Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Kobe's second year Topps base now going for triple digits

I have complete sets of 1997-98 series one and two Topps. Had to separate the Kobe from it and put it in a magnetic in a safer place because it's now a triple digit card. Remember when these were common, everywhere, and worth about $2 for years and years? Just crazy.

Other cards I have, keep going up. Luka's Optic RC is now a quarter grand, Kobe's Topps rookie is half grand, and Giannis' Prizm RC can go for as much as $1500.

I have to constantly keep checking my stuff because it keeps skyrocketing. My once-modest card collection is now worth thousands.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Oh my goodness it doesn't stop. Second year Prizm 2013-14 Kawhi BASE is $100, LeBron's even more. AD is about $50. Even Steph Curry's base is $25, and he was a vet at that point. I thought it was only the Giannis from that set that mattered, but lots of the base are hot now too, just like first year Prizm.

With the Suns being on a tear, Devin Booker's rookies are crazy, too. Plain Donruss and Hoops RCs (I have complete sets of 2015-16 both) are $40-$60.

Giannis' Pinnacle is also now over triple digits. Have a complete set of that as well.

I have so many $100+ cards now that I'm running out of special space to store them. I remember when I had about 1 or 2 cards worth that much, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Lakers Toronto Raptors Toronto Blue Jays
    See rjabreu88's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Nice! That kobe is a nice looking card.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Nice! That kobe is a nice looking card.

Thanks!

I'll also add that many of LeBron's second year bases are also worth digging for. I had a box out in the garage of a complete set (minus RCs) of 2004-05 Fleer Tradition, and the LeBron bases in that set now go for $30-$40. A Skybox Autographics LeBron base (from the auto facsimile base set) is about $20 as well. I've since taken those sets out of the garage and put them with my nicer sets.

The rule seems to be that superstar base cards from the 1st or 2nd year of popular sets (such as 2013 Prizm and 2016 Optic), along with 2nd year base cards of superstar players (2004-05 LeBron, 1997-98 Kobe, 2014-15 Giannis, 2013-14 Kawhi, 2010-11 Curry, etc.), are commanding premiums right now. It further depends on the set and era. The Junk Wax era, for example (usually 1988-1994), doesn't carry much value for base -- Shaq's second year Topps (1993-94) isn't worth much -- but 1996 or so onward, especially Topps and higher end sets like Chrome, etc., are worth digging for and looking up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is why I always laugh whenever I see people throwing away base or asking what to do with all of it like it is worthless. A whole ton of people got rid of 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout rookie logos, 2012 Mike Trout issues, base of Brady/Lebron/Kobe/Prizm/etc and now the stuff is worth more than most autographs and game used. Good job keeping all those "hits" and getting rid of your base now guys.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This is why I always laugh whenever I see people throwing away base or asking what to do with all of it like it is worthless. A whole ton of people got rid of 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout rookie logos, 2012 Mike Trout issues, base of Brady/Lebron/Kobe/Prizm/etc and now the stuff is worth more than most autographs and game used. Good job keeping all those "hits" and getting rid of your base now guys.

Yeah, they sure look silly now, don't they? Haha. I'm now even more glad I put together so many sets, including the modest little 1997-98 Topps. I also looked in my Sportlots archives, and I purchased the Kobe Topps rookie for $5.99 back in 2015 to complete that particular series 2 Topps set. I was right about it being single digits. From $6 to $600...yeah I made out pretty well there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Lakers Toronto Raptors Toronto Blue Jays
    See rjabreu88's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

awesome to hear the success stories of budget cards inflating so high. Unfortunately it had to be sad circumstances with the Kobes.

I was working on grabbing his rcs and managed to get all except finest and chrome. I got them all pretty cheap $5-30 cheapest being upper deck and $30 for ex 2000 the rest $10 or $15. Was buying between 2016 and 18.

Also managed to get full base sets of 96/97 Bowman's Best and SP probably for $40 each. I love how those sets look in binders.

Wish I had grabbed a chrome and finest rc to complete the rookie collection.
    Last edited by rjabreu88; 10-09-2020 at 12:10 PM.