Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See wavescrashing's Items on eBay

1993 Bowman Jumbo Box: To break or not to break

Hello fellow SCFers.
    I recently acquired a very large collection of baseball, football, and basketball cards spanning from the 80s to mid 90s.
    The majority of that collection is comprised of complete sets and unopened wax boxes (some sealed).
    One said box is a jumbo box of 1993 Bowman Baseball.
    The box isn't sealed, but all packs are and seem to be in tact. The gentleman I purchased this collection from was very meticulous on condition and was the original owner of this box.
    With that said, the collection also included a complete set of 1993 Bowman Baseball.

My main goal in any case is to keep a Bowman Jeter rookie for my personal collection and likely sell the rest.

If you were in my shoes would you:
    A.) Sell the Jumbo box and keep the set
    B.) Sell the set and bust the jumbo box
    C.) Sell the jumbo box, pull the Jeter from the set and sell that incomplete
    D.) Sell the set and keep the jumbo box in-tact assuming you have at least 1 Jeter rookie in your collection lying beneath a plastic wrapper

Thanks in advance for your input,

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Country

How much does the Jumbo box go for on eBay and how many Jeters on average would you pull from the box? If I knew the answers to those questions I could tell you. Also would you grade any of the Jeters you pull?
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

How much does the Jumbo box go for on eBay and how many Jeters on average would you pull from the box? If I knew the answers to those questions I could tell you. Also would you grade any of the Jeters you pull?

I've seen auctions of non shrink-wrapped boxes (should've mentioned mine doesn't have the sealed plastic on it) go between $125-150.
    I'm almost certain that the one from the set wouldn't grade higher than a PSA 8. If I thought I had a chance at a 9 or higher on any pulled from packs, I'd grade them.
    I'm not really sure on the average, but the box break videos I've seen have 1 jeter at the most (in jumbo boxes). Most regular box breaks I saw didn't contain a single Jeter.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I would keep the 93 Bowman set, at least you have a Derek Jeter RC! I would break the box and hope you get a Jeter RC!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've seen auctions of non shrink-wrapped boxes (should've mentioned mine doesn't have the sealed plastic on it) go between $125-150.

Seems really low with current box prices of stuff

I'm not really sure on the average, but the box break videos I've seen have 1 jeter at the most (in jumbo boxes). Most regular box breaks I saw didn't contain a single Jeter.

Okay that would be why. The set is pretty garbage outside of the Jeter rookie card and surprising Jeter rookies really don't sell that well considering he just got into the HOF and is suppose to be the most popular player of his generation.

If you need the money sell but if not I'd just hold or have fun breaking it. But if it was me personally I'd sell all day or hold to sell later because the break isn't going to be too exciting other than chasing Jeters IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Seems really low with current box prices of stuff

Okay that would be why. The set is pretty garbage outside of the Jeter rookie card and surprising Jeter rookies really don't sell that well considering he just got into the HOF and is suppose to be the most popular player of his generation.

If you need the money sell but if not I'd just hold or have fun breaking it. But if it was me personally I'd sell all day or hold to sell later because the break isn't going to be too exciting other than chasing Jeters IMO.

Agreed. Decided to sell the box and keep the Jeter from the set.

I'm also keeping some key rcs from nicer sets that were in the collection and selling the incomplete set (e.g. 1993 SP and 1984 Fleer update).