Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

1933 Goudey Mickey Cochrane

Hello! I am new here. I just obtained a 1933 Goudey Mickey Cochrane graded authentic by SGC and wanted some input on what you guys think it might grade on a numerical scale?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

@VintageHoarder- Welcome to SCF! I'm no grading expert, but it's a great pick-up either way.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

It won’t grade on a numerical scale. It got the “authentic” Grade because at some point in time they determined it was altered in some way shape or form. Could have had the edges trimmed to help give it better centering, sharper corners etc or it could have been colored to help hide defects, printing flaws chipping etc. or any other number or combination of reasons why they determined it so If and when the third party graders determine a card was altered they will not give it a numerical grade and only say it’s authentic and let you know they do believe it to be a real card not a counterfeit.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh, ok. I see now. Well, that does make sense as to why it is only graded that. Thanks for the response. Still a nice card, regardless.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I 100% echo Fire obs sentiments on this card. Awesome pick up, looks great! BUT. it wouldnt likely grade to a number.

Psa and others will "authenticate" a twall card that has been trimmed, colored or other wise altered but wont provide a grade .

The authentic is usually given to a card that would grafe less than 1 or isnt grable for anothwr reason. Sonce this looks way beeter than a 1. It must be a different issue.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I 100% echo Fire obs sentiments on this card. Awesome pick up, looks great! BUT. it wouldnt likely grade to a number.

Psa and others will "authenticate" a twall card that has been trimmed, colored or other wise altered but wont provide a grade .

The authentic is usually given to a card that would grafe less than 1 or isnt grable for anothwr reason. Sonce this looks way beeter than a 1. It must be a different issue.

So, basically, it is what it is. Probably wouldn't do any good to crack it for a regrade?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

I wouldn't .

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

It’s a great looking card regardless. No I wouldn’t crack it open. If you bought it for your personal collection just enjoy it. If you bought it for an investment because it was cheap and to crack open to regrade and then resell, sorry to say this might be a lesson learned situation.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

Here is a quote from the PSA website: The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more. AA Authentic Altered - This means that while PSA is certifying that the item is genuine, due to the existence of alterations, the item cannot receive a numerical grade.

So this is as clear as mud. They seem to not count "trimmed" as altered in all cases. I know people can show us both. I've had PSA send cards back to me direct from the package: 1978 Topps, as min size requirement issues. And also no holder avail, when I know for a fact they grade the specific card.

Either way..Awesome card, looks amazing, I wouldn't risk the crack open because they may say altered (which happened to me on a 1954 Jackie Robinson) and return it with no grade and no slab.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This just goes to prove that not everything is worth grading. There seems to be too many gray areas with grading, and this just seems to be one of them. How many have actually slipped through the cracks with a numerical grade? Is it really fair for a numerical graded card (that's truly been trimmed) to be worth more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast