Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

1997-98 Pinnacle Mint question.

In an attempt to find some missing Curtis Joseph cards I’ve been watching the market for 1997-98 Pinnacle Mint for some time. I find this market to be very inactive for the short printed coin inserts. These are

Brass Artists Proof - limited to 500
    Nickel-Silver Artists Proof - limited to 250 - 1:48
    Solid Silver - limited to 10 - 1:288
    Gold Plate 1:199
    Gold Plate Artists Proof - limited to 100
    Solid Gold - limited to 1 - 1:47 000
    https://www.dacardworld.com/sports-c...ckey-hobby-box

Don't know if all these numbers are accurate but if they are it should be a whole of them in circulation. But there’s not much listings or updates for these inserts at neither Ebay, COMC or other sites. Anyone knows the reason for this?

Are there still many unopened boxes out there?
    Are hockey card collectors not interested in these coins and nobody bothers to sell?
    Are most of it out but collectors enjoy them too much in their collections?
    Are there other collectors (coin collectors?) who has grabbed many of them?

I do know they only released Pinnacle Mint set in 96-97 and 97-98 so that indicate they weren't so popular back in the days.

Would appreciate some more info about this and if somebody have Gold Plate Artists Proof (/100) or Nickel Silver Artists Proof (/250) on Curtis Joseph I’m very interested.

SCF Rewards
    Country

One the set was not popular and still not popular. The coins are even less collected than the cards because a lot of card collectors do not like non card stuff. Two the stuff came out before eBay and the internet were popular so a lot of it never made it to eBay like a product would now. That stuff got lost to attics, card show boxes, or just thrown away.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

One the set was not popular and still not popular. The coins are even less collected than the cards because a lot of card collectors do not like non card stuff. Two the stuff came out before eBay and the internet were popular so a lot of it never made it to eBay like a product would now. That stuff got lost to attics, card show boxes, or just thrown away.

This is exactly it.

I remember the set well, thought it was neat, and even bought some packs. Overall, it was a total bust. I'll offer up the fact that UD tried to get into the Coin game (for hockey) a few years ago.... and the number of BOGO sales on ePack with those coins, I'm guessing it was mostly a flop too.

That stuff got lost to attics, card show boxes, or just thrown away.

That would be my guess too.

Keep looking, it might take years, and an overpayment, but one should show up eventually.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for your answers and for confirming the theory they're not so popular. Still a bit surprising there aren't more listings on the short printed sets because many of them sell for some decent money when they show up.
    I also suspect there are a lot of unopened boxes left. Not hard to find if you want one. And they are selling quite cheap too if you consider you could get some really rare stuff in the boxes. Here's one seller on this forum who sells a lot of these boxes for just $25 each. And I've seen some ebay auctions for even less.
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...5#post14862175

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was 10 years old when these came out and loved them. It was right after the POG craze and I kept the coins with my POGs. While I agree with the above comments (as I have no interest in them as an adult and have stacks of them) I think another contributing factor to their lack of listings are quality and mis-identification. I kept all of mine in a bunch and they are all scratched up (so worthless) but also I noticed one coin did not patina like the other brass coins and it turned out to be a gold-plated Lindros. It is very hard to read "gold plate" on the reverse side and you cannot tell the color difference from a brass coin when pack fresh.