour old redemptions they should have to make sure the buyers know what the redemption are within a product. I thought all SPA was live at that time.
    Last edited by Modano09; 07-14-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I wasn't actively collecting at the time, but if I were a reasonable man, I would presume that the hole punches are to eliminate the potential for someone simply removing the redemption label and slapping a couple fake signatures on the card.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wasn't actively collecting at the time, but if I were a reasonable man, I would presume that the hole punches are to eliminate the potential for someone simply removing the redemption label and slapping a couple fake signatures on the card.

That makes sense! I assume that UD would destroy the sent in redemption with the hole punch at that time. That didn’t even occur to me, but makes total sense after you said it. Thank you; I think my questions have been answered.

Now resume the gripe about UD not honouring old redemptions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast