Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See vsarmy's Items on eBay

alot of it being driven by resell market of investors reminds me of the 90s all over again. Probally burst eventually again

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

the jagr is now up to $275
    Last edited by cjb; 10-05-2020 at 01:57 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

I agree with the comments in this thread and let me add three names of hockey players to give relatively specific, recent examples: Jordan Binnington, David Pastrnak and Leon Draisaitl

Ignoring super short prints, autos etc and just focusing only on the Young Guns cards for these three players.

Without Covid-19, these three players provided an opportunity to make 4X times your money on their Young Guns. Adding the Covid-19 effect, maybe it is 6X or 8X?

Either way, they went on to either win a Stanley Cup, goals or points scoring title. No bubbles, just buying low and holding for even up to 5 years, these provided outstanding returns on investment. Certainly not every Young Guns cards goes that way so it depends on picking the right players.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm giving this thread a new life because i saw some things that are disturbing.

OPC Premier PSA 10 mike Modano rookie card, $137.50 with 2 hours left in the action

Wayne Gretzky rookie card with all 4 corners cut off with a pair of scissors .....$150 with 2 hours left in an auction

I also saw someone is trying to unload an ungraded Sakic rookie for 90 bucks, lol, good luck

alot of it being driven by resell market of investors reminds me of the 90s all over again. Probally burst eventually again

the jagr is now up to $275

I agree with the comments in this thread and let me add three names of hockey players to give relatively specific, recent examples: Jordan Binnington, David Pastrnak and Leon Draisaitl

Ignoring super short prints, autos etc and just focusing only on the Young Guns cards for these three players.

Without Covid-19, these three players provided an opportunity to make 4X times your money on their Young Guns. Adding the Covid-19 effect, maybe it is 6X or 8X?

Either way, they went on to either win a Stanley Cup, goals or points scoring title. No bubbles, just buying low and holding for even up to 5 years, these provided outstanding returns on investment. Certainly not every Young Guns cards goes that way so it depends on picking the right players.

No doubt that a lot of this is being driven by investors. I've got a PSA 5 Gretzky OPC Rookie Card. It's selling for about 4-5x what I paid for it in 2016. Superstar YGs are through the roof.... PSA 10s of early 90s HOF players are up big time too.

I suspect there will be some kind of correction, but I don't think it's going to be THAT big. Honestly, I've been waiting for the bottom to fall out on YGs for years - but it's simply not happening.

I think a lot of what you're seeing is due to the increased interest in cards due to COVID, but some of the sharp jumps is also because hockey has been undervalued compared to other sports for a long time. I don't think we'll ever see the numbers that baseball, basketball, and football get - but I think there is a lot of "if Mike Trout is worth $X, then surely Sidney Crosby should be worth at least $Y" (or use Jordan / Gretzky).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The difference between then and now is that YG's and other high valued cards are short printed

if they start mass producing again, it's all over.
    Last edited by cjb; 10-05-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

The difference between then and now is that YG's and other high valued cards are short printed

if they start mass producing again, it's all over.

Short Printed is relative. Certainly there are less YGs from 2019-20 than there were in 1991-92..... but they're not exactly SP'd compared to most Rookie Cards

I'd be willing to bet they're not even the rarest "non serial numbered" RC (I'd be that OPC Platinum is actually rarer). What makes me suspicious of the YG market (and has for years) that people pay out the nose for a YG, despite there being 20-30x more copies of the card, compared to something like Trilogy or Artifacts. Yes, I realize that's because one is a "staple" that everyone wants (YGs, very collectible) but when you can buy an Elias Petterson YG for $100, or a Trilogy /999 for $20 - Something has to give on a market were people are paying 5x as much money for one card, despite there being so many more copies.

SCF Rewards
    Country

back in the junk was era, rookie cards and youngguns we're not short printed, now they are.....for now

i guess we will never really know because these companies to the best of my knowledge don't release production runs
    Last edited by cjb; 10-05-2020 at 02:06 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

on COMC, I have noticed that basecards of Crosby, Draisaitl, McDavid, Matthews, and Ovechkin have gone up. Price, Petterssen, Gretzky, Roy, Lemieux, and Dryden haven't moved much. Looks like modern collectors are moving in to hoard base singles as prospectors. Buy at 3 cents and sell at 8 cents without any intention of really shipping the card out. I do this too with young guns (over 3000 in stock now... all commons at $0.30-$0.50). Hard to sell common young guns on COMC.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Buy at 3 cents and sell at 8 cents

Do people really do that on comc? And they are happy to make a 5c profit?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do people really do that on comc? And they are happy to make a 5c profit?

I would be surprised if that's actually happening.

There is good money to be made on COMC, with the micro purchases though. Depends on how close attention you're willing to pay, how well you know the rookie crops.

A set like UD Series 1/2: With base cards (of stars) I'm guessing you can sell star base okay (but not for a lot).

ePack transfers keep the numbers high on YGs & Inserts. Makes them tough to move. Since the base cards don't come from ePack, someone had to actually send those cards into COMC. You can buy a McDavid base card for 99 cents right now, there's 11 available. I'm guessing several have sold in that range (or a little higher), because it's McDavid.

The YGs, it's actually a lot easier to make a few bucks than that. Take Teddy Blueger for example. You can buy one right now for 85 cents. There 6 listed for under a dollar, and 21 of them (total) for under $2. If he ends up on a line with Crosby for a month next season, and gets hot (puts up 15 points in 12 games, with a 2 goal / 4 point performance in there) before going back to his norm.... there's a good chance that card is selling for $5, maybe even a little bit more. You're not going to get rich doing this - but if you snap up 20 cards for an average of $1.75, and flip them all for an average of $5: You're doing okay.

Buying for 3 cents, and selling for 8? No. That's not happening.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast