Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    NULL NULL

What type of player is Alexis Lafreniere to the Hobby

So if NYR select Alexis Lafreniere 1st over all or even if they do not, what type of player is he to the hobby? I know out of the gate he will be huge but like Jack Hughes and Kappo Kakko this year. If he has a soft year or a slow start to his career like Hughes and Kakko did will it hurt his value in the hobby? Is he like Nico Hischier, RNH, Jack Hughes Taylor Hall and dare i say Nail Yakupov? So he's good or less but after the hype just a star in the NHL with average star value in the hobby.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The hype around Lafreniere is real, and has been for about two years now. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Matthews in terms of his hobby value than the likes of a Hughes or Patrick. Had the Leafs ball not hit the post yesterday, the value may well have been even higher than Matthews. This kid is a big-time talent.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The hype train.... he's going to be the biggest selling YG since Matthews.

I'm not sure what to think about him. I did see him play a game last season. He looked really good, but he also had moments where he did remind me of Yakupov in Sarnia (I'm NOT trying to compare the two, nor am I suggesting Lafreniere will be a bust. I'm saying that I saw some lazy / bad habbits that don't matter in junior.... but don't work in the NHL).

He's a winger, which makes it more unlikely that he'll take over the NHL as one of the true top-tier players..... In the salary cap era (2005 to current) I would suggest two of the top 10 players are wingers (Ovechkin, Kane). It's much harder for a Winger to achieve that kind of status. For that reason alone: No, I don't see him ever being a top 10 NHLer..... but who kows?

As far as the hobby goes: Rangers have a solid fan base, and French Canadiens love to collect their own. Combine that with the simple fact that everyone wants to collect cards of the newest / hottest rookie: His cards are going to be on fire once UD starts making them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See vsarmy's Items on eBay

Gotta say not all number 1 picks work out. so i myself will wait and see won't go out of my way to get his YG if i get one randomly from a box cool