Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Guy lafleur rookie original vs Reprint.

hi.

I have 2 Guy Lafleur rookie cards and I have read on line that there is a reprint series of this card.
    I would like to know if this is correct and I so...is there a way to tell the difference between the original and the reprint?

Thanks

Martin

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Here one I found for sale as it shows the back and claims to be the reprint.
    https://www.kronozio.com/card/5a4540...uy-Lafleur-148

Sorry could not have been of more help. Did not find much discussion online about this doing a quick search.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply.

I also did some searching nd did not find anything.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    NULL NULL

The link below might help as its an article on now to spot a Gretzky Fake Rookie. This may help a bit im sure some of what they talk about would be the same.

https://www.beckett.com/news/how-to-...etting-burned/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What do you mean by reprint series? Something that OPC or Topps ran off as part of a set in the 90s or 00s? There was this:

That was part of 2001-02 Topps Archives, but it's clearly a reprint (extra foil logo added, card stock wouldn't even be a little bit similar).

Or do you mean actual reprints - like someone making fake copies?

I'm no expert on vintage... but I think the general rule, if you don't know, is compare that card to another one from the same set. Look at the card stock, the colors, etc. The common card worth a quarter.... and a big crease through the middle, it's almost certainly real. If the Lafleur looks like it's the same kind of card, that's a good indication that it's probably real.

I've never been big into graded cards, but when I was in the market for a Gretzky RC a few years ago, getting one that was slabbed by PSA was the only option for me... as that's the best way to ensure I wasn't getting a fake.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

The photo of the card in the first post is way off centre and edges are rough so odds are good it is original print.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This applies to Gretzky rookies, but might be the same for LaFleur, they card stock used back then was relatively stiff so if the card feels more flimsy than a regular card you might have a fake. Not saying it will be like a piece of paper, but it would be easier to bend than a normal card.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Has anyone been able to distinguish the difference between a real vs fake 1971 OPC? I’m noticing reprints out there that look really good and they are advertised as reprint but I cannot tell the difference

SCF Rewards
    Country

hi.

I have 2 Guy Lafleur rookie cards and I have read on line that there is a reprint series of this card.
    I would like to know if this is correct and I so...is there a way to tell the difference between the original and the reprint?

Thanks

Martin

Well, there are probably reprints of any significant card pre-1990, however in typical fashion your Lafleur rookie is off-centered which is generally something a card counterfeiter wouldn't do back in the 80's during the height of card counterfeiting.. Not to mention the 1971-72 set - both Topps and OPC - had massive centering issues, and maybe 10-20% of that set are centered or have at least 40/60 centering - so that tells me something right there...

Yes, there were counterfeit 71-72 OPC (and Topps, but mostly OPC) Lafleur rookies, but they were generally licensed reprints, and the ones that weren't licensed were clearly reprints, sold in bulk and hawked at card shows as a novelty items for a buck or two.... Lets just say the unlicensed reprints didn't fool anyone.... Yes there were some counterfeits, but over time a lot of them have been weeded out - not to mention a good counterfeit can hold some significant value anyway considering they're more rare than an authentic. So there are collectors out there that actually collect counterfeits, lol...

However, if you want my opinion, just based on the picture - obviously it would be easier to tell examining the card physically - your card looks 100% legit, I mean if I saw your card on eBay or via a trading forum I would be more than comfortable buying/trading for it...

So yea, that's my opinion.... I mean if you're interested in trading the card I would make a pretty solid offer er attempt to acquire it..
    Last edited by Savard18; 02-17-2021 at 10:12 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Has anyone been able to distinguish the difference between a real vs fake 1971 OPC? I’m noticing reprints out there that look really good and they are advertised as reprint but I cannot tell the difference

Yes, I can tell you.... I have a ton of realistic looking reprints because I like to do creative things with them like turn them into magnets or frame them - you know - stuff you wouldn't do with an original... I made a coffee table once with reprints by putting the cards in between a piece of glass and a piece of wood - then mounted that on a base of a previous table I owned... Pretty cool actually...

But back to the answer - the distinction between a real and these reprints are the card stock the cards are printed on.. They feel absolutely nothing like an OPC or Topps.... Not only that but - at least with this card and set - the card is perfectly centered and 90% of 1971-72's are off-centered...

But really just look at the difference between the 2 cards... They look totally different, and without question feel totally different.... I mean OPC card stock is pretty unique and if I remember correctly OPC bought the card stock from the only vendor that carried that type of card stock in Canada.... I'm sure the card stock could be reproduced but to make hockey cards? lol.... I mean one would think if someone is going to make good counterfeits they will invest a lot of money into their operation and would expect a significant return on that investment, and I just don't see that happening with hockey cards, lol...

Don't get me wrong there are some pretty sophisticated reprints and counterfeits out there, but the ends have to justify the means..

A long time ago I read a book on the hobby and the authors got into detail how counterfeiters made realistic counterfeits and what they would do is obtain uncut sheets and carefully bleach them, then use advanced and or time period printing technology to print the cards...

But yea, those reprints - buy one and when it arrives feel it.. I know it looks real and it does look real even in a top loader but when you feel it - it feels like plastic.. Those cards are printed on card stock that cannot and never will be close to Topps or OPC card stock... Sure, they may fool someone that knows absolutely nothing about cards, and have never held a "vintage" Topps or OPC from that era....