Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mitch Miller ??

SCF Rewards
    Country

All jokes aside, apparently he's been offered a deal in the KHL......

As for Heatley, I think it's a very different beast. I'm certainly not trying to minimize what he did - but there was no ill intentions there. Stupid decisions? Yes. He killed one of his best friends, and that's something he's going to have to live with for the rest of his life. Money likely got him off lightly on the sentence.... but I don't think he's ever tried to "not own" what he did, and the Snyder family was supportive of him getting off easy.

Craig MacTavish is another one with a similar past incident to Healtly.... though he killed a random woman in a drunk accident, rather than a friend / passenger. Pretty sure he did spend time in jail for it, and Boston dealt him to the Oilers afterwards - basically, get him out of town so he could start over.

There will likely be some more differences of opinions but at what age do most of you think people should be held accountable for what they think and do.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There will likely be some more differences of opinions but at what age do most of you think people should be held accountable for what they think and do.

If you're looking for a black & white answer, I can't give you one - because I don't think one necessarily exists. I also think "accountable" is relative.

I think a 14 year old is absolutely mature enough to understand right from wrong. I think many 14 year olds are also immature enough to have a poor idea of what "funny" should be. I think most 14 year olds have a hard time grasping long lasting consequences. (an aside, I think it's insane that 15 & 16 year olds are supposed to be making educational decisions that will effect the rest of their lives).

Of course, I'd say the same thing about 24 year olds. Not all 24 year olds, but I will openly state that at the age of 24, I was hardly a grown up - and had much more in common with my 18 year old self, than I did with my 30 year old self.

Was this kid at 14 really a monster that hates disabled and/or black people? Or did he target the easiest kid to pick on, to get laughs out of his friends? Is he simply too self-absorbed, living in a world that only revolves around himself, to understand the severity of what he did?

I'm not talking about Miller specifically here - but if a 14 year old commits murder, they are often tried as an adult (and I don't pretend to know the difference - but I expect jurisdiction has a big part of it.... and the specifics of the case).

There's the proverbial line that one should not cross. I think where that line is moves as we age.... but if you're old enough to be able to think for yourself, know right from wrong, and be able to reason - Then the line exists.

At 14, what he did was deemed serious enough that it warranted criminal charges. I'd have to look it up, but I'm guessing in Ohio that 14 year olds don't get charged for simply being the school bully very often. They have really take it to extremes for that to happen.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

The ball is very much in Mitchell's court. He has been sent a clear message about what teams think of his past behaviour. It has cost him hockey opportunities. It is now up to him to show growth in his character and not just remorse, but an understanding as to why this has all happened to him, and he needs to take it on the chin and never play the victim. If he is genuine in his character rehabilitation, and he is a good enough player to be given a shot from a hockey standpoint, I'm sure a door will open for him. Does he have the requisite humility and work ethic to make it happen? That's up to him now.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Pete
    That incident was only 4 years ago. I have to agree with the sentiments others have expressed. Miller and his support team, the Coyotes and UND have all done a very poor job of preparing to address this incident. It's almost like some of the people close to him and the Coyotes organization simply hoped it would be forgotten rather than developing a strategy to show how Miller is a changed person and is willing to make amends for a serious error in judgement.

Regardless of how you all feel he has been completely cancelled for something he did as a fourteen year old. How may of you would be cancelled for something stupid you did as a kid?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...2ez6mJobpxzvwg

I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

It's not the age so much as what a person does later to show remorse and become a better person.Most 14 year olds have a pretty good grasp on knowing right from wrong. Bullying is an indication of some serious character flaws possibly due to his upbringing and home life. This wasn't a case of a kid stealing candy from a store because he had no money, it's a situation of callous behavior directed at a minority person with special needs.
    Last edited by jsokol1626; 11-03-2020 at 10:37 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's not the age so much as what a person does later to show remorse and become a better person.Most 14 year olds have a pretty good grasp on knowing right from wrong. Bullying is an indication of some serious character flaws possibly due to his upbringing and home life. This was a case of a kid stealing candy from a store because he had no money, it's a situation of callous behavior directed at a minority person with special needs.

I understand. Any youth with serious behaviour problems don't get to continue the development of their planned careers while they are being rehabilitated. If you picked a career with a small window of opportunity it sucks to be you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123