Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Let's Talk Grading - a thread just for the discussion of Grading Cards

Here is the start.

I have of 900 cards graded by PSA and even a few Beckett and BCCG, ACS graded cards as well. I collect Drew Brees and Dallas Cowboys in raw and graded copies. I'll post up some stuff later!. But this threads is for chatting and questions about grading cards!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

Is it just me or...?

So. I have noticed it’s kinda hard to judge centering once a card has been encased by PSA. Usually there is just enough room for the card to slide around just a little and once one side gets next to the inside of the case it throws off the whole perspective. It’s is amplified in scans when the card isn’t in front of you.

I see so many cards that don’t look centered that got a 10. Guess that’s a whole other discussion about the big customers getting preferential graded....

I have been studying my recently acquired second GM 10 Singletary ‘83 card and trying to figure out which I like better and am having a hard time determining which one has better centering. Or if they are both perfectly centered. I just can’t tell. Guess I’ll have to stare at them some more.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

I saw a centering tool on ebay. It was a little steep for me $15.99, but it made sense what they did to make the device. Personally, if you can't tell, they are probably both centered.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A centering tool??? I’m going to look for it right now

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-GR...C/303098489820

I don't own one, but I like the idea.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I found it. Got one on order. Couldn’t resist.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

Let me know what you think. I was thinking about it as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Will do. Should arrive mid week. Maybe take a week or so after before I really get to play with it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For anyone thinking about the centering tool/ centering gauge mentioned above. I have only played with it for a short time but here are my thoughts I shared with Krunch in a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krunchtyme
    Wasn't sure if I was going to buy one. What's your thoughts?

well.... it works.... but I think for anyone who looks at cards as much as we probably do, our eyes are good enough to tell weather or nots it’s centered enough. I haven’t used it a whole lot but any card I thought was good enough was well within the 60/40 that PSA claims is within the gem mint criteria. How ever some cards that I thought the back was too OC turned out to be within the 75/25 PSA claims to be good enough for a gem mint grade as well for the back of a card.

I found it a little difficult to actually line up the cards edges. I had cards in a penny sleeve while using it. Would probably be easier if I tried with a naked card but I wasn’t going to take that risk. Another thought I had was to maybe tape the card (while in a penny sleeve) to the table and then I could move the gauge around over the card. This way both the card and the gauge are not moving around in my hands. Probably not really a necessary thing to do.

Over all- it can be useful and give you more information about the cards. Expensive for a piece of plastic. Will let you know exactly what the centering is. If you have two cards your trying to decide which one to submit it could help make that decision and in the end, if you think about it, with the cost of submissions, if it helps on just one or two cards it would be worth the cost of the tool.

I don’t have exactly have buyers remorse. I’m glad I now have it and it’s just another tool in the tool box is how I look at it. I’d be a lot happier if it was only $5 or so. I did find others for sale on eBay that where cheaper but even they say they are quality control seconds or something along those lines. Because of that I paid the $15 and bought mine from the guy who makes them.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Thanks for providing the review, its part of what makes this site so great!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.